10F/8424 & RS225-8 FAST / WAW Ref Monitor

I haven't heard either of those, nor have I heard anything about them. I know from experience that the TC9 is a great fit for this application. I built a pair of open baffle two-ways with the TC9 as the mid-tweeter and it's amazing. I also built a pair of the NOLA clones with the TC9 and it is also amazing.
I'm glad a grabbed several of them in the past, now that the price has increased. Even with the price increase, I'm a firm believer in the TC9 for mid-tweeter use.
Mike

I have the vifa tc9 in small sealed box running of a amp for my computer and I have built the manzanita, it both cases the tc9 sounds really good
You reference and link the SL87WPM but the graph is for the SL87 ND. Two very different beasts i think.
The latter pretty good id imagine.
Thanks for the correction

Untitled.png

stv

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Hi folks, Im seeing these two ~3" fullrange that has a decent frequency response for the $
Would you rate these better than the vifa tc9 fd $20 ?
I have measured the visaton FRS8-8 myself and i also have measurement report by HOBBY HIFI (german magazine).
while it is not bad, it has some resonances that show on the waterfall plot. I can post my measurement results later, if you are interested.

stv

Joined 2005
Paid Member
I can post my measurement results later
here is the frequency response for Visaton FRS8-8, on axis, 30° and 60 °, in a small box. low frequency was added as nearfield measurement and is not very accurate - resonance peak is probably too high. I was not fully aware of how difficult stitching measurements actually is, back at the time.
note the peak around 2kHz is caused by the baffle, not the driver.
my driver is rather old (~15 years), also has a much higher Fs (176 Hz) than specified by visaton, so maybe they changed and eventually improved the specs in the meantime.

EDIT: added another graph with spec sheet frequency response (black) with added frequency response measured in a 100/50cm baffle, equalized for infinite baffle (red).

Attachments

• 200430-fsr8-sealed.png
    200430-fsr8-sealed.png
    37.9 KB · Views: 133
  • 201121-fsr8_baffle_specs.png
    201121-fsr8_baffle_specs.png
    56.6 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi,

today I got info from Jantzen Audio (distributor for dayton) that the RS225-8 is discontinued.

Is there anyone here who can confirm this information?
I have not heard this and item is in stock still in the US. It would be sad news if true. I might have to design my own woofer to replace this one and have it made by an OEM if true.

I hope not. It's a special driver.
There is stock at PE, and the driver is still up at Dayton's website.
Maybe Jantzen doesn't want to stock that driver anymore? ;)
Unless for some reason they’re gonna stick with the paper version I don’t think they would ever get rid of that that’s one of their best sellers, by a landslide.

The four ohm version, is back in stock next week or so so . So they’re all still active?

That said they did just replace/renew the design to further the rss models with the rss-he. (i can’t wait for the eight and 18 versions) the subwoofer version of these drivers and they’re always trying to stay one step ahead of the rest of the Chinese build house users. Even took a stab at the tang band w5/w6 1138/1139 or anarchy drivers 5/7 recently.

Joined 2021
Paid Member
Hi,
I've been listening intensively since the completion and realized that the mids aren't as lively as I remembered and the bass is boomy. So get to the driver. The first thing I saw was that the felt in the cone was way too wide. Don't ask me how I converted 1 inch to 5 cm... So new felt glued in and the stuffing reduced to 3 grams (as the last version of the stuffing in the cone). Next I checked the woofer and noticed that there was "almost no" stuffing in the U-turn, only directly behind the woofer - I think this happened after the first basic reduction of the stuffing. So more stuffing in, properly distributed, listened to several times until everything was fine - and here it is, the great sound. Learning by doing.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi. Greetings from Poland. I'm so happy that i found that project I'm was planning for so long time to build fast system.

Add some pictures from progress

Attachments

• PXL_20220325_071008588.jpg
    PXL_20220325_071008588.jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 262
  • PXL_20220325_184313474.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20220325_184313474.PORTRAIT.jpg
    348.6 KB · Views: 259
  • PXL_20220325_201310485.jpg
    PXL_20220325_201310485.jpg
    375.7 KB · Views: 267
  • PXL_20220325_204557255.jpg
    PXL_20220325_204557255.jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 260
Reactions: 1 users
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Rxr2,
Super work! Very cool to see another one of these TLs coming to life soon. You are using extra tall “eggcrate” (actually acoustic wall treatment) foam so I would be careful using double wall layer on the long stretch going from top to bottom. That might be too much constriction of the flow. I would remove one layer there to make sure you don’t block too much flow. Hope it’s not too late. Lower profile rounded eggcrate foam would be fine to use both layers. Good luck with building and first sound!

Hi Rxr2,
Super work! Very cool to see another one of these TLs coming to life soon. You are using extra tall “eggcrate” (actually acoustic wall treatment) foam so I would be careful using double wall layer on the long stretch going from top to bottom. That might be too much constriction of the flow. I would remove one layer there to make sure you don’t block too much flow. Hope it’s not too late. Lower profile rounded eggcrate foam would be fine to use both layers. Good luck with building and first sound!
I have same doubts about to much dump on back side. So tomorrow I'll cut hole for main speaker and I'll remove rear form from inner section. That will solve problem. Any way I'll make measurements in Rew and share with you both solutions

Eh... I made mistake and ordered the wrong speaker instead of 10f8424 I order 10f8414. Now I suffering from low trebles band.

So please advise me if you can, I see 3 options:

1. Order correct speakers (10f8424)
  2. Mod XO r1 and boost fullrange band
  3. More crazy but make sense in my opinion add a small tweeter like AMT mini-8 and redesign XO (add my project XO)

Attachments

• 2022-03-29 (4).png
    2022-03-29 (4).png
    120 KB · Views: 77
  • 2022-03-29 (4).png
    2022-03-29 (4).png
    457.6 KB · Views: 75
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Rxr2,
10F/8414 is fine, it’s less sensitive than the 8424 so just adjust the resistor padding. Try R1 = 3.3R and R2 = 6.8R to bring up the treble. Or you may need more polyfill stuffing behind the woofer to reduce the bass. Do an impedance sweep to see what the peaks look like. I think adjust it until peaks are about 20 to 24 ohms and minimum saddle around 11 to 12ohms. Saddle minimum around 36Hz would indicate TL is working without air leaks.

1648604121418.jpeg

I have to say that it sounds terrific! I'm really enjoyed. After adding polyfill and adjust R1 and R2 on my hand made tube amplifier and DAC sound perfect.

If some one looking for very high end tube amplifier i can say only that one http://www.audiodesignguide.com/PP2011/PP2012.html

I made several tube amplifier in past base on kt88 and b300 but that one is different in best way.

Back to the topic. I'm impressed how that speakers are transparent and free from distortion. They are one my best for peace and calm music enjoying.

Attachments

• PXL_20220330_155554799.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20220330_155554799.PORTRAIT.jpg
    382.8 KB · Views: 178
Reactions: 1 users
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Rxr2,
Congratulations on a super build and another TL is borne in the wild! It’s a special speaker and so glad you were able to adjust the resistor and polyfill to your liking.
Enjoy your creation and please report back with your listening impressions once you have more time to listen to your collection.
Thanks for the tip on the tube amp. It looks super!