80W Hybrid Audio Amplifier!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'd like to share my contribution to the hybrid amp family: ANUBIS. It was built on what was an all solid state power amplifier PCB, something not unlike Rod Elliot's P3A. With some minor modification and creativity, almost any Lin Topology amplifier PCB can be used.

Click here for more info.

Attachments

• 20140712_234515.jpg
    20140712_234515.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 1,299
  • 20140720_165035.jpg
    20140720_165035.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 1,268
  • Hybrid_OCL150w_v11.png
    Hybrid_OCL150w_v11.png
    36.3 KB · Views: 1,300
  • V doubler2.jpg
    V doubler2.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 1,278
Hi

I made IOTA-CD few years ago, and tried to measure some characteristics with an USB soundcard (Behringer UCA202; 16bit, 48kHz), but only that i could conclude is that amplifier distortions (phase, harmonic, IMD) was below soundcards level, so it was unmeasurable with that "equipment". Only that i could measure precisely is a frequency response, and it's flat in the measurement range of the sound card (<24kHz).

I can't compare it to the DOGC-MK3, I din't listen DOGC enough and in the same conditions as this amp, but I can tell that IOTA-CD sounds very nice to me, and other people who listened it shares the same experiance.

p.s. sorry for my bad English :)

Fact is that IOTA-CD sound really marvelous, but I don't think it is because of tubes in LTP, for, DOGC-MK3 and DOGC-H sounds at least equally good. Primarily, difference is in “character” of overall sound and for me it is hard to describe that by words.

>>Just to make a hybrid amp for fun, excercise etc......<<

Frankly, all of that together and also that include challenge and curiosity, but certainly not because I believe tubes are better or that they will bring some superiority regarding sound or anything else.

I have no doubt, that IOTA-CD sounds very nice. But what is the reason for tube instead of mosfets? Just to make a hybrid amp for fun, excercise etc. or there are sonic benefits to this approach?

Hi Kacernator,

I'll try to explain. I have designed a number of hybrid amplifiers, involving 12AU7 tubes.
First of all - from engineering point of view.

Most of the amplifiers use NFB, that corrects lots of non-linearities and other unwanted artifacts. However, in order to have the amp as good as possible with NFB loop closed, we need to have it as good as possible with the loop open. Active device(s) at the very input is extremely important.

Some tubes have got a unique combination of characteristics, combined in one part - low noise, high linearity, low input capacitance, unique "soft" behavior when slightly overloaded, resulting in excellent handling of fast transients at the edge of amplitude swing.

See my live measurement results for one of my latest designs >HERE<
Soft clipping, square wave handling, THD, inter-modulation... you would rarely see THD at 1KHz and 20KHz being the same. Outstanding phase response.
Measurements of the whole amp with 8 ohm load, utilizing this front-end is >HERE<
Output stage slows down the whole thing a little as expected, but it is still showing very high performance.

Now, sonically, it results in a very natural sound reproduction. Excellent micro-dynamics, transparency, lots of nuances, comfortable listening.

Can we reach similar qualities without using tubes? Yes - no doubt - we can. With some complications and still with some differences.

The right tube, used the right way, sounds great.
That's why I use them. I don't see any difficulties or stop-factors with regards to using them.

Well, that's my personal view :)

Cheers,
Valery

P.S. It's definitely not the only way to go, but one of the good ways ;)

Last edited:
Primarily, difference is in “character” of overall sound and for me it is hard to describe that by words.

It would be nice if you try to describe the difference, because you are propably only one who has listened to both amplifiers. And as both amps are almost the same except the tube/mosfet input stage, we would know what tube can bring in terms of sonics.

Do you think that tube input is worth the effort despite more complex power supplies for tube stage - HV, heaters, delayed-start?

Thank you.

There is nothing to be further developed regarding this one! Design is fully functional, built and presented before 50+ audiences on last audiophile-meeting in Kragujevac on 03 of May 2014. Amp attracted significant attention for beautiful, transparent, precise and natural sound.

***Sorry, PCB files are not available exactlly because of people like RADIO and alike!!!

Hello Bora, which of your amplifier is your favorite?

IOTA-CD PCBs

Hi,

I have designed PCB board for IOTA-CD hybrid amplifier in Eagle 6.5.

I have now listened to DOGC-MK3 amplifier and compared to Symasym, DOGC is better in every aspect - airy, 3D, rich, sounds more like music. Now I really wonder what tube input stage could bring to the sound, because now with mosfet input sounds perfect!

Thank you Bora for very good design!

Attachments

• IOTA-CD_PCB.zip
    115.7 KB · Views: 542
Hi,

I have designed PCB board for IOTA-CD hybrid amplifier in Eagle 6.5.

I have now listened to DOGC-MK3 amplifier and compared to Symasym, DOGC is better in every aspect - airy, 3D, rich, sounds more like music. Now I really wonder what tube input stage could bring to the sound, because now with mosfet input sounds perfect!

Thank you Bora for very good design!
Why i can't open this pcb & schematic files with Eagle?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.