100W Ultimate Fidelity Amplifier

That looks real nice, would anyone happen to have a SPRINT or Gerber files for it (50mm x 50mm would be sweet).

It is simple enough for p-2-p on a perf board but would be so much cleaner on a custom PCB.

Thanks.

As I know pcb still isn't released. Headphone amp:

Attachments

• Apex Headphone Amplifier.jpg
    Apex Headphone Amplifier.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 45,677
One can buy a brand new A30 with case, PSU, prea-amp, motorized remote control(?) etc... for about $400, and used for $100 on eBay. Seems like a deal if one was good with the topology. You can't DIY a finished boxed amp and PSU for less.

You can buy used amp for $100 but with 100VA transformer, plastic speaker terminals, 100g heatsinks, about 6800uF caps... or you can diy $1000 amp ;)

Attachments

• 26001-max_pioneer_a30_fot2.jpg
    26001-max_pioneer_a30_fot2.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 942
  • 2157aca519b0.jpg
    2157aca519b0.jpg
    379.3 KB · Views: 1,217
So the trafo allows removal of all those components via balanced inputs with no DC? Let us know how it sounds. Is this the FX8?

Thats the beauty of a trafo, It blocks the DC.
More over, removing the R & C from the signal chain, improves the SQ immediately, high input capacitance is no good. Which is why the K1058's are a good choice, they also have lower input capacitance when compared to some other MOSFETS.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
5cm Square FX8 First Sound

The Hitachi lateral FETs came in today. I installed a pair of 10ohm safety resistors in series with the power rails so that I can measure the quiescent bias current. I set the pot at about midpoint. Flipped the switch and observed about 550mA bias so quickly adjusted the pot down to 100mA current. The offset voltage was -15mV and there is no adjustment for that other than matching the LTP stage (which I forgot to do). -15mV is very livable though. I am using a Dx PSU with 250VA 25V toroid for 35.6v rails.

Removed the safety resistors, hooked up the speaker and gave it input from my CD player (laoded with a Suzanne Vega track) headphone out (like a pre-amp to control volume). Flipped the switch and sweet music plays! :) Sounds real nice, very clear, no sign of distortion.

The heatsinks feel average warmth for a class AB at 100mA bias (probably circa 45C at moderate volume). Seems like a good place to be. The BD139/140's do feel a bit hot - probably needs a small heatsink as was shown on the silkscreen.

Anyhow, this is a nice compact amp, I really like it and will build up 5 more units for a 6 channel active amp.

542399d1460095341-100w-ultimate-fidelity-amplifier-fx8-first-sound-1.png

542400d1460095341-100w-ultimate-fidelity-amplifier-fx8-first-sound-2.png

Attachments

• FX8-first-sound-1.PNG
    FX8-first-sound-1.PNG
    670 KB · Views: 1,170
  • FX8-first-sound-2.PNG
    FX8-first-sound-2.PNG
    576.9 KB · Views: 3,062
Last edited:
The Hitachi lateral FETs came in today. I installed a pair of 10ohm safety resistors in series with the power rails so that I can measure the quiescent bias current. I set the pot at about midpoint. Flipped the switch and observed about 550mA bias so quickly adjusted the pot down to 100mA current. The offset voltage was -15mV and there is no adjustment for that other than matching the LTP stage (which I forgot to do). -15mV is very livable though. I am using a Dx PSU with 250VA 25V toroid for 35.6v rails.

Removed the safety resistors, hooked up the speaker and gave it input from my CD player (laoded with a Suzanne Vega track) headphone out (like a pre-amp to control volume). Flipped the switch and sweet music plays! :) Sounds real nice, very clear, no sign of distortion.

The heatsinks feel average warmth for a class AB at 100mA bias (probably circa 45C at moderate volume). Seems like a good place to be. The BD139/140's do feel a bit hot - probably needs a small heatsink as was shown on the silkscreen.

Anyhow, this is a nice compact amp, I really like it and will build up 5 more units for a 6 channel active amp.

Nice work.
Regards