My DIY Teres Turntable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'll use a Graham 2.1 tonearm and Dynavector Karat 17D2MKII MC Cartridge. It is all described on my web page at http://pages.infinit.net/cyrberg. Thanks for your kind comments.

Here the table spinning for the first time using my motor speed controller prototype (Mark Kelly design). I'm using the thread pulley and a silk thread to drive the platter. I have also the tape drive but I'm doing my testing with the simpler thread drive (simpler to setup).

Attachments

• spinning prototype_small.jpg
    spinning prototype_small.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 1,011
Hi. Thanks for your kind comments. The result is indeed not bad :D
How doesn't sound? In a word very great! I'm using it with a Graham 2.1 tonearm(with 2.2 upgrades) and an Ortofon Kontrapunkt-H MC cartridge. Phono preamp being the Audio Research PH5, and shortly the new PhonoClone3, more on that later).

This is my best analog setup so far. It leaves my Technodec/Rega 300 setup in the dust. The amount of details and ''being just there'' kind of feeling is just incredible. What was also shocking, was also to use the Graham on-the-fly VTA micrometer adjustment, and see the big impact that VTA can have on the music. Bass are solid, music is fast, just excellent music.

However, I was also shocked to realized that all the effort I put into building the support platform, well, was maybe done for nothing, but at least I was expecting more insulation from vibration. If you tap the support platform, you hear clearly the 'thumb' going back into the cartridge and the preamp chain. But not if I tap the table lead-loaded base itself. I guest the platform vibration goes through the bolts that screw into the table base. I may have a better result if I just drop the table base on the riser, seating on the platform, but without the bolts. Or to use some form of decoupling between the risers and both surface, maybe sorbothane sheet would help. Anyway, in normal use, it doesn't seem to be an issue.

There is absolutely no bearing noise and the platter speed stability (using Mark kelly controller) is excellent. All in all I'm very happy with the result. It is also something very nice to look at, a nice toy :cool:

For now, it has been disassembled and all packed for my upcoming house move. It took three big boxes to packed all the parts, the motor pod, the speed controller and all the accessories. Maybe the best turntable I'll ever be able to afford, so in my book, it is a keeper :angel:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.