My DIY Teres Turntable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Every time I come across threads with beautiful turntables, it makes me want to build or buy one. And it's not because I think analog is better or not, but because of the absolute artistic value I see in them. The fact that they produce gorgeous sound is honestly secondary to wanting to own one for its visual qualities. I do love me some nice tubed analog sound, but my cashflow is somewhat restrictive, and thus I simply pine... :( Thank the gods for threads like this one where i can fantasize, at least

-Jared

Hi YNWOAN , there are many way's to Rome ( is an known dutch expression ). I chose for the acrylic platter because it was easy to purchase at Scheu.de , together with bearing and DC-motor.
The plinth is chosen because it's availability. Maybe it will be replaced with an other material ( walnut ).
Experimenting and modding is one of the great sides of this hobby.

greetings

Bouquet

Hi Bouquet :), please do not think that I am criticising your design, I am not. Indeed, 'there is more than one way to skin a rabbit' (British saying). I am sure your turntable works very well and it is the fact that it is so very different (in almost every way) than my own that I find so interesting.

YNWOAN said:
please do not think that I am criticising your design, I am not.

Hi keith ,

I didn't take at it as critisism.

YNWOAN said:

it is the fact that it is so very different (in almost every way) than my own that I find so interesting.

Yes , it really is interesting.
One has to experiment with the materials and tools available.
( for instance , I don't have a lathe )
Have you visited "vinylengine.com" ?
It's a forum just about turntables and cartridges.

greetings

Ron Bouquet

Hi Ron, my real name is Mark :)

Thanks, I am a member of Viny Engine though.

I am lucky that I have access to a lot of equipment and am able to operate it. For example, when I built the magnetic bearing for my turntable I used a CNC milling machine to make the components. however, necesity is (indeed) the mother of invention, as they say :)

Look what I got today, 1000 Classical Lp's in pretty good shape, for 200$, less than 20 cents each! Some plastic for my upcoming Teres. This is just half of them on the picture by the way :cool:

Attachments

• lp's.jpg
    lp's.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 1,114
My wood base, see page 2 for picture, cost me only 60$. I have it made by a local wood craftsman. He likes to do custom, special jobs. He used dried maple used to build cast mold, from an other small shop next his door. It is laminated and built custom for me according to my ACAD drawing.The finish is just perfect, ready for lacquer or varnish.

Resuming work on my Teres. As suggested by some other members, I added lead to the wood case. To so so, I drilled eight 1-1/4" diameter holes into the base, around the bearing mounting hole. I choose this hole size because I have a wood rod of this exact diameter in stock. The drill bit am using is working like a charm into the dry maple, but make a loot of chips...

Wood base starting weight was 3.73Kg

Attachments

• teres_drilling holes_small.jpg
    teres_drilling holes_small.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 880
Hence the final result. Final weight with lead installed is 4.37Kg, or 0.64Kg of lead. Weight addition was suggested to be between 10% to 20% of the original weight. I added 17%. All good :cool:

If you look closely, you'll see a small hole near one of the lead plug. This hole will be use to install a blue led that will illuminate the platter stroboscopic mark (used originally by the Teres speed controller). I'm planning to build small crystal oscillator with the correct frequencies to match the strobe marks and the two speeds 33-1/4 and 45 rpm. Then I can use the stobe marks as a speed indicator since my controller is purely analog.

Attachments

• teres_caps installed.jpg
    teres_caps installed.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 822
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.