A Study of DMLs as a Full Range Speaker

Xrk971.
As far as I know mp3 is not on the list of formats to use on this site?
I'd be pretty anoyed if it is ,as it look me a long time to sort out mp4 recording.
Your can download the VLC app for phone use, this is what I use to convert on my computer, it works on my Samsung phone ?
Steve.

Soak those cardboard panels in some slightly watered down Mod Podge and let 'um dry for a few days.. :cool:
I have never heard of Mod Podge... Did some googling and... found that is PVA with about 1/3 extra water and a fancy brand name. Maybe I am wrong.
I have few honeycomb cardboard panels 10mm and 15mm. It would be nice if something like this or similar can stiffen them up. I was planning to cover them with cheese cloth soaked in watered down PVA and measure the sound response.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Xrk971.
As far as I know mp3 is not on the list of formats to use on this site?
I'd be pretty anoyed if it is ,as it look me a long time to sort out mp4 recording.
Your can download the VLC app for phone use, this is what I use to convert on my computer, it works on my Samsung phone ?
Steve.

The trick is to change the file name extension of MP3 to .ASC (.ASC is accepted file format) and then tell users they need to rename the files to .MP3 to listen.

I did this for many threads where I posted sound comparisons between different drivers under identical conditions (same chain, song, and level) for people to listen and vote on in these threads:

A Subjective Blind Comparison of 3in to 5in Full Range Drivers

A Subjective Blind Comparison of 3in to 5in drivers - Round 2

A Subjective Blind Comparison of 2in to 4in drivers - Round 3

A Subjective Blind Comparison of 2in to 4in drivers - Round 4

A Subjective Blind Comparison of 2in to 3.5in drivers - Round 5

There used to be a 1.8MB file limit but I think that has been relaxed.

Many people are using the spline to support the transducer. Is it only me concerned that the contact points negatively effect the resonating surface? Essentially we are adding dampening in this manner but if we add dampening using putty we put it on in a trial and error technique to listen and place dampening to improve response. Here we just add it and accept wherever results happen. And by linking the transducer to the edges of the resonating surface aren't we just making a piston (cone) type speaker? Imagine a cone speaker where you cut the foam suspension around the edge and leave four parts of it connected. Same thing.
If the object of this spline is to remove the gravitational downward force on the transducers diaphragm in an attempt to preserve it there is a better solution.
Tie a string on the rear of the transducer. Run it up and around a pulley and hang a weight equal to the weight of the transducers magnet on the end. The pulley would not be connected to the resonating surface but to the wall behind it or the ceiling. Now both the resonating surface and the transducer are hanging from a nylon string. Gravity is now canceled.

I have never heard of Mod Podge... Did some googling and... found that is PVA with about 1/3 extra water and a fancy brand name. Maybe I am wrong.
I have few honeycomb cardboard panels 10mm and 15mm. It would be nice if something like this or similar can stiffen them up. I was planning to cover them with cheese cloth soaked in watered down PVA and measure the sound response.

Mod Podge is very similar to white glue but is waterproof after it dries. It can have a gloss or satin finish, depending on the type you purchase. It dries very clear and stays somewhat flexible. I'm sure it will provide some damping..

Xrk971.
asc is still down as 1.9mb and mp4 is 9.5mb,so mp4 is my preferred choice .
VLC is a good free app and works well on computer and phone, very handy in fact ,I recommend you download it if you want to listen to my recordings I have made so far ?

The balsa panels I ordered turned out to be ply ,not basswood, so have returned them.
I will have to go to my local hobby store to make sure I get the right product, there seem to be a lot of sellers selling ply and calling it basswood ???
I was tempted to test the balsa ply ,but I was sooooo annoyed that they were wasting my time selling the wrong product,maybe another time :redhot: when I've cooled off:D
If I'm lucky I should end up with a 150x200mm panel,but when I will get around to it I don't know ? I'm very busy at the moment.

Over on ,nxt rubbish,there were quite a few experiments with corrugated cardboard,injecting liquids in between the layers to stiffen the board.
I was not interested in using cc anymore so never went down this road.
Cardboard can bend badly when wetted, so he warned.
Steve.

Normgroo.
Don't worry you are not the only one that worries about the exciter , spine , and panel interfering with each other.
With small light panels you can just glue the panel to the exciter,the exciter can be rigidly mounted in some way or left hanging nothing needs to touch the panel itself.
My rigidly framed ply panels can have a spine of not as it made very little difference.
Supporting the exciter and panel separately is also another method ,which I use , although you do need to support the panel in some way,which causes some contact with the panel in some way,of course.
I have found in some cases that it is a good idea ,if you are using a spine to support the exciter,to use the same mounting points on the panel that you would be using to damp the panel responses, negating the need for two extra unnecessary mounting points on the panel.
I don't think I have any surviving panels left to demonstrate , so you'll just have to take my word that it can work, if needed.
Steve.

Off grid.
I do intend to do a comparison of say the veneer panel and a card panel to see how they perform differently.
I usually pva two cards together which brings the thickness up to just over 1mm.
This matches the veneer well , apart from that I will match what I do to them and make comparisons.
When I get the basswood I'll do the same.
Should be interesting, and fun :D
When I get time.
Steve.

Mpte.
Can't say that I have noticed much of a difference in sound ,not that I have concentrated too hard on the subject.
But it can make a lot of difference if the panel you are using vibrates heavily in the corners.
I had to round the corners off of my veneer panel as the corners were making the whole panel shake all over the place , uncontrollably.
I had a 3mm ply pane 2x3ft that had the same problem, I'd braced two sides of the panel so that three corners were braced .
The forth corner flapped about like an industrial fan, very efficient if you want a cool breeze :confused:
There is a lot of energy at these points.
I believe i never got around to mounting the panel at these corner points to see what the effect would be on the rest of the panel ?
I rigidly mounted the edges of the whole 3mm ply panrl in the end ,so never had the problem again with that panel.
Steve.

Hmmm, I wonder if these with metal foil attached and up to 12" in size might work even better? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WDD8JB...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Or how about something like this with a scalloped edge to really break up any standing waves: https://www.amazon.com/Round-Cake-B...a8174&pd_rd_wg=GgSvd&pd_rd_i=B07CZGDX4Q&psc=1

Or something rectangular: https://www.amazon.com/Enjay-Rectan...ke+boards&qid=1625264501&s=home-garden&sr=1-4

Last edited: