3-way floorstanding with KEF coax (active)

i started building, but I don't have much spare time at the moment so it will take some time
20C9171E-5D4F-49AC-B2B6-CA5BC11D2638.jpeg

IMG_0355.jpeg

oh buy that black mdf is like ash...

IMG_0349.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0340.jpeg
    IMG_0340.jpeg
    578.1 KB · Views: 57
Reactions: 3 users
What are the mounting hole and recess dimensions for the Kef coax? I've got my own version of the blade on the drawing board but I haven't bought drivers to put calipers on yet. A shame we can't get data sheets for them from Kef - like the linear Xmax. I do have a pair of R3s so I know they will sound great.

What are the mounting hole and recess dimensions for the Kef coax? I've got my own version of the blade on the drawing board but I haven't bought drivers to put calipers on yet. A shame we can't get data sheets for them from Kef - like the linear Xmax. I do have a pair of R3s so I know they will sound great.
i use an adapter ring so the cutout can be bigger like the original one so the midrange can breath more, not visible in any picture.
I saw that on some of the other builds and liked the idea.

I can measure the dimensions for you
E069031F-F018-44D2-A384-6F1146DACB11.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
building is finished, I ll take some worthy photos once weather gets better and I can take some serious measurements, it raining at the moment

IMG_0428.jpeg

they will get some 5axis cnc aluminium feet but I haven't decided on design yet :p

i made some really basic xo settings with lr2 at 500Hz and lr4 at 2950Hz, adjusted the gain and estimated delay with distance sound takes just so I can hear them a little bit, I know I have to measure them outside to get better/ real measurement results. but even without any eq just with xo they sound very nice especially off axis its insane

bildschirmfoto-2022-06-13-um-11-18-31-png.1063674

is it right to do these steps in order or would it be nice to do something before another step

1. Take them outside for gated measurment
2. measure each way independent
3. eq each way on its own to flat in its estimated frequency spectrum and little bit above. and don't use positiv eq right?
4. time align driver and set gain
5. set crossover
6. measure as a hole + maybe directivity measurements
7. measure inside and calculate room eq with wanted house curve and set this as param eq.

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2022-06-13 um 11.18.31.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2022-06-13 um 11.18.31.png
    126.4 KB · Views: 600
Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
sry i forgot to measure the drive before installing, was just to focus about finally completing the build.
here is the adapter dimension if it helps but my measurements weren't completely on point I had to make the 6 holes on the inside a bit bigger

but I have a broken one from key r900 which I think uses the same basket, if u want I can measure its basket
IMG_0432.jpeg

Attachments

• Ring 2.pdf
    52.4 KB · Views: 76
I will get a driver on order shortly so don't worry about the measuring it mechanically. I'm much more interested in the acoustic measurements. What you have shown has an exceptionally clean top end for a coax driver. Is there any smoothing on the graph? Unfortunately, the room is corrupting the lower frequencies. Eagerly awaiting those outdoor measurements ideally a full set of polars; at least enough to estimate how equalizable the response is over an area.

Well i tried my best at measuring but sun was burning insanley so i only did sweeps for tt, ht, mt direct and hole speaker 0-180 degree with 400Hz LR2 and 2900Hz LR4 without any correction, just a bit gain adjust

even outside and raised speaker first reflection was at 3,3ms...but i thinks its bether then nothing. i need a higher rig

gated 3.3 directivity:
1655545952421.png

server has problems with zips...i ll link measuremnts with cloud

Attachments

• IMG_0453.jpeg
    IMG_0453.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 148
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user