• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

21st Century Maida Regulator

Tom has had part of his design ripped off for commercial use so most would be hesitant to give you this information. I wouldn't take it personally, if you email Tom, he might help you with some values. Are you trying to adjust nominal voltage? If so, experiment with R9 values until you get the results.

Let's do this again, here are two examples of stepping either R4 from the original schematic, a 5K potentiometer from 1 ohm to 5k in 500 ohm steps, the second image is stepping R9 from 50k to 500k in 50k steps.

Attachments

• 20thCentury_A.png
    20thCentury_A.png
    26.6 KB · Views: 1,235
  • 20thCentury_B.png
    20thCentury_B.png
    26.1 KB · Views: 1,215
@tomchr

I have a quick question about how much ripple is acceptable into the new maida project you have published. The documentations point out the drop out voltage is 15v and this includes effects of ripple voltage.

I suppose my question is, if we compared a very large amount of capacitance before the regulator to one that just met the minimum guidance above, would the regulator perform the same, in terms of quoted specs of residual noice and hum?

I'm considering using no electrolytic caps before the regulator and this means I'm limited to how much capacitance I can cram in. My goal is to reduce 60Hz and multiple harmonics in my project.

?????????

This is incomprehensible for me.

If you want -for example- 1mV ripple on- for example 400V- output of Maida II regulator, the maximum allowed ripple on input is about 12.5V (unrealistic :) ).

So, if 12.5V ripple on input equals 1mV ripple on output, then what does 1mV ripple on input result in? 1mV? 1uV?

What I mean by “best performance” is how sensitive is the overall regulator performance to the ripple on its input. If I can have 1uF across the bridge on the input or need 1000uF across the bridge and both result in the same noise on the output, that would be handy to know.

In other words, what does the regulator need as input to ensure it performs the best it can and when does input bridge capacitance reach law of diminishing returns.

@tomchr

I have a quick question about how much ripple is acceptable into the new maida project you have published. The documentations point out the drop out voltage is 15v and this includes effects of ripple voltage.

I suppose my question is, if we compared a very large amount of capacitance before the regulator to one that just met the minimum guidance above, would the regulator perform the same, in terms of quoted specs of residual noice and hum?

I'm considering using no electrolytic caps before the regulator and this means I'm limited to how much capacitance I can cram in. My goal is to reduce 60Hz and multiple harmonics in my project.

Sorry for the very belated response here. Somehow the notification emails for this thread stopped coming, so I missed it.

Going without any capacitor in front of the Maida Regulator is not a good idea.

In my DG300B, I have 50 uF in front of the Maida. That results in about 50 Vpp of ripple voltage on the input of the Maida. The output shows 20 µV of ripple+noise.

Tom

Fair enough. This thread was actually started before I started my business. Time flies. By now it certainly belongs in the Vendor's Bazaar. :)

As many of you have observed, I am discontinuing many of my vacuum tube circuits, including: Universal Filament Regulator, DG300B, and Novar Spud. I just wanted to take this opportunity to make it clear that the 21st Century Maida Regulator is still going strong and I plan to keep it going for a long time to come.

Thanks,

Tom

Joe Curcio's regulator vs. 21st Maida

Hello Tom.
Way upfront you mentioned Joe Curcio's regulator. I have a pair in my Dynaco Mk 3's regulating the B+ to the opt center tap only (not the screens; I'm in triode mode) in that pp kt88 circuit. The driver board is separately regulated.

Do you think I'll have much improvement if I install the 21st Century Maida? My high efficiency speakers run at about 1 watt. I have plenty of uF (175) in the clc preceding the regulator as presently installed. The bias is zener regulated. There is no audible hum.

Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks for this great thread.

Funny you mention Joe Curico. I met him years ago while we both were still working for National. Nice guy.

Joe's regulator uses an opamp that floats on top of the B+ supply. I tried that many moons ago and found its regulation to be so-so as hum tended to creep in through the reference voltage. Thus, I suspect you'll see some improvement (firmer bass) with my Maida Regulator.

Tom

Ah! You're right. You'll probably get a little better performance as my 21st Century Maida Regulator uses more modern parts, but whether the slight performance difference is worth the hassle of swapping out the regulator is up to you.

That said, adding the 21st Century Maida Regulator would be pretty easy. Just pluck a few parts from the existing circuit to remove the old Maida and connect up the 21st Century one.

Tom