• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Remote control kits

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Folks:

I sent this question to Mikkel via email a few weeks ago but did not get a response.

Can anyone recommend a way to debug a problem I'm having with attenuation on my preamp? My preamplifier is an Aleph P 1.7 that uses Control2, C2Panel1-2, Input2 and RelVol3 boards and the front panel is configured with volume and balance controls. Lately, when I turn the attenuator knob on my preamp, one channel works fine and the other works sporadically. When it works, the second channel attenuates just like the first channel. But it "cuts out" frequently, meaning that at some attenuation settings the second channel goes silent.

Is this likely a problem with the volume encoder, the RelVol3 board or something else? If the problem is likely the encoder, can anyone recommend a suitable replacement?

Many thanks,
Scott

... and RelVol3 boards and the front panel is configured with volume and balance controls. Lately, when I turn the attenuator knob on my preamp, one channel works fine and the other works sporadically. When it works, the second channel attenuates just like the first channel. But it "cuts out" frequently, meaning that at some attenuation settings the second channel goes silent.

That's a relays+resistors attenuator isn't it? Sounds like bad relay contacts and/or failure of a relay to actuate. If I were you, I would check the relay actuation: do they click? are the coils a reasonable resistance? are the driver transistors OK? From there you can decide whether to replace a failed (physically stuck, open coil or dirty contacts) relay or maybe the ULN2003 if it's failing to pull the relay in. If the relays are actuating, what is the closed contact resistance?

Kind of jumping in here, but I am looking for a remote control preamp board/kit/plans that would allow me to use a Sony remote control. I remember reading a post somewhere on DIY that mentioned an passive pre board w/remote on eBay. Chinese vendor. I have not found the post or the vendor.

Any ideas/help appreciated. Will go with my diy amp and dyi full range speakers.

Disabled Account
Joined 2005
Kind of jumping in here, but I am looking for a remote control preamp board/kit/plans that would allow me to use a Sony remote control. I remember reading a post somewhere on DIY that mentioned an passive pre board w/remote on eBay. Chinese vendor. I have not found the post or the vendor.

Any ideas/help appreciated. Will go with my diy amp and dyi full range speakers.

The Dantimax gear is RC5 only as far as I know.

Does anyone have a copy of the manual for the VolControl2?

I need to set it to talk to the RelVol2. At the moment its set for RelVol1 I think.

I've had no response from Mikkel and there doesn't seem to be any resource online.
Thanks for your help!
Did you send me an e-mail? I have been busy, so I may have missed it...

You need a different microcontroller, to change from RelVol1 to RelVol2.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Folks:

I could use some assistance in debugging a problem with a Control2 board. The other Dantimax boards (Input2, RelVol3 & Control2) in my Aleph P 1.7 preamp are working perfectly. The preamp has been in storage for a couple of years and, when I recently reinstalled it in a stereo system, the display stopped working. The Aleph P plays fine -- it's just the display that doesn't light up.

Assuming that the problem most likely resided in one or both of the active components on the Control2 board, I replaced Q1 with a BC327.25 (with pins reversed) and Q2 with another BC547B. When I reinstalled the Control2 board in the preamp, the display lit up perfectly. Everything worked! I then pulled the plug and reinserted the Aleph P in the stereo. When it was turned on again, the display stayed dark.

I am no engineer and my understanding of the circuit is rudimentary at best. Any and all sage advice is appreciated!

Regards,
Scott

Attachments

• Overhead View.JPG
    Overhead View.JPG
    469.1 KB · Views: 63