25W Single Ended Hammond 193V Choke Loaded 2SK180 L'Amp

Joined 2012
Paid Member
Choke Loaded Tokin SIT Follower PCB

Some people like cross-work puzzles. Others prefer Sudoku. I like playing with LTSpice and more recently, Kicad. So to practise and get better at Kicad, my latest project is a PCB for my choke loaded 2SK180 follower. Since this is a new pcb design, I used this opportunity to change the power from V+ to V-, to be able to connect the SIT drain to ground. My current iteration of the amplifier with its V+ supply is actually quiet with my 103dB speakers. What noise that may be present is not audible. That could be because the CLC power supply has very low ripple, there is very little noise to past through the 2SK180. But this is diy, so I am doing this not because I need to do it, but I am doing this for the fun of it. :)

Schematics and PCB images are attached.

Note that my amplifier uses Tokin 2SK180, but other Tokin SITS such as the THF-51S or 2SK182ES can also be used. The same operating points can be used. The more adventurous can play around with Vds and Iq and choose their own operating points.

Attachments

• Choke Loaded SIT Follower-PCB 3D.png
    Choke Loaded SIT Follower-PCB 3D.png
    67.8 KB · Views: 228
  • Choke Loaded SIT Follower PCB-Top.png
    Choke Loaded SIT Follower PCB-Top.png
    50.8 KB · Views: 151
  • Choke Loaded SIT Follower PCB-Bottom.png
    Choke Loaded SIT Follower PCB-Bottom.png
    30.1 KB · Views: 257
  • Choke Loaded SIT Follower-schematic.png
    Choke Loaded SIT Follower-schematic.png
    24.2 KB · Views: 258
  • Choke Loaded SIT Follower-Kicad schematic.png
    Choke Loaded SIT Follower-Kicad schematic.png
    12.2 KB · Views: 261
Reactions: 7 users
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Choke Loaded Tokin SIT Follower PCB

Some people like cross-work puzzles. Others prefer Sudoku. I like playing with LTSpice and more recently, Kicad. So to practise and get better at Kicad, my latest project is a PCB for my choke loaded 2SK180 follower. Since this is a new pcb design, I used this opportunity to change the power from V+ to V-, to be able to connect the SIT drain to ground. My current iteration of the amplifier with its V+ supply is actually quiet with my 103dB speakers. What noise that may be present is not audible. That could be because the CLC power supply has very low ripple, there is very little noise to past through the 2SK180. But this is diy, so I am doing this not because I need to do it, but I am doing this for the fun of it. :)

Schematics and PCB images are attached.

Note that my amplifier uses Tokin 2SK180, but other Tokin SITS such as the THF-51S or 2SK182ES can also be used. The same operating points can be used. The more adventurous can play around with Vds and Iq and choose their own operating points.
Hi Ben, did you try the DN2540 buffered version? Just asking because you could incorporate it into the board and bypass it if it’s not used. I’m doing this with my build. I’m just being slow on the build for this one.

Attachments

• 6E0CEC72-AA22-40DF-8D5D-CB82929E721D.jpeg
    6E0CEC72-AA22-40DF-8D5D-CB82929E721D.jpeg
    400 KB · Views: 126
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Monk55, I will mostly likely use JLCPCB. However I am still reviewing and checking, correcting a few mistakes, and tweaking.

Hi Botte, No, I have not considered adding an input buffer since I do not need it. I don't want to make the board larger to accommodate a buffer and then not use it. Is your buffer on a separate board? Are you using a DN2540 for CCS? Are you feeding V- to the output board?

Joined 2012
Paid Member
A couple of corrections and a bit of tweaking, added a LED, and I think it's close to being done. I'll let it sit for a few days and then I may be ordering PCBs.

Attachments

• Choke Loaded SIT Follower-Schematic 2.png
    Choke Loaded SIT Follower-Schematic 2.png
    20.6 KB · Views: 137
  • Choke Loaded SIT Follower-Kicad Schematic 2 .png
    Choke Loaded SIT Follower-Kicad Schematic 2 .png
    12.9 KB · Views: 138
  • Choke Loaded SIT Follower- PCB Top.png
    Choke Loaded SIT Follower- PCB Top.png
    56.1 KB · Views: 104
  • Choke Loaded SIT Follower-PCB Bottom 2.png
    Choke Loaded SIT Follower-PCB Bottom 2.png
    24.1 KB · Views: 102
  • Choke Loaded SIT follower-PCB 3D 2.png
    Choke Loaded SIT follower-PCB 3D 2.png
    57.5 KB · Views: 133
Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Bonjour messieurs.
Si nous utilisons le
25W Single Ended Hammond 193V Choke Loaded 2SK180 Amp en mode de suivi
Le préampli doit avoir un gain en dB de combien ?
Merci pour vos réponses
English please.

The gain required depends on the voltage of your source.

For the amplifier to output 25W into 8 Ohm, you need to input a signal of about 17Vrms to the amplifier. This takes into account that the full voltage input is not outputted by the amplifier. However most people don't listen to music with their amplifier outputting its maximum power continually. So in reality, you could probably get by with much less voltage output from your preamp, especially if your speakers are relatively sensitive.

Hello,
I also have a couple of THF51s waiting, but I've never produced a pcb and maybe if someone in Europe is interested I could participate.
For amplifiers I love Faston connections, they are comfortable, safe and cheap: it would be a great upgrade.
Thanks
Guglielmo
Well I really do enjoy sending other peoples great Gerbers to JLCPCB, it makes me feel a little bit more serious diy-er. And I have this great amp in point to point version on a kitchen board, great sound but could be a more orderly and safer build. So I will order these PCBs when Ben is satisfied with it and makes the Gerbers available....
So you are welcome to join forces!
Leo

Reactions: 1 user