My DIY Teres Turntable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi. I received the Teres acrylic platter and bearing assy today in perfect condition. I bought them from an other user, randytsuch. It was very well packed. Thanks Randy.

My teardrop wood base is in the making at a furniture maker shop. He will charge me only about 50-60$ to make the complete base and armboard, all made of dried maple, laminated and ready for finishing. It doesn't worth to do it myself ;-)

I'm planning to put bird-eye maple veneer on it and nice lacquer finish.

I have 3 diamond cones feet on order to put under the turntable.
I already have my own version of Mark Kelly Maxon battery supply motor controller already built and ready to go.
One of my contact in Europe will build me a nice pulley for the new mylar tape drive as used in the new Teres. He can also get me the Maxon Motor.

I'll start the motor enclosure in the next week. It may well be a BIX turntable motor casing with a custom top plate to fit the Maxon motor.

Finally, I'm planing to build a DIY Shroeder tonearm to go with it. A lot of fun in the making.

Here the platter. I'll buy the Teres record clamp.

Attachments

• the platter.jpg
    the platter.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 5,322
Algar_emi said:
Hi. I received the Teres acrylic platter and bearing assy today in perfect condition. I bought them from an other user, randytsuch. It was very well packed. Thanks Randy.

My teardrop wood base is in the making at a furniture maker shop. He will charge me only about 50-60$ to make the complete base and armboard, all made of dried maple, laminated and ready for finishing. It doesn't worth to do it myself ;-)

I'm planning to put bird-eye maple veneer on it and nice lacquer finish.

I have 3 diamond cones feet on order to put under the turntable.
I already have my own version of Mark Kelly Maxon battery supply motor controller already built and ready to go.
One of my contact in Europe will build me a nice pulley for the new mylar tape drive as used in the new Teres. He can also get me the Maxon Motor.

I'll start the motor enclosure in the next week. It may well be a BIX turntable motor casing with a custom top plate to fit the Maxon motor.

Finally, I'm planing to build a DIY Shroeder tonearm to go with it. A lot of fun in the making.

Hi
Good, glad everything arrived safely.

Good luck with your project, sounds like you will have a really nice TT when you're done, I am sure it will rival some high end tables.

Glad you're making better use of the stuff than I did.

Randy

FYI:

I used synthetic oil in mine: 5W30 IIRC.

The Teres clamp is excellent - I have the delrin one and its very good in operation - you know the way its used, right? with the spacer under it etc?

Chris can be a little slow to respond to emails, try ringing him.

Teres also have a brass thrust plate that the ball at the bottom of the bearing runs on - it has a little dimple of teflon or delrin at the centre. If you don't have that, ask Chris about it too.

I'm sure you'll be happy its a great TT.

Fran

The ball in the end of the spindle is supposed to be a steel ball at all times.
The little white teflon or delrin plate should match with the bottom af the brass sleeve, - I think this was the early version.
There were several experiments with different trust plates, - delrin, teflon, bronze etc. but I can't recall a brass/teflon combo. You either use brass, bronze or teflon - I can't remember the comments for the different versions, but IIRC the oil bronze was the later preferred thingie. If the trust plate is unused, there should not be a dent in it, - the bearing ball will make its own tiny little dent quite quickly, at least in teflon or delrin.

Hm.... then this is yet another version.
IIRC the oil-bronze was the favoured one in the last the last days of the Teres forum. Pity that the original pages are not accessible any more.. good source for ideas.
I made the bearing several years ago.. Still stuck in a drawer at work. Got too much other things to take care of, both time and moneywise, Well........some day I guess.....

BTW Fran....How is your base and plinth made??

As far as I know, the original pages are still available on the teres site, under "information" and the look about a bit. I've looked through a lot of stuff there.

The plinth is a composite of birch ply/mdf/birch ply. Then drilled out with cavities filled with lead shot so that the shot is about 60% of the weight. A sealing cover then of mdf.

The supporting tubes are steel filled with lead shot.

The base is more MDF/ply/MDF/ply. No lead shot in it - I'd used it all up!

Sound is great, very very solid with absolutely no discernable wow.

Fran

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.