Looking for a good CD player

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The Pioneer DVD-656A (CD/DVD/DVD-A) is very good @ < 200. Also Sony SACD 775 or its replacement is also good @ < 200. Sony NS-500V (or its replacement) is also decent @ < 200. If you want universal player (CD/DVD/DVD-A/SACD) you can get the Pioneer 45Ai for about $400, also very good.

The above can be modded for even better performance should you have the urge to upgrade.

IMHO, other budget favoriates like NAD, Cambridge, Marantz don't even compare.

I have listened to all of the above stock (except the 45Ai, which I'm told is the 656A plus SACD capability). I own a MODDED NS-500V and prefer it to the stock Philips SACD 1000 in the same system.

ok, don't buy one of these old players......they all need :
clock upgrade.....
better opamps......
or
(much better) discrete output stage.......
rebuild power supplies.......
better electrolytics........
better rectifiers.......
better regulators........
after all these years the transport section is tired........

and last but not least.....many of the old designs have
very poor layout.......

i bet you are confused now......:cheerful:

(expand your budget)

tbla said:
ok, don't buy one of these old players......they all need :
clock upgrade.....
better opamps......
or
(much better) discrete output stage.......
rebuild power supplies.......
better electrolytics........
better rectifiers.......
better regulators........
after all these years the transport section is tired........

and last but not least.....many of the old designs have
very poor layout.......

i bet you are confused now......:cheerful:

(expand your budget)

I'm not, cauz I hope you're joking ;)

Hi Bricolo,

If you'r planning to buy this "first"CD-Player for €300,= max! You'll have to be awear of the fact that if you want a (semi)High-End Player, you'll have to settledown with a 2nd hand one and hope that the player will work for atleast 4 years.

I'f you buy a new one, than my advice is, buy a Philips 7xx one, or the DIY pro model Peter Daniel made! But you'll have to wait a few months more because of the higher price.

A good friend of mine still plays CD's on his CD80 Marantz and he bought it 4 years ago 2nd hand frome a "Audiolover" who used the player every single day. And it still works with the same old laserunit.

I wish you good luck and hope you'll be able to make a good choice!

Best regards,

Audiofanatic;)

Audiofanatic said:
Hi Bricolo,

If you'r planning to buy this "first"CD-Player for €300,= max! You'll have to be awear of the fact that if you want a (semi)High-End Player, you'll have to settledown with a 2nd hand one and hope that the player will work for atleast 4 years.

I'f you buy a new one, than my advice is, buy a Philips 7xx one, or the DIY pro model Peter Daniel made! But you'll have to wait a few months more because of the higher price.

A good friend of mine still plays CD's on his CD80 Marantz and he bought it 4 years ago 2nd hand frome a "Audiolover" who used the player every single day. And it still works with the same old laserunit.

Best regards,

Audiofanatic;)

almost my words..........150 postes earlier...!

Audiofanatic said:
Hi Bricolo,

Best regards,

Audiofanatic;)

that I was thinking about, is to buy a "correct" 2nd hand player, ie a marrantz CD63 I can find on ebay for 60-70$, and after some months, or one year, after having tweaked it, when I know how a cd player works, what it is made of, building a diy one with a cd pro 2

but for the momment a friend gave me an old sony cdp-102 :D 0.01% working :D (i've another topic on it)

As various owners of the CD723 and CD4000 have posted here: does anyone know what DAC is inside those players and more specifically if the signal between the decoder and the DAC is 1fs or 4fs and I2S or Sony?

On the CD720 and 721, the decoder does the 4x oversampling (and it does very sloppy oversamling!), and there is no way to get to the non-oversampled serial data.

tbla said:
here's exactly what you should get, and there is alot to modify too - and it is easy to do......!!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3008507019
:idea:

Hey, that's the teac I bought :cool:, small world. Great player it is, with plenty of room for upgrade of course. I plan a PS upgrade and a KwakClock. Meanwhile I hated the orange LED's and LCD, so I've replaced with Blue LED's and a blue LCD filter. It looks awesome now :devily:

Attachments

• teac-trans-blue1-sm.jpg
    teac-trans-blue1-sm.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 672
scraggles said:

Hey, that's the teac I bought :cool:, small world. Great player it is, with plenty of room for upgrade of course. I plan a PS upgrade and a KwakClock. Meanwhile I hated the orange LED's and LCD, so I've replaced with Blue LED's and a blue LCD filter. It looks awesome now :devily:

Hi scraggles,

Nice display and knobs! can you tell me how to modify my VRDS front!
Looks CUTE! It remind me of my old Wadia8.

Regards,

Audiofanatic;)

Wasn't difficult, I simply removed the covers and detached the front panel to expose the control PCB.
This contains six 3mm LED's, which I replaced with blue ones. The 2 LED's on each button had some slightly different lenses that produced a wider spread beam, so I sanded about 1mm from the front of the ones I used there. That way the whole of the white button is illuminated rather than having two blue spots on the front.
The perspex screen can be pushed out from the back when the panel is off, I sourced some new display filter sheet and cut and sanded to size. As this replacement was only 1.5mm thick I used two peices, and it looks like original now.

Where is the Philips CD723 sold and is it still being produced? I've searched about every search engine and I can find no mention of where/how to buy a Philips CD 723 from a website written in the English language.

I can't even find Philips CD 723 on ebay, and everything is on ebay! ;)

I am not an experienced DIYer like a lot of you gentlemen. While I would love to build something beautiful out of aluminum like Peter Daniels does, I just don't have the skills yet. I am looking for a good (new) CD player with a solid transport and a coaxial digital out so I can build my own DAC and tweak the power supply. The Philips model seems great for this but I can't find one anywhere online or off.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.