50w Single-Ended BAF2015 Schade Enabled

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Input is correct - the original schematic has the orientation of the windings 'reversed' as opposed to 'mirrored'. The part in eagle goes into the schematic as it is, so it looks different.

Any thoughts or input? Not shown in the top layer which is GND. I had to pop a few 0r bridges in to separate the high current ground from the rest, so that may explain a thing or two.

Any comments? I'm super happy to keep at it for the benefit of all if there's interest? Equally, I can remove the reg - I popped it in with the idea that I could modulate the cascode ala Ven v3, but I'm not sure that's required anymore, so removing that part frees up a bit of real estate and voltage.

Last edited:
I simulated a dual supply version a few months ago. It seemed to work but I haven't looked at it in a while.

Attachments

• dualsupply.png
    dualsupply.png
    25.2 KB · Views: 504
  • baf2015ixysdualsupply.asc
    3.8 KB · Views: 49
Joined 2010
Paid Member
quite the thump!

...can be seen in the attached!

I cheated and subbed in 2 x irfp240's in lieu of the hockey pucks as that was a bit quicker for me to do.

Guess I'll try a pass fet on the rails for a slower turn on...

Attachments

• Turn on thump.png
    Turn on thump.png
    146.2 KB · Views: 573
  • Schade model.png
    Schade model.png
    171.9 KB · Views: 572
Joined 2010
Paid Member
...and thats not very helpful either. I suppose it's a moot point as due to operating point variability as it warms up as well.

It was also interesting to see how much PSU noise got through to the output once I built the powersupply model on... 30 - 40mV or so of ripple on the output.

So what I'm taking away from this is that cap output and a single supply are good ideas (who would have thought nelson would have know that to start with! :) ) for this circuit. I also read that the srpp type stages are known for not having good psrr, so the pass fet in my previous pcb design is a good idea.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Hi RobLK,
That looks pretty good I gotta say. I personally don't intend to use one of the hockey puck Fets (I've some irfp150's here for a lower powered version).

I'm very happy to do the design work on a PCB for them though - does anyone have the eagle part for a hockey puck?