10F/8424 & RS225-8 FAST / WAW Ref Monitor

Joined 2021
Paid Member
Many thanks, I'm glad you like it :) And I'm so glad to have this speakers :yes:
No, it's not veneer, just the birch ply after two layers of glaze.

Rear view:

20220303_203828.jpg

:cheers:

Reactions: 4 users
Joined 2021
Paid Member
X, yes, they were just dirty, especially after my woodwork :)
Here you can can see the ply, it really needed much filling and sanding, because the joints were far from perfect - practically no experience, not enough clamps, it's just my second diy-speaker ever:

PSX_20220106_175531.jpg

And here you can see thy ply after finishing the assembly of the first speaker (and the misaligntment too):

PSX_20211126_142016.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, I'm finally in the process of assembling the bookshelf version of these speakers and I'm using a sports cone for the fullrange enclosure. In the plans for TL theres a hole in the wall of the tunnel that holds the tip of the cone. Is this purely because of the dimensions of the enclosure or does it also act as a brace for the cone? Should I add a brace in the bookshelf version to hold the tip of the cone?

If its not clear, I'm referring to this part here:
Screen Shot 2022-03-06 at 14.11.07.png

Joined 2021
Paid Member
After mounting the sports cone the hole must be filled airtight, so that the TL will not be compromised or influenced. The filling holds the tip of the cone properly, if the cone is screwed to the baffle. I also used the same filling/gluing agent between cone and baffle, because the inside of the cone must be isolated airtight from the rest of the speakers inside - so take care of the cables hole too.

Reactions: 1 user
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
It’s very smooth and doesn’t dip below 7ohms. Nominally closer to 11ohms I think for most music content. 25w will work but you may lose the ability to play peaks and crescendos properly. My thought would be 50w minimum to truly appreciate what this speaker can do. 75w to 100w ideally.
Sensitivity is only 82.5dB at 2.83v rms and 1m.

But in a smaller room and at moderate levels circa 75dB, 25w is probably enough.

Hi folks, Im seeing these two ~3" fullrange that has a decent frequency response for the $
Would you rate these better than the vifa tc9 fd?

https://www.parts-express.com/Visaton-FRS8-8-3.3-Full-Range-Speaker-8-Ohm-292-524
https://www.parts-express.com/Visaton-SL87WPM-8-3.3-Full-Range-Speaker-8-Ohm-292-590
I haven't heard either of those, nor have I heard anything about them. I know from experience that the TC9 is a great fit for this application. I built a pair of open baffle two-ways with the TC9 as the mid-tweeter and it's amazing. I also built a pair of the NOLA clones with the TC9 and it is also amazing.
I'm glad a grabbed several of them in the past, now that the price has increased. Even with the price increase, I'm a firm believer in the TC9 for mid-tweeter use.
Mike