10F/8424 & RS225-8 FAST / WAW Ref Monitor

Nice, i was afraid by piece of wood with 0.1mm precision !!

alaways with this project, i've read for you the best assocition was the Alpha Nirvana amp.

i have probalby to move on another forum for this subject but how do you do to conciliate your main front left and right speaker with the good amp for hifi listenning and the home theater environnement? is there a ingenius diy solution?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I don’t do home theater HiFi so not best person to answer.

One solution is to get an 8ch DSP and use something like JRiver and setup your 5.1 or 7.1 channels in its software. Connect your favorite amps to the DSP signal outputs.

A great amp for this speaker are some good 100w class AB designs on DIYA. More power and less heat. Choose one that is easy to build, fully supported, and sounds great.

I have stuffing in the closed end up to the woofer, then a small loose amount right at the top of the turn. The rest of the line is empty except for eggcrate foam lining. Adding 5x more stuffing at the top hairpin essentially killed the bass from the TL. So you can really adjust it exactly from 0 to max.

Hey XRK, I'm a bit lost as to where you're describing, do you mean like this? A being mildly dense, then changing the amount at B to tune bass?

Attachments

• Bass tuning.PNG
    Bass tuning.PNG
    535.9 KB · Views: 416
Ignore the above, I figured it out lol. I've now built 1 speaker (still need to finish in poly/mount the XO) but got it fired up on my (mostly working) FH9HVX and it sounds truly phenomenal, so much detail with a punchy bass (made me realize a bunch of my playlist songs are mastered poorly lol)

Will very much enjoy having the second unit up and running, and to think that the project onset was a pair of C-notes...

Attachments

• IMG_1507.jpg
    IMG_1507.jpg
    594.1 KB · Views: 663
  • IMG_1517.jpg
    IMG_1517.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 653
  • IMG_1529.jpg
    IMG_1529.jpg
    876.2 KB · Views: 630
  • IMG_1534.jpg
    IMG_1534.jpg
    698.9 KB · Views: 635
  • IMG_1544.jpg
    IMG_1544.jpg
    559.6 KB · Views: 621
  • IMG_1561.jpg
    IMG_1561.jpg
    487.7 KB · Views: 346
  • IMG_1563.jpg
    IMG_1563.jpg
    519.8 KB · Views: 348
Reactions: 1 user
Thanks! It has the crossover, it's just resting on the foam vs actually mounted at the moment. The back brace is nice, it makes assembly easier, but I was concerned about the volume reduction but the speaker sounds so good I won't think about it. As far as stuffing is concerned I'm running with only some in A as the photo above shows, and nothing else haha. I love the power and clarity of the bass from this thing.

Not solved the FH9HVX, I think the likely path forward is purchasing another PCB and redoing, likely quicker/cheaper that way

Awesome, great to hear about the volume reassurance. The 10F chamber is sealed at the back (foam core cap to the dagger, and some sound damping material over the top, the cable is sealed too). It's a 5 sided foam core dagger as I saw that you suggested that shape a few times on this thread.

Got the second unit built/finished in satin poly. Sounds really incredible as a full set, will wait a few days for everything to be broken in before summarizing listening impressions. I'll also update the CAD and post that as there's a couple of minor changes if I was to build them again. (if anyone is looking to use the CAD, you should be comfortable using a chisel/planar to properly tolerance the pieces to compensate for CNC inaccuracies)