• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Remote control kits

Re: couple of questions?

pred said:
I've browsed trough your site and your kits seem very interesting. But as always I have a question:

Any plans for a kit with a balance control?

The RelVol2, RelVol3 and ChipVol1 already support a balance control. Control2 can be used with two motorised pots for volume/balance also.

128 steps?

64 steps seam to be more than enough for me. 32 would actually be fine also. Why would you need 128 steps?

I am no expert in relays but you say that any 50ohm plus relay works fine on your kits, does that mean they have all the same footprint?

That was for the Remote1 kit. The relays are not installed on the PCB, so you can use any type in that case.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

That was fast!

Can you just explan me how one can use rel vol 3 for SE not balanced inputs? I am not sure how... I wanted standard cinch inputs and a balance control.

What relays do you use on relvol3 board. I have a lot of relays so I might just have the relays you are using...

About 128 steps, I do not know, is 64 enough? I was using motorized ALPS up to now and never tried the steped controles, so I am kind a newbie in relay switching...

Thank you in advance,
Pred

Re: That was fast!

pred said:
Can you just explan me how one can use rel vol 3 for SE not balanced inputs? I am not sure how... I wanted standard cinch inputs and a balance control.

A balanced attenuator is in most cases just a 4-channel attenuator. So you just connect only two channels for unbalanced use.

What relays do you use on relvol3 board. I have a lot of relays so I might just have the relays you are using...

A miniature type with 3.2mm row spacing. AGN2004 is one type.

About 128 steps, I do not know, is 64 enough? I was using motorized ALPS up to now and never tried the steped controles, so I am kind a newbie in relay switching...

I don't think you'll need more than 64 steps. Steps smaller than you can hear are not normally needed ;)

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Help with remote problem

Hi,
Although this is not the right forum, forgive me, there seem to be many experts here in remotes that may be can help.
The remote in my amplifier, Audio refinement, works sometimes. How can I tell if it is the remote or the amplifier the one with the problem?
Thanks.

Re: Help with remote problem

primare said:
The remote in my amplifier, Audio refinement, works sometimes. How can I tell if it is the remote or the amplifier the one with the problem?

That can be difficult. You could try connecting an IR receiver to a scope to watch the output. A common problem is worn switches in the remote.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Do a search for MCM Electronics and look for an infrared detector card there. I am sure other companies sell a similar item. There is also a more expensive version that will hook up to a scope and allow you to see the actual pulses. If the remote is putting out pulses , then chances are it is the receiver in the unit. Most of the time it is the remote, though.

Chuck

in this image: http://electronics.dantimax.dk/Kits/Selectors_-_attenuators/11021337032_1.html

I believe this is the RelVol1C. can this replace a stepped attenuator/log pot? Do I need anything else?

I do not want something with remote control capability. But I'm hoping that the RelVol1C works similar to a log pot where turning the knob would lower/increase volume.

Is RelVol1C the right product to buy? Also does the kit includes the everything (including the relays and other parts) except the resistors?

thank you.

jarthel said:
I believe this is the RelVol1C. can this replace a stepped attenuator/log pot?
Do I need anything else?

Yes, and only a 5V power supply.

I do not want something with remote control capability. But I'm hoping that the RelVol1C works similar to a log pot where turning the knob would lower/increase volume.

Yes, that's the way it works. If you don't want the remote control function, just leave out the IR sensor.

Also does the kit includes the everything (including the relays and other parts) except the resistors?

Yes.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

jarthel said:
does it has to be exactly 5V?

also I plan to use a dedicated transformer. What's the minimum VA rating for the transformer?

You need a regulated 5V supply yes, as the current draw changes a lot when you change the volume setting. You can use a 78xxPSU2 for instance (rectifier, caps and 7805 regulator).

The current draw is less than 250mA, so you only need a very small transformer.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

if the preamp has option for balance and unbalanced operation, can RelVol3 be able to be operated in balanced/unbalanced mode?

As before, I want to use a knob to lower/increase volume. I do not want any display. just the basic one.

Also with RelVol3, does it present a constant impedance similar to a log pot/stepped attenuator?

can i use a 3.2VA 9VAC@350mA transformer with RelVol3?

Thank you for the help :)

jarthel said:
1. What's the minimum VA rating of the transformer if i'll be using RelVol3 + basic control. I'm thinking of using 5VA 8VAC@620mA.

2. same question as no.1 but for RelVol1c. I'm thinking of using 2.4VA 8VAC@300mA.

Yes, those will work.

And yes, the RelVol1/3 has a constant input impedance (unlike a pot) - if loaded with a constant impedance.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

mcs said:

And yes, the RelVol1/3 has a constant input impedance (unlike a pot) - if loaded with a constant impedance.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

I think I was unclear with my question.
=====

Does the RelVol1/3 present a constant impedance like a log pot? for example: I have a 100K stepped attenuator. Can I safely replaced it with one of your relay attenuator.

You said "unlike a pot" so that got me confused. I know some relay attenuators like those sold by "Russ White" does not present a constant impedance.

Thanks again

jarthel said:
I think I was unclear with my question.
=====

Does the RelVol1/3 present a constant impedance like a log pot?

No :)

A log pot does not present a constant impedance. If you have a 50k pot followed by an amp with a 100k input impedance, the load presented by the pot will change from 33k to 50k depending on the setting. If you use the RelVol1/3 you will have a constant input impedance all the time.

for example: I have a 100K stepped attenuator. Can I safely replaced it with one of your relay attenuator.

Yes.

You said "unlike a pot" so that got me confused. I know some relay attenuators like those sold by "Russ White" does not present a constant impedance.

Pots only present a constant impedance when they are unloaded - not a very likely scenario in the real world :)

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen