• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Remote control kits

An update:

Back on February 4th, 2010 I was asked by mcs for my address which I sent the same day.

I was told I might have a chip problem with my RelVol module. I was told by mcs that he would be sending me a replacement chip as he suspected the chip on my board maybe defective. As of today, July 29th, 2010 I have received nothing.

My purchase from mcs was a huge waste of money and a big disappointment. Being lied to adds insult to injury.

Just a heads up for anyone that is thinking about buying one of his products.

Last edited:
An update:

This afternoon I received a package from Mikkel. He sent me two Atmel 89C4051 chips and a new IR sensor.

Background:

He contacted me immediately after I posted to this thread on Thursday to tell me he had overlooked the PM containing my address. He said he would ship out the chip we had discussed previously ASAP.

That's pretty fast shipping!

I had removed the RelVol1C from service due to loud clicks and pops through the speakers while changing volume, the volume intermittently getting louder then quieter, then louder, while turning the rotary encoder "down" and no remote capability. The clicks and pops and remote capable issues were there since day one. The volume problem developed later, after using it for a short while.

I swapped out the Atmel chip with ease due to the IC socket. I also at the same time removed and replaced the IR sensor with the new one.

As I type I have the RelVol1C back in use in my homebrew BF246 line buffer. After changing out the parts there are absolutely no clicks or pops through the speakers at all while changing volume, NONE, all I hear is the soft click of the relays.

The volume control when turned manually is smooth and proportional in control of the volume and relays. No more diving for the off button as the volume increases drastically while trying to reduce volume.

Last but not least, the remote feature now functions properly. I had spent a small fortune on second hand and universal remotes to try and get one that works. Now, all on hand work and work without me having to sit down and program them. :confused:
The kicker is the mute function works as well.

So, as it stands now, my unit is fully functional as described. In fact it sounds superb! I prefer to the the commercially available discrete switched attenuators I have on hand from a number of companies.

I'll give credit where credit is due. He did take care of my issues as promised.
I cannot blame Mikkel for faulty parts. However, I do wish this had been resolved sooner.

I'm hoping there are no more problems or issues with this unit and that I can wholeheartedly recommend it. If it had worked like this since day one I would have ordered at least one more since. In it's current (read functional) form :D this is by far the best relay based attenuator I have built/used.

Hags,
Congratulations on getting the correct parts and making the REl1 volume control work properly. I had noted a reverse volume roll -a-coaster on mine when I had it loaded (resistors) too little. It was corrected with a much higher resistance loading. My remote always worked properly, after finding the correct remote wand.

I'll have to shoot Mikkel an email and see if I can buy a Atmel 89C4051 chip from him to correct my clicks and pops when I change volume. It's so annoying I'm not using my tube preamp anymore.........;( crying.

Thanks for the input Hags.

Pano,
Thanks for the PMs and reopening this thread. Good Moderator, :drink:

Renron

Hags,
Congratulations on getting the correct parts and making the REl1 volume control work properly. I had noted a reverse volume roll -a-coaster on mine when I had it loaded (resistors) too little. It was corrected with a much higher resistance loading. My remote always worked properly, after finding the correct remote wand.

I'll have to shoot Mikkel an email and see if I can buy a Atmel 89C4051 chip from him to correct my clicks and pops when I change volume. It's so annoying I'm not using my tube preamp anymore.........;( crying.

Thanks for the input Hags.

Pano,
Thanks for the PMs and reopening this thread. Good Moderator, :drink:

Renron

Sure, no problem. I'm not sure what the Atmel chip has to do with the clicks and pops, I would think that's a function or issue with the non-shorting relays, but they are completely gone now.

I'm really impressed with it right now. Hopefully there are no more issues.

For the benefit of others reading this thread, I've not heard anything from Mikkel.
At this point I must join the the crowd and recommend AGAINST anyone buying anything from Mikkel's website.
His products do work, with exceptions. I am happy with his input switching device / relay.
But his lack of communication is unacceptable.

I will not be buying anything else from him, ever.

Ron