100W Ultimate Fidelity Amplifier

Great job on the PSU design - instead of changing and re-routing the mosfets, wouldn't TIP31/32 been a decent replacement? I'm not sure, that's why I'm asking.

Also - any chance you have Lay file, or gerbers for the SR200 type of PCB design?

since the original design works fine I didn't want it to change it too much,

oh the SR200? yes I do have it is a copy from Alex layout so please make sure is correct "those are the years where I was learning to use the software in 2013 :p

Attachments

• files.JPG
    files.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 720
  • Apex SR200.zip
    118.7 KB · Views: 327
About the Apex A14, need some help

I have the boards from prasi

Matched the Q1-Q2 transistors HFE (158)

Amp is running but the voltage across Q12 and Q14 emitter differs ~25mv.

On Q12 i have 34mv across emitter
On Q14 i have 56mv across emitter

Prasi told me that to find the correct bias i had to divide the voltage across the emitter by 0.66. The correct bias for this amp is around 50-60ma. This way, i have 51ma and 84ma.

Guidance please.

Thank you all

Joined 2013
Paid Member
The emitter resistors should be 0.33r, not 0.66. If you are measuring across them, you actually have 100 and 170mA of current.
I generally average them to safe figures, so put Q12 to 12mV and Q14 should be around 22mV and you will be fine.
Are your heatsinks getting hot? That’s the final judge of how much bias is too much.

The emitter resistors should be 0.33r, not 0.66. If you are measuring across them, you actually have 100 and 170mA of current.
I generally average them to safe figures, so put Q12 to 12mV and Q14 should be around 22mV and you will be fine.
Are your heatsinks getting hot? That’s the final judge of how much bias is too much.

Yes, .33r. Im measuring with one DMM lead on the emitter leg, and the other
at the ground.

is that correct?

Joined 2013
Paid Member
Raising the bias does nothing for output power. If bias is too low it will cause distortion, but anything over 15mA should be plenty to avoid that.
I would go with 50mA and see how hot your heatsink gets after 30-45 minutes of music. You should be able to hold you hand on it for at least 3-5 seconds without discomfort. I have never had a reason to bias BJTs any higher.
It’s DIY so feel free to raise in small increments and see what you think, just keep a close eye one temperatures.