• The Vendor's Bazaar forum is for commercial offers and transactions. Only unmoderated members can post here.

diyAudio provides this forum for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members. Use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

21st Century Maida Regulator

Neurochrome.com
Joined 2009
Paid Member
The 10 uF is intended as local supply bypassing on the board. It prevents the regulator IC from oscillating should the end user use very long wires on the input to the regulator.

You'll still need a reservoir cap between the rectifier and the Maida Regulator. Depending on the current draw, you'll need somewhere around 47~220 uF. There's no reason to go higher than that as the regulator will knock the ripple down below the noise floor.

~Tom

Built and tested - works great!

Good morning all,

I am currently testing my implementation of Tom's brilliant regulator. My version differs in that it is mostly through-hole components, with the exception of the tantalum capacitor C3A. I also use the TO-220 version of the LT3080 instead of the surface mount as well. I have no fear of surface mount components...just felt like using through-hole for this project. :D

Below is a photo of it under test. It is being powered by a variable Eico supply at 150 VDC input at 90 VDC output into a switched resistor load, pulling about 40 mA. The MOSFET is mounted to an old computer heatsink.

21st_century_maida_under_test.jpg

thanks much,
ben

Neurochrome.com
Joined 2009
Paid Member
It is much larger than your board - it measures 3.6" long by 1.9" wide. That's the trade-off for going with all thru-hole components, I guess. :D

Yeah... Mine is 2.50"x2.55". With the thru-hole components you also have to be more careful with the layout if you want to maintain the good performance. Especially the nodes around the Iset current are rather critical. Tradeoffs, tradeoffs.

Still. Nice build. Thanks for sharing.

~Tom

Neurochrome.com
Joined 2009
Paid Member
This regulator provides no galvanic isolation, so you will need to use an isolation transformer.

Generating 190 V DC from a 200 V AC supply should be possible, however. You will need to provide a transformer that generates 200 V, a rectifier, and a reservoir capacitor (47 uF is usually enough) before the regulator.

~Tom

This regulator provides no galvanic isolation, so you will need to use an isolation transformer.

Generating 190 V DC from a 200 V AC supply should be possible, however. You will need to provide a transformer that generates 200 V, a rectifier, and a reservoir capacitor (47 uF is usually enough) before the regulator.

~Tom

thanks,

it seems very good. I want to built a prototype but I don't think I can find parts locally

Neurochrome.com
Joined 2009
Paid Member
The purpose of D3 is to protect the IC during power-up into a capacitive load and during high di/dt spikes such as those caused by loose connections in tube sockets and the like.
The exact spec on this is not super critical. I would think any unidirectional Tranzorb or TVS type diode with a breakdown voltage around 20 V that fits the DO-214 (SMA) footprint would work. The one you link to looks like a good candidate.

~Tom

I don't see why not... Just keep the wires as short as possible.

I would select between different R9s using a rotary switch on the ground side and have a pot for the fine tuning of the output voltage. The adjustment range on the pot is +/-5 % if you use the values in the Schematic_BOM .pdf on my website. +/-7.5 % if you use the values in my post above (#163). You could widen that by changing R4, R5, R6 or you could use a regular single-turn pot and just have more fixed resistors to choose from. Options, options.

Make sure to ground the metal case and shaft (if applicable) of the pot.

R3 is a bit trickier. You do NOT want to break the connection between the regulator IC and the cascode Q1 when the power is on. So I would implement R3 as one fixed resistor set for 20 mA and switch in resistors in parallel for the higher currents. The current limiter is a rather soft limit, so I don't think it makes sense to have more than 2-3 ranges. Maybe 20, 50, and 100 mA.

~Tom

Hi Tom,

I am also thinking about using your circuit to make an adjustable PS. Some time ago I bought some multiturn 300k/5W pots and these would replace R9.

My worry is about survival chances of the regulator in the case of short circuits. On your website you write "R3 provides a very crude current limiting feature. It is not intended to provide protection against short circuits, but merely serves to help Q1 survive the worst transient currents". That should answer my question, but I am still curious what would happen in the case of a short circuit and if you have any suggestion how to implement a 'better' current limiting circuit?

Many thanks!
Erik

Neurochrome.com
Joined 2009
Paid Member
I would probably use a circuit that shorts Vgs on the cascode (Q1) for current limiting. These kinds of circuits can be rather challenging to get stable and they will burn gobs of power in Q1 when the current is being limited.

The 21st Century Maida Regulator will survive an over-current condition, but probably not a straight short circuit. If you can live with "over current protection" rather than "short circuit protection", I'd use the circuit as is.

But if you're designing a lab grade supply, I suggest picking up a couple of service manuals for the HP high-voltage lab supplies and learn their tricks. They use synchronous rectification to limit the power in the pass device as well.

~Tom

Hi Tom,

thanks for your answer.

In a first attempt of the planned PS I used a tektronix transformer with 5 HV primaries (between 110 and 190V). I connect these in series to get an approximation of the needed voltages. I then have 4x PS, with bridges or doublers and big caps for filtering. The raw DC goes in the regulator, which consists of a LR8N3 feeding the gate of a HV MOSFET. It works, but it was not current protected. I think it wouldn't be hard to implement a current limiter, but then I found your project with the excellent LT3080 and the much better performance (-120dB). It would probably even allow a higher output voltages in comparion to the LR8N3 version, but also no short circuit protection.

I have downloaded the manual of the HP PS. I can grasp the idea of it, but building something like that and getting it stable is not something I will manage, I think.

many thanks! Erik

I'm sure someone has already asked this, but just to be on the safe side, is it possible to make a negative version by switching polarity of the parts? (I want to make a +/-130VDC PSU).
Also, since I'm going to build the regulator myself and it's not easy to obtain the parts here, is this possible to use LT1085/LT1033 & IRF630/IRF9630?
Thanks,

Neurochrome.com
Joined 2009
Paid Member
To my knowledge, there is no substitute for the LT3080. One of the guys here ran a simulation of two of my 21st Century Maida Regulators for use in a split (±) supply. He reported that the 21st Century Maida Regualtor would only work as a positive regulator.

For ±130 V, a regular Maida Regulator would work OK. You can use LM317 for the positive regulator and LM337 for the negative. You, obviously, won't get the same performance as I get with the 21st Century Maida Regulator, but you'll have a regulated supply. At ±130 V, the power dissipated by the feedback network to ensure 10 mA minimum output current is a lot more manageable.

I can't tell if you can use the IRF630/9630 in your application without running a simulation. It depends on the amount of output current you are designing for. The challenge here is that the device needs to be able to survive start-up. So basically, the MOS device will need to be able to handle Vds = Vin and Id = Iout_max for 100 ms or so. You'll need to consult the SOA curves of the data sheet to figure this out.
There's nothing magic about the STW12NK95Z that I recommend. The only requirement is that this transistor needs to be able to handle the power dissipated in it -- both during start-up (that's the worst case for SOA) and during normal operation (worst case for thermals).

~Tom

So it looks like I have to go with regular Maida circuits for this bipolar PSU. Anyway I will try breadboard your circuit with LM317/337 to see what will happen in realtime. And if better performance is required, I guess I can always use 2 of your positive circuits (with the price of replacing the transformer to one with separated secondary windings).
About the mosfet, I was concern about the SOA as it is not easy to find a high voltage P-mos here. Luckily I've just found some 2SK310/2SJ117 with better margins so no problem now.
Thanks for your suggestions.
Duong,