A Study of DMLs as a Full Range Speaker

OK, inspired by this thread, my DMLs are starting to take shape. I largely took inspiration from your French design, BurtCoil.

This is how they are behaving with a cheap sub, and a hint of HiFiBerry DSP.

photo host

They sound great. I'm wearing them as headphones in the office and they compare quite well to my KEF system.

That looks like a nice flat response, well done.

Covid.
Nice wood work.

Can't believe tectonic are selling my exciters DEAX25c10 for over £22 from RS ,I bought mine (40 of them),from parts express for a couple of pounds a pair,a bargain sell off at least 10years ago.
That must mean I have about 30 panels lying around the house somewhere! Plus the ones I gave to friends.
My really big eps panels are in the loft out of the way,I accidentally ripped the exciter off one of the smaller eps (2x4ft)panels yesterday , suddenly thought I could glue it on again and do a recording to show how they sound,they are all test panels so none are exactly the same so it's a bit of mix and match.
I could even demonstrate the resonant sound a large panel makes when the music is stopped?
Steve

Exciter Types and Performance

Spedge raised a very interesting point a few posts back that got me thinking. Exciters, just like any transducer, have differing performances according to voice coil size, suspension design, impedance etc. I thought it would be interesting to review the data sheets to see what interesting information could be gathered. The following exciters are all sold by Dayton. This is for a very simple reason, they have a wide range of exciters and each model is tested using the same methods and the data presented in a consistent way making comparisons viable. Other manufacturers do provide data, just not in as much detail and it is not presented in a comparable way. I also need to note that the exciters are branded Dayton, but as far as I can tell all are manufactured in China by the same company. Let me know if this is not correct.

The following table covers the key parameters taken from the published data sheets

Model Designation
Voice-coil size
Power rating
Impedance
Suspension Type ( where available- usually suspension is fabric based )
-5dB range from chart ( based on 75dB/SPL reference or, where higher efficiency exciters are concerned circa 80dB/SPL)

Note that this last factor is taken from the frequency response measured by Dayton using their standard setup, specifically “1/3rd octave smoothing * measurement taken with transducer adhered off*center on a 12" x 12" x 1⁄2" foam core board in an infinite baffle setup.

I have also included the Parts Express customer feedback which is a mix of performance, features and value.

Model Designation DAEX19CT*4 Coin Type 19mm Exciter 5W 4 Ohm
Voice-coil size 19mm
Power rating 5w
Impedance 4 Ohms
Suspension Type N/A
-5dB range from chart ( based on 75dB/SPL reference) 60Hz- 20KHz

N.B.-this exciter has a very flat response.

Parts Express customer rating 4.3/5

Model Designation DAEX19SL*4 Slimline Coin Type 19mm Exciter 4W 4 Ohm
Voice-coil size 19mm
Power rating 4w
Impedance 4 Ohms
Suspension Type Dual suspension
-5dB range from chart ( based on 75dB/SPL reference) 70Hz-22KHz

N.B. This exciter has a flat response

Parts Express customer rating . N/A (there is one comment but this is based on the exciters physical size not its performance)

Model Designation DAEX25VT*4 Vented 25mm Exciter 20W 4 Ohm
Voice-coil size 25mm
Power rating 20W
Impedance 4 Ohms
Suspension Type N/A
-5dB range from chart ( based on 75dB/SPL reference) 100Hz-15KHz

N.B. This exciter has a varying frequency response from 5K to 20K with an average -10 dB/O response with a peak at 13KHz.
EQ will be required.

Parts Express customer rating 4.7/5

Model Designation DAEX25FHE*4 Framed High Efficiency 25mm Exciter
Voice-coil size 25mm
Power rating 24W
Impedance 4.3 Ohms
Suspension Type N/A
-5dB range from chart ( based on 75dB/SPL reference) 75Hz to 25 KHz

N.B. This exciter has a varying frequency response from 5K to 12K with an average -10 dB/O response to 12KHz and a peak at 18KHz.
EQ will be required.

Parts Express customer rating 4.7/5

Model Designation DAEX25SHF*4 Steered High Flux 25mm Exciter 20W
Voice-coil size 25mm
Power rating 20W
Impedance 4.3 Ohms
Suspension Type N/A
-5dB range from chart (NOTE based on 95dB/SPL reference) 60Hz ( estimated from slope) - 15Khz

N.B.This exciter has a very high output making direct comparison difficult. The response is notably extended reaching 20KHz at 10dB down from the reference. The HF response falls at circa 10dB/O from 7KHz to 10KHz and then has a peaked response about 15KHz. EQ is required.

Parts Express customer rating 4.0/5

Model Designation DAEX30HESF*4 High Efficiency Steered Flux Exciter with Shielding 30 mm Exciter 40W 4 Ohm
Voice-coil size 30mm
Power rating 40W
Impedance 4 Ohm
Suspension Type N/A
-5dB range from chart ( based on 75dB/SPL reference) 50Hz ( estimated from slope) - 22KHz ( estimated from slope)

N.B. This exciter has a gentle and smooth sloping response from a peak at 130Hz drooping 10dB to 10Hz and then a -10 dB/O slope from 10Hz to 20Hz. EQ is required but the response is very even with no significant peaks or dips.

Parts Express customer rating 4.9/5

Model Designation DAEX32Q*4 Dual Steel Spring Balanced Exciter 32mm 20W 4 Ohm
Voice-coil size 32mm
Power rating 20W
Impedance 4 Ohm
Suspension Type Dual steel spider design to better support the large neodymium motor
-5dB range from chart ( NOTE based on 80 dB/SPL reference) 90Hz- 10KHz

N.B. This exciter has a smooth response with a mild slope from 200Hz to 7KHz ( 10dB drop in output) and then a 10dB/O slope to 20KHz.
EQ is required but the response is very smooth with correction needed to the slopes to achieve a flat response.

Parts Express customer rating 3/5

Model Designation DAEX32EP-4 Thruster 32mm Exciter 40W 4 Ohm
Voice-coil size 32mm
Power rating 40W
Impedance 4 Ohm
Suspension Type Steel spider
-5dB range from chart ( NOTE based on 80dB/SPL reference)

N.B. This exciter ( which I use) has a peak at 140Hz and then a falling response ( 15dB) to 3KHz, then a rise of 10db to 5KHz followed by a falling response of 15dB to 20KHz. EQ will be required. Although this response is ‘lumpy’, in practice I have found it is easy to deliver a flat frequency response.

Parts Express customer rating 4.5/5

I hope you find this useful.

Burnt

Reactions: 1 user
As that is a little heavy I thought a summary would help.

19mm diameter exciters ( 2 reported) exhibit a wide bandwidth and a smooth response. They may not need EQ depending on the response you get with your choice of panel material and size. They are limited by their power rating.

25mm diameter exciters ( 3 reported) have a wide bandwidth but not as smooth as the 19mm exciters. EQ will probably be required for a ‘perfect’ frequency response. They have good power handling and on lighter panels will give good volume.

One 25mm exciter, the DAEX25SHF*4 Steered High Flux 25mm, has a significantly higher output and a smooth response.

30mm diameter exciters (1 reported) This exciter DAEX30HESF*4 High Efficiency Steered Flux Exciter has a wide bandwidth and a smooth response. Some EQ is required but for slope correction, not dip or peak correction. It has a high power handling.

32mm diameter exciters ( 2 reported) This is a mixed bag response. Bandwidth for one exciter, DAEX32Q*4 Dual Steel Spring Balanced Exciter 32mm, was wide with a smooth response, one of the better technical performances, but the sound was not considered high quality in the comments hence the 3/5 rating.The ‘poor sound’ is reported on two sites, Parts Express and SoundImports. I can’t comment myself as I have not heard this exciter. Its a bit of a puzzle. It does suggest that the dual steel suspension is holding it back.

The second 32mm exciter has a more limited bandwidth and a ‘lumpier’ response but gets a good score for performance 4/5. I have used this exciter and have got a very good sound out of it with the appropriate use of EQ to even out its dips and peaks. It has a steel spider but in this case it doesn’t seem to impact on its performance.

Having reviewed all of this I have ordered the DAEX30HESF*4 High Efficiency Steered Flux Exciter for a trial. More news later on that.

Right, enough data and theory, the DIY stores are open and its time to get back on track testing tall V rectangular panels and that bass performance mystery

Burnt

eps.
the right eps panel is 1.7m x60cm 25mm thick,it has been sanded but not coated ,so does have a slight resonance .
the left is eps 1.15m x50cm also 25mm thick, it has a coating and tapering sides, no resonance ,panel stops when pause pressed.
i played this very loud to minimise noise and had the mic at about 1m in front with panels facing down the room,not pointing at the mic.
steve

Attachments

• drum eps mp4.mp4
    4.3 MB
  • Thank You
Reactions: 1 user
Just realised that I made a bit of a balls up of the last recording,I didn't adjust the LF driver's to match the panels,they were hardly working,so the recording was mainly just the panels,I was a bit puzzled by the room dip at 200hz which the LF driver's should have filled .
Only found out when swapping to another panel,couldn't understand why they were so low,thought there was something wrong with my amp.
So the recording was of the panels playing full range on their own.
Burntcoil.
That exciter you chose does look the best of the bunch on that material they tested.
They all (except the 19 ml)had poor response above 10k,down to the foam board I believe,why they chose foam board I don't know.
Interesting to see the response on ply panels.
Steve

@Spedge

It is interesting that they all have the >10k dip. If I understood more about exciter design I would be tempted to have a go at one myself. It might be the inductance in the coils that are rolling of the top end, inductance will be lower in the 19mm voice coil, just as it is with a tweeter voice coil or they would roll off early as well.

For some reason I can't open your mp4 file so I will wait for the next one.

Cheers

Burnt

Burntcoil.
The mp4 plays on my kindle fire and win 10 but not on my Samsung galaxy?
I converted it using VLC , not sure why it plays on one but not the other.
If anyone has any answers to me doing something wrong let me know.

The frequency responses for the various parts express exciters says more to me about the panel material than the exciters .
It is late and I need my sleep.
Maybe talk about this tomorrow,or not.
Steve

Hi Steve,

So I spent a bit more time today. It just didn't want to know playing from the site by Macbook or iPhone but after downloading the files using my phone and transferring from my phone to my Laptop I got it to play with VLC. Glad I did. Good sound! Very clear with sharp transients and impact on the drum strikes. Nice snaredrum 'thwack' and clean guitar with plenty of bite.

Good stuff, although obviously I was listening via my panels so it may be even better.

Burnt

Burntcoil.

The frequency responses for the various parts express exciters says more to me about the panel material than the exciters .
It is late and I need my sleep.
Maybe talk about this tomorrow,or not.
Steve

Morning Steve!

Materials certainly have a big effect. If I look at the Dayton response graph based on their EPS test panel and the REW measured response from my ply panels with no EQ there are obvious differences. However, the sloped top end it common to both which suggests it might be the exciter. I am a champion straw grabber!

Best

Burnt

Burntcoil.
The parts express panel is foam core board,not eps,so will be very lossy in the top end.
My ply panels have a large peak in HF from 10to20k .
5mm foam core board from craft stores ,with paper coating ,struggle to reach 8k if I remember correctly.
25mm 70 grade esp will give good response up to 10k with a flat shelf to 20k at about minus 5to10db .
10mm HDeps can give give a good flat response to 20k.
This is with my 25mm exciter ,which is the correct response?
30mm coils do seem to have problems reaching above10to15k,hopefully the one you have chosen will buck the trend,it looks promising.
At a guess ,I'd say that the low powered 19mm exciter is having trouble driving the foam board efficiently below 10k so much so that it matches the poor foam board HF performance above 10k,if you get my drift.
Not a good match ,even if it looks good frequency wise.
Steve

@Spedge

Good data and point well made. I have a really long list of things i want to test but an obvious one would be the same exciter with panels of different materials. I did try that way back with Tectonic exciters and using CF, Ply and foamcore. The foamcore was so bad I abandoned it. I didn't have decent measuring gear at the time so its worth a repeat test this summer with EPS XPS Ply and CF.

I agree that the small 19mm exciters don't have the output to energise a panel properly unless you use them in arrays which introduces another set of problems.

Your ply performance is interesting. If you have shared the details of the board before could you point me at the post. If not it would be good to find out more.

Best to all

Burnt

As I am now well sucked in,can anyone suggest which Dayton exciters I should buy either 4 or 8 ohms which have the smoothest response and will be easy to listen to without ear fatigue.Thanks.

High Leo

From the specifications I have seen to date this exciter has the best frequency response DAEX30HESF*4 High Efficiency Steered Flux Exciter with Shielding 30 mm Exciter 40W 4 Ohm. You might find this a useful reference exciter and have a look at some of the others out there.

If you are happy to EQ I get great results with the DAEX32EP-4 so if you have access to a minidsp or equivalent this will work.

You might find my earlier post #1984 helpful as I cover a few.

Burnt

Burntcoil.
I would recommend using headphones for the recordings ,to get that being there sensation.
But your comments about the sound is quite revealing,70 grade 1inch eps has a sound that is very close to horn loading,fast and dynamic with plenty of detail and super efficient.
I should point out that the microphones only go up to about 9k before dropping like a brick,I was going to try another pair but thought I'd keep the consistency with the other recordings.
Having the microphone 1m in front of the panels seems to minimise the room response which is good but gives the effect of the microphone wearing headphones, hence recommending headphones.
Steve

Hi Steve,

I will give it a try with headphones. Don’t worry about your mike, my hearing does the same at around 12KHz. Even the best high end monitors can’t replay the highest frequency output of some instruments which can have harmonic output at 80KHz. This is an interesting article on the topic. There's life above 20 kilohertz! A survey of musical instrument spectra to 102.4 kHz

Would you mind posting the detail on the ply you are using, I am keen to try a sample if I can source it.

Have a good Sunday

Burnt

Burntcoil.
To keep the microphone computer noise down ,I played the panels very loud ,and that was set up to be very loud from my seating position 10ft back.
The dynamics on drums and percussion instruments is astounding,also if someone is belting out a trumpet solo there is no restriction on headroom, you will get the full force of the trumpet,this can cause exquisite pain with the realism of a real trumpet belting out in your room ,this is something I have never heard from any other speakers.

When I first tested eps panels many years ago ,I used an Alan parsons test disc , which has machine gun firing on a range,well!! It was a shock,and I don't just mean suprise,the air was pounding on my chest and lungs!
My wife's friends were visiting ,the husband ,who is also into audio,stuck his head round the door while I was playing the machine gun firing,and commented that he could feel his teeth rattling around in his jaw.
My IMF's sounded like a wet fart in comparison,they couldn't even come close to these sorts of dynamics,most normal speakers would suffer damage if tried to push to these sorts of levels,and this is with a 10watt exciter!!!!!
Although now days I mainly make small panels with various materials (mainly because people keep saying it can't be done) which sound very good (haven't done the machine gun test on them,not sure how they'd fare) almost as good as large panels in some respects and better in other respects, it's down to what size room you are trying to fill and the wife factor.
Steve