Looking for a good CD player

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Bricolo,
You should really try to do some research by yourself.
For example marantz web site has a very good product archive of all their past products and years of manufacture.
I wouldn't buy something more than 4-5 years old since digital has come a long way in that time especially in budget to mid price players.

protos said:
Bricolo,
You should really try to do some research by yourself.
For example marantz web site has a very good product archive of all their past products and years of manufacture.
I wouldn't buy something more than 4-5 years old since digital has come a long way in that time especially in budget to mid price players.

I checked theyr site, but haven't found anything on theyr old cd players (going on the menu-> past products-> cd players and changers, only goes to a pages with the old cd changers, no players :/ )

protos said:
Well, if you weren't in such a rush and checked the list better you would find them under COMPACT DISC PLAYERS .
If you also search with any search engine you will find consumer review sites on any type of cd player.Look at the Excite site/user reviews.

the search you are talking about, on marantz's site, under compact disc players, only gives names and theyr year, no other details :/

Great :) Thank you!

After having read a few reviews about marantz players (since most of you told me about second hand marantz, i'll for a marantz, unless there is a better choice)

I've found that there are 2 different transports used: both philips, but one some players it's the CDM4, on some others it's the CDM12

is one better?

Hi,

The CD-80 use a CDM-1 the best on IMHO.
The CD-60 use a CDM-4 the seccond best.
THe CD-72 use a CDM-4 MKII also 2nd best.
The CD-4000 use a CDM-12.x ?????? also OK!

The TEAC VRDS-7 Use the same transport as the VRDS T1 transport.

All together tremendus players, I had them all.
I now use (after selling my Wadia 8 transport) The TEAC VRDS 25X which I'll modify within a few weeks with the new KWAK Clock-7 and the IV output like the PASS D1 post DAC Amp! The VRDS 25X use the same transport as the Wadia top player 270.

Gr.

AF.;)

Consider that: CDM 1, 4 and 4 mkII are very hard to find nowdays as spare parts if the need to be replace.
CDM 12.1 is replaced by VAM 1202 (in production), easy to find and cheap.

Teac VRDS 25 and Wadia 270 use the same transport, but they do sound very different (wadia mo' better) due to the different cabinet and PS and probably beacuse Wadia used to further tweak the Teac servo board (clock?).
Even the S/PDIF and AES/EBU outs in the Wadia were different with an add-on small pcb.

Massimo,

You'r allmost right!
The CDM-4 and the MKII transports are very reliable. The CDM 1 also, I'v never had a defect one in my hands. Manny people think that the laser unit is defect, but they don't realise that most of the time it's not the laser.

The Wadia transport has indeed an in-output board and a tweeked Clock AND a real thick aluminum case with toroid transformers.
But thats abowt it!
Knowing all that, I thought, well if Wadia can........;) ;) ;)

So I bought the same transport for less :$: :$: :$: :$: and will hear the diff. when my Player is tweeked. I'll report every modification to you guys.

AF.;)

Bricolo said:

this is a 1989's model

is this really a good choice, or do you agree with protos, who says that anything older than 5 years because it would be worse than an actual new budget or midrange cd player?

I compared my Marantz CD-94 to the recent Technics DVD A-10. There was no contest. The Technics is long sold, and I still keep my Marantz.;)

Audiofanatic said:
Massimo,

1) Manny people think that the laser unit is defect, but they don't realise that most of the time it's not the laser.

2) Knowing all that, I thought, well if Wadia can........;) ;) ;)

3) So I bought the same transport for less :$: :$: :$: :$: and will hear the diff. when my Player is tweeked. I'll report every modification to you guys.

AF.;)

1) If isn't the laser, what else?
Yesterday I replaced a CDM12.1 (paid €25.50 at the shop around the corner) from a palyer that didn't read 5 CDs out of 10 and immediately worked perfectly..... So, did I through 25 € in the trash bin?

2) What do you mean with ;) ;) ;) ?
Are you looking for somebody that can post some W schematics?
Maybe the 270 DigOut section......

3) Every DIYer has the same dream! Thank you in advance.

P.S. buy a spare KSS xxx for the Teac untill they last and keep it for the future! Noboby knows.......

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.