50w Single-Ended BAF2015 Schade Enabled

As this is single ended class A amplifier, it draws constant current from power supply all the time. You need well filtered PSU, so that ripple is minimal.

I would recommend using switch-mode PSU for this amplifier.

i do not see the need for a regulated power supply or a supply with very low ripple.
The constant current source shall shield from the ripple.
As soon as the CCS is allowed to give the design current through the lower mosfet to ground, the B+ shall stabilize regardless how conductive we make the lower mosfet.

pico, in post #6 you mentioned using a regulated supply. Why is it needed?
What would happen if a regulated supply isn't used?
Don't you think a regulated supply will affect dynamics?

Could a larger VA transformer act as a better regulated source?

Thanks,

Vince

I'm going off Papa's recommendation to get the ripple down below 5mV.
Many of Papa's single gain stage circuits use some sought of regulation/capacitance multiplier circuit.
A modulated regulated supply is often a favourite.

Edit: Sony V2 is also using a similar regulated circuit, I don't think Papa would use it, if it significantly affected dynamics.

To do it passively you will need need huge caps and a huge inductor with low series resistance.

Last edited:
Joined 2000
Paid Member
To do it passively you will need need huge caps and a huge inductor with low series resistance.

I was just think about this method. I will go this route. Less parts to break, even though it might be more expensive.

I'm building a linear power supply for a friend and used a 2.0 mH Jentzen inductor. Was $23 on sale, but it's a nice specimen. 15ga, 400w and .5 ohm.

Here you go.
You have some choices

Regulated is nice, but not particularly essential. The PSRR is on the order of
40 dB, so if you want 100 uV of noise at the output, the supply needs less
than about 10 mV ripple. A quick sim shows that two 47000 uF separated
by .5 ohms for the RC filter will get you about 7 mV rms.

You can do more capacitance or resistance if you want.

:cool:

Just be aware that slpc has different pin spacing to flpch

Yes important if pcb used with hockey pucks thx Pico :)

SLPC are winner on distortion & give + gain , co$t are higher

Attachments

• 10663E70-F40E-4CEB-8EFB-6180E43319DB.JPG
    10663E70-F40E-4CEB-8EFB-6180E43319DB.JPG
    517 KB · Views: 588
  • 5723D953-17ED-4859-AC19-2D9DA41FD44C.JPG
    5723D953-17ED-4859-AC19-2D9DA41FD44C.JPG
    686.9 KB · Views: 568
  • CCDF9D91-D5B0-4752-81B5-8E8110B8D7D3.JPG
    CCDF9D91-D5B0-4752-81B5-8E8110B8D7D3.JPG
    504.8 KB · Views: 544
  • 7884AB4F-D443-41DC-B4AF-3F40A4F6F8F6.JPG
    7884AB4F-D443-41DC-B4AF-3F40A4F6F8F6.JPG
    762.9 KB · Views: 527
Somewhere in my pile o' stuff I have some huge "ashtray style" IGBTs from Fuji or the like, purchased in a spirit of speculation from an Ebay retailer that parts out monster motor drives - their huge, reasonably priced heat sinks have featured prominently in various of my class A projects. So, IGBTs are not great on linearity by themselves, but in a "buffered Schade" implementation with a P-channel mosfet to provide some drive, maybe we can break the 50W barrier for a simple Class A single ended amp, with some decent sound along the way. One man's trash is another man's treasure...

but in a "buffered Schade" implementation with a P-channel mosfet to provide some drive

Here is a version I would like to try:

BASTODE-SCHADE.png

I am listening to something very similar at the moment but with IXYS mosfets (IXTH140P05T and IXTK100N25P) and a MU follower current source.

The Schade feedback IXYS IXTK100N25P has the same powerful and effortless vivid "alive" character as a good triode amp or the IRFP7430 in a simple NFB Zen amp. It sounds much larger and captivating, - much less held back then normal pentodish mosfet amps. Most addictive!!!

Cheers,
Johannes

Here is a version I would like to try:

View attachment 550452

I am listening to something very similar at the moment but with IXYS mosfets (IXTH140P05T and IXTK100N25P) and a MU follower current source.

The Schade feedback IXYS IXTK100N25P has the same powerful and effortless vivid "alive" character as a good triode amp or the IRFP7430 in a simple NFB Zen amp. It sounds much larger and captivating, - much less held back then normal pentodish mosfet amps. Most addictive!!!

Cheers,
Johannes

You'll have to explain how that circuit works for my dumb brain, all I see is source follower with cascode.
I can't see how you'll get gain out of that.