Poor Serbian Man Optical Volume Control

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Re: How does it sound?

wlowes said:
I am curious to know how it sounds... have you done a listening test vs George's MKII?

MKII means : series LDR , shunt LDR

PSM LS will sound same as George's ;

LDR is LDR , doesn't matter with which circuit you control it ;

maybe we have some more freedom in settings ......

main difference is in buffer stage , dedicated for PSM LS ........ hehe even if it is universal for anything you can think of ......

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
PIECE OF CAKE

1/3

Attachments

• piece-of-cake-1.jpg
    piece-of-cake-1.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 1,390
Hi Choky,
I just finished the matching procedure of my (small) batch of 50.
I've encountered, however, a problem: my basement is quite cold (abt. 10° C), and the LDRs are veeeeery temperature-sensitive.
The R value (@ 30mA) vary of even 10% in a few minutes.
Could it preferable matching LDRs at a hottest ambient temperature? How much time do you wait for a correct reading?
Or can a reading "at the flight" after few (3-4) seconds be correct (for matching purposes)?
Thanks

Guido

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
GuidoR said:
Hi Choky,
I just finished the matching procedure of my (small) batch of 50.
I've encountered, however, a problem: my basement is quite cold (abt. 10° C), and the LDRs are veeeeery temperature-sensitive.
The R value (@ 30mA) vary of even 10% in a few minutes.
Could it preferable matching LDRs at a hottest ambient temperature? How much time do you wait for a correct reading?
Or can a reading "at the flight" after few (3-4) seconds be correct (for matching purposes)?
Thanks

Guido

that wasn't problem when I measure mine batch , maybe because temp in my workshop was ~22C ;
anyway - with higher currents , settling time is much shorter than for lower current points .
for lower currents you can count on settling time in range of 15~20sec at least ; I repeat - with adequate temp in room , that's less critical .

whatever temp is in your environment , you must measure them all at once .

tempco was one of the reasons why we planned and implemented temp bridge for all 8 (4) LDRs ...... and - when connected in series , driven with CCS , tempco is hardly of any relevance ....

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Lego ....... continued

besides answer to Guiness - that is possible to use 4 channel buffer PCB02 as two stereo output buffers ( where one pair can be attenuated from various reasons ) .... there is another one :

Ulf asked - if using entire gadget in unbalanced - is it possible to use one pair of buffers as input buffers ?

yup - certainly - it's possible , either as buffer dedicated solely to one critical source ( read - with highish output impedance ) , or as general buffer - before LS stage itself .

something as G. Rollins's recent posting ...... somewhere in his threads.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
;( ........... ;)

as some of you probably already know - I'm struggling last 10 or so days with my bad back ( hurt back , discus hernia , whatever ) ....

I already have sorted little bulbs , jfets , pcbs ...... but I just couldn't find a way to my workshop , to pack these little things in bubblie envelopes .

anyway - even if I'm now able to sit in front of my keyboard several times in 24h , I doubt that I'll be able to sit in workshop (tomorrow or day after ) , and have enough gray cell concentration to pack them and not mix addys .

so , I expect that Monday will be D Post Day ....

even if I will be more than happy to sort these ( longer awaited than I thought ) shipments ........ I'll be certainly even happier to finally grab solder again ..........

funny - every time ( few times a year ) when I finish episodes like this one , I'm always again surprised how I'm addicted to work bench ;)

Take your time and don't push yourself on my account. The only time I took out my back I spent a week on a friends couch taking the prescribed pain killers that made the week seem like a day. No hurry on my account. I hope you have a doctor to prescribe you the good stuff.

I just got out of bed at 4:00 am because I couldn't sleep with my back & leg pain from herniated disc ( even though I've taken anti-inflammatory & codeine+Paracetemol). I see this thread - careful Zen - mine started out like yours with just back & leg pain when I worked for too long at the workbench - now I can't do any diy. Possibly an operation needed - I've seen the MRI & the lumbar disc is ruptured and completely engulfing the sciatic nerve on the right side. Agony for 2 -3 weeks - couldn't get out of bed - now I can but walking/standing/sitting is a problem for more than 5 min.

Sorry to go OT with this post but just thought I'd warn you to rest & take care before you do too much damage

Joined 2006
Paid Member
It's DIYAudio's dirty little secret.
Too much bench time, and neck and lower back can go out!

It's sidelined me often. I try to spend no more than 45 minutes at the bench before taking a long break, like a day or two. I set my stove timer.

I think my problems are obvious, dad has problems with same area in his back, and neck issues are from driving and working behind a monitor for a living.

A pretty girl from the Netherlands has been teaching me yoga streches, and it helps if you do it before......consistently.

Best wishes Choky.

I had begun to notice how many here were suffering similar problems - I had thought it might be an age thing (I'm 54) as the profile of members in the DIY community tends to veer towards that end of the age range, I suspect (Actually, I suspect a bimodal distribution).

Maybe a good wiki about ways to avoid this problem/tips/techniques would be a good help to members?

I've never started a wiki - I'll look into it - nothing much else I can do