Poor Serbian Man Optical Volume Control

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
these days I'm sorta divided person ....... writing all the time how preceding stage must have low output impedance , and writing in same time how PSM LS have input impedance in range of 10K ......

nope , no , niet , whatever .....

I slipped it once by one zero , and just continued to repeat same mistake , even thinking all the time without that zero .

George nicely put not just one time in several first posts in his thread that you must use low output impedance ;

this light thingie isn't in any case different from GeorgeHiFi's original Lightspeed ;

yes - driving circ isn't the same , used LDRs aren't the same ....... but they are similar enough .

:clown: no free sonic lunch .....

this one also have minimum impedance bellow 1K in one spot ....... and you must count on that .
frankly - almost any other position of pot itself will give much or muchmuch greater impedance ....... but minimum is what's counting

sorry if I disappointed you .....

Hello all,
i think you could read between the lines and know my problem...
I like valvebased phonostages and also i like the lightspeed-thing.
And there is, as you know the impedance thing.
I think it would be the best to build an bufferstage for one input of
my preamp that lowers the impedance of the valvestade to fit the
lightspeed.....right??
Anyone who has an idea for an top quality buffer for this idea?
Circuits please

Greetings Ulf

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
le´flu said:
Hello all,
i think you could read between the lines and know my problem...
I like valvebased phonostages and also i like the lightspeed-thing.
And there is, as you know the impedance thing.
I think it would be the best to build an bufferstage for one input of
my preamp that lowers the impedance of the valvestade to fit the
lightspeed.....right??
Anyone who has an idea for an top quality buffer for this idea?
Circuits please

Greetings Ulf

you can put one buffer in front of LS , and one after ;

everything solved .........

regarding buffer between toob stage and LS -
depending what solution you prefer - either build Wright's SLCF in phonostage case , or build JC Jfet buffer ( same as we use in this drek) , or build Borbely's buffer ......

or build B1 as some funny person sez ( :clown: ) :

Nelson Pass said:
Search under member = Nelson Pass, Buffer, Lightspeed

:cool:

depending what you have in drawer , or nearest parts store - you can make Papa's B1 with Toshiba jfets , or ZM bastardized iteration for quick and impatient DiyAs - with J310 jfets .
they're both cheap and easy for find - as popcorns ( luckily - they last little longer than usual popcorn ... )

Papa's versions of buffered LS :

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1521766#post1521766

btw . G. Rollins posted several months ago - his drawing of buffer-pot-buffer stage ....... dunno how to find it ..... I tried , but .....

you can pretty easy use the same , but with LS instead of pot

Hi out there,
so for anyone interested in a tubebuffer:
Here it is....
Thanks to george who recommended this
too and linked me this schematic.

Thanks

ulf

Attachments

• low%20out%20z%20tube%20buffer.jpg
    low%20out%20z%20tube%20buffer.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 1,938
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
le´flu said:
Hi out there,
so for anyone interested in a tubebuffer:
Here it is....
Thanks to george who recommended this
too and linked me this schematic.

Thanks

ulf

yup
that's sort of SLCF - origin (according to AW) coming from ancient Tectronix 'scopes

CCS as load (lower triode) , working triode cascoded - so working in constant voltage conditions

Re: Re: tube buffer

Zen Mod said:

I adore his enthusiasm , primary with speakers ........ then with chasing digital Graal .....

but - his musings with tubes are somewhat ........

I think his fascination with tubes comes from their inherent simplicity. An IC looks simple but how many stages are there in that little black chip. Plus, tubes add those cool 2nd order harmonics.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Re: Re: Re: tube buffer

marc brown said:

I think his fascination with tubes comes from their inherent simplicity. An IC looks simple but how many stages are there in that little black chip. Plus, tubes add those cool 2nd order harmonics.

toobz are my primary love ;
Papa is sole responsible for my messing with 3 & 7 legged fuses , mainly because of his popular "that's no bigger than life " attitude .......

anyway - as I said - Fikus is good , but his own implementation of da toobz is sometimes more than questionable ......

who needs 15V right on output of "Lampized" CD ?

if you look at past , there are many examples where someone use tubes in wrong way .........

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
something new

well ....... we received today small batch of final pcbs .....

pcb01 - PSM LS
pcb02 - dedicated buffer

also - adequate number of Silonex LDRs is ready for extensive matching session .

as important note - entire project is made for balanced stereo mode , where you can also make it unbalanced , simply omitting half LDRs and two buffers .

I'll post later this evening few pics , with more details regarding construction etc.