50w Single-Ended BAF2015 Schade Enabled

It just shows that there are a few cool ideas still left to explore...

Yes, there is some (maybe even a lot) of cool ideas left to explore.

With a steady progress in transistor technology - SiC Jfets, GaN HEMTS etc we can get more and more performance from very simple circuits. This enables a lot of previously "impossible" designs to be built.

This is an exciting time to be exploring simple electronic audio circuits.
All thanks to you and the engineers and researchers at Infineon, GaN-Systems, SemiSouth, UnitedSiC among others.

Cheers,
Johannes

Very lucky to have those parts at your disposal, ZM.

Attached is a draft of my idea for the DC-coupled BAF circuit. I imagine the simulated THD is very optimistic, but does it look workable to others?

(For the record, the .1 + .47-ohm resistors simulate best, but I will have to experiment in the real world to determine which resistor values work best.)

This is very good idea,thanks for you sharing this.

I also plan to use DC couple with IXFN140N20P parts,if the voltage keep +-30V and base set same as Pass using 3.2A,it should be get same performance.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
To get the ball rolling on this project, I'm seriously considering a couple of 60V ebay switchers.
I can get one switch mode power supply cheaper than the price of just one capacitor and I was thinking of getting 8 of those capacitors (not cheap).

For those in the US, look at parts-express.com for switching power supplies. They do ship internationally.

To get the ball rolling on this project, I'm seriously considering a couple of 60V ebay switchers.
I can get one switch mode power supply cheaper than the price of just one capacitor and I was thinking of getting 8 of those capacitors (not cheap).

I think is it wise choice, it will make your amplifier lighter and more efficient and you don't need huge caps for rail smoothing.
Also I would consider some forced heatsink cooling for power transistors. It can be done very quiet.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Is double the current requirement enough? 7 to 8 amps from a switching supply.
I might go this route too, just to get it completed. Admittedly never used switching supply for an analog circuit, so I don't know what to expect. I can't rightly judge it, so I'll just have to take a chance. Nelson has used regulated lab supplies, so I guess these are OK. Then again a lab supply and switching supply aren't always the same animal.

Can anyone comment?

Thanks, jostwid, I'll look into it.

Thanks,

Vince

Is double the current requirement enough? 7 to 8 amps from a switching supply.
I might go this route too, just to get it completed. Admittedly never used switching supply for an analog circuit, so I don't know what to expect. I can't rightly judge it, so I'll just have to take a chance. Nelson has used regulated lab supplies, so I guess these are OK. Then again a lab supply and switching supply aren't always the same animal.

Can anyone comment?

Thanks, jostwid, I'll look into it.

Thanks,

Vince

According to the datasheet for the SMPS600RS
it can provide longterm 240W if driven from 120V main or 320W if driven from 230V main.
Thus you need two of those for the 50W BAF Schade amp which consumes some 180 to 200Watts

The SMPS800RS might do it for both channels (http://www.connexelectronic.com/documents/SMPS800RS.pdf)

Will go with the mean well, because I'm building mono blocks and they can be adjusted to 60v. Connex is a special order for 60v. Mean well is $100 for 2.

I do not know the specs of the Meanwell SMPS you have in mind.
What i found interesting about Connexelectronic is that the units have been designed for audio use. With the particular switching mode they produce less noise than others.
Ripple as well is reasonable. At 70% load (420W) the SMPS600RS has 82mVpp
ripple (acc. datasheet)