3D printed 3-way Unity waveguide home audio speaker

There you go again, Bill, being completely practical. ;)
Yes, I imagine the pool of folks who have a BA-750 and a capable 3D printer (who don’t already have a SEOS-18) is basically nonexistent. Though your horn has an extra 1/2” width and a not insignificant amount of increased vertical pattern control vs the SEOS-18.

Since I brought it up, do you see any advantage to pattern control extending below the corner frequency of a HP filter? I.e., a SEOS-18 w/ a DNA-360 high-passed at 1kHz.

Alternate Compression Driver PRV d290py

Hi Bill, I have been following this thread for a while and I finally pulled the trigger on a Creality CR-10 mainly for the purpose for building this speaker; its a very elegant design. I am thinking of embedding LCR in a credenza. I got my 3D printer working with E3D V6 Volcano 1 mm nozzle and a Bondtech dual drive extruder.

I live in Australia and I can source the Faitalpro woofer and Celestion mids but I can not source the Denovo DNA-360 compression drivers anywhere (DIYSG has them all sold out and its harder to ship them over here).

I have read that B&C DE250 is similar as well as the PRV d290py-B. While I can source the B&Cs from PartsExpress, the PRVs are a lot cheaper and I have couple laying around.

Is it possible for you to test driver replacing the DNA-360 in your system with the PRV and maybe suggest any changes to the crossover you have developed already. I can buy one from Parts-Express and send it to you for that purpose. It will open up this design to makers outside of US.

Cheers

Sorry, I don't have the PRV driver here. The DE250 is a good substitute. I've not had great success with other PRV drivers I've had around (though I haven't tested many models, so my experience might not mean much). If you can measure and EQ, I also like the DFM-2535R00-08, though it's not a direct drop in of course.

Thanks for a quick reply. I can source the Typhany DFM-2535R00-08 locally. Have you got a version of crossover with the DFM driver (is that design lacking in your ears in any way?) and would the wave-guide need to be modified in any way?

I can certainly get the DE250 if the Tymphany driver does not work out.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
If I can get these printed, I plan to use BMS4524 as the HF driver since that is the one I have and like. My crossover will be active, so tweaking will be no problem.

If I ever get them finished, I will post the results here. I think I will have to buy a 3D printer one day anyway...

... I can source the Typhany DFM-2535R00-08 locally. Have you got a version of crossover with the DFM driver (is that design lacking in your ears in any way?) and would the wave-guide need to be modified in any way?

Sorry, I've not done a crossover for that, which is why I mentioned you'd have to measure and either design one yourself or EQ. If you play very loud, the DE250 would probably be the better choice, as it has greater SPL capability and sensitivity. And a crossover already exists for it. But I listen to a set of SmallSyns daily, which uses the DFM-2235, and I like it a lot.

@Sugarcube
You should try emailing Erich at DIY Sound Group and asking about a pair of DNA-360s. If you tell him it’s for Bill’s design he might be able to drum up a pair for you but I can’t promise anything.

Alternatively, check the classifieds here, at AVSforum and the DIYSG forum. The DNA-360s do turn up.

Thanks Bill. I think I will stick with B&C DE250.

Brinkman, thanks for the suggestion. Shipping to Australia is expensive through DIYSG. Parts Express offer a much better deal in that regard.

Hopefully I will get the project off the ground soon. We are expecting our second child in June and that is going to eat up a lot of ME time.

Hi Bill, I work for a company that has several large SLA printers for employees to use. One of which is large enough that it could ALMOST accommodate this part (it's tight enough that only a few mm would overhang). Do you happen to have a Fusion 360 file for this so that I could play around with the dimensions a little to get it to fit?

I do, but it is a very convoluted file -- a number of different design attempts included within it, parts on it that aren't used anymore, dead sketches, etc. And I started it when I was still pretty clueless about how to use Fusion 360 (not that I'm a pro at it now or anything), so it won't be at all easy to figure out I'm afraid. But if you are willing to deal with that ugliness, I can publish the design there for public use.

If you're down to just a few mm, then it might make more sense to just take the STL file into Meshmixer (or similar programs) and trim the edges a little.

(I assume this is about the big all-plastic waveguide, not the stub meant for plywood extension)?

I'm more than willing to sift through wonky timelines (I'm not guilt free in that department either lol). Mainly it's simply that every engineering based CAD software works on solid bodies, not mesh nets (like STL), so in order to edit them effectively I need either a STEP file or the original file.

Also, the STL files you've uploaded are are slightly broken, so the mesh editors I've tried do not understand how to interpret them. I would like to be able to re-export in STL on my end.

Not sue which wave-guide is the plywood one vs the all plastic one, but I'm interested in the large 3-way that's the topic of this thread.

Hi Bill.

I'm pretty keen on getting hands on the fusion360 file as well, since I can see some minor mistakes in the file, which when corrected would result in a easier print job. I would gladly rework the file and upload/send the new version to you :)

Also, would I be able to put the waveguide in a closed cabinet and HP it at around 200 Hz without changing the crossover, since I'm going to use it with a subwoofer?

Hi all,

I wanted to try out some SEOS Waveguides.

All the commercial sources I could find are sold out or make some very high-end versions. I´d be fine with a molded plastic one for testing. Any sources in Europe ?

After doing some reading, I am not sure if the SEOS is free - if it is - does anybody have any STL Files? Just bought a big 3D Printer :)

Thanx :)