Looking for a good CD player

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Corn-Picker said:

Ahhh OK thanks a lot. I thought Marantz was a worldwide brand. I guess it's kind of like Honda/Toyota with Acura/Lexus. In Japan they have Lexus but Acuras are referred to as Hondas.

Marantz is now an independant brand. not just a philips player with different nametag. They do use some of the philips designs.

And Honda is Honda, about everywhere outside the states, not just japan...

less money?

when the budget is very low and you want to have a really good cd player - do it as many here in the forum- BUILD YOUR OWN!

I think there are many people here, who will help.
For 300$ you can not get a real high end player .

One reason, why the people here build there own Speakers and amps is that they want to get high end stuff for low end money.
And if you have low end money -diy.

greets,
Ralf

DIY_Peter said:

And Honda is Honda, about everywhere outside the states, not just japan...

And a Lexus is not a Toyota even if it is the same main company. Toyota is the main stream offering and Lexus is the "luxury" offering. Just like Mercedes and Maybach rather (and I know the comparison is not exactly fair). And that is probably true that the Acura is only an Acura in the States and nowhere else just like with many cars and models.

scraggles said:
Wasn't difficult, I simply removed the covers and detached the front panel to expose the control PCB.
This contains six 3mm LED's, which I replaced with blue ones. The 2 LED's on each button had some slightly different lenses that produced a wider spread beam, so I sanded about 1mm from the front of the ones I used there. That way the whole of the white button is illuminated rather than having two blue spots on the front.
The perspex screen can be pushed out from the back when the panel is off, I sourced some new display filter sheet and cut and sanded to size. As this replacement was only 1.5mm thick I used two peices, and it looks like original now.

Scraggles I would like to do like to the same to the horrid orange LED's on my vrds 7. Could you tell me where you got the display filter sheets from? I assume the LED's are from maplins.

Please also let us know how your other cdp mod's go.

Re: less money?

For a not completely DIY CDP, buy a used (but good condition) "tank class" machine and gut the DAC and analog audio crap.
I'm not looking to gut these yet :), but I picked up on EBay not too long ago a Sony X779ES and Onkyo DX6800. Old, but good basic design, heavy metal construction, decent transports, seperate digital/analog supplies, lots of room on the inside to play around, replacement lasers still available ....

ralf said:
when the budget is very low and you want to have a really good cd player - do it as many here in the forum- BUILD YOUR OWN!

Re: Re: less money?

mlloyd1 said:
For a not completely DIY CDP, buy a used (but good condition) "tank class" machine and gut the DAC and analog audio crap.
I'm not looking to gut these yet :), but I picked up on EBay not too long ago a Sony X779ES and Onkyo DX6800. Old, but good basic design, heavy metal construction, decent transports, seperate digital/analog supplies, lots of room on the inside to play around, replacement lasers still available ....

I don't like sony so much, because they often use theyr onw designs and parts, and this make them difficult to tweak

Old? Marantz!

The Rotel is not a bad deal.
But I did a better deal at about 2 months.
I bought, for my bedroom, a used Marantz CD-52 SE.
It's very well built, and it has an excellent transport: CDM4.
I tweaked it HEAVILY.
It's playing like an angel.:nod:
You know what?
A weak ago I found out (sorry if this isn't new for some people) that it plays CD-RWs!:cool:
Ha!
The player cost me 95€.
I wouldn't change it by that Rotel.:eek:

philips CD 723

The tweaked philips 723 solution seams the be a good one...
Anyway, that's the one i made ;-)
140 euros for the player and about 90 euros for the tweak : within your budget !

Philips must have supply problems because the delivery is a bit long (you can try www.topachat.com or www.son-video.com for new products, and i have seen used ones on www.ebay.fr for about 80 euros).

For info about the tweak, you can look at (sorry, french url) :
http://ptsoundlab.free.fr/cd/philips723/phil723.htm
http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=HAUTE_FIDELITE&msg=9819

I'll try the AD823AN AOP with a separated alim... (the original one is rather bad) You'll also have to change the 47mF capas for better ones (Elna silmic II available at www.selectronic.fr and MKPSN available at www.e44.com)

Good luck

Marantz

Hi,

I think this is the one!

Regards,

Audiofanatic ;)

Attachments

• marantz pmd 331.gif
    marantz pmd 331.gif
    26.7 KB · Views: 717
Two reasons:

First, it simply sounds great. When I compared it to the Rega Planet I thought it sounded better. After auditioning CDPs in the ~$1K price range I thought the Rega was the one to beat. A trusted friend of my suggested I try to compare his PMD-340 and the Planet. So while visiting him on vacation I did just that, borrowed one from the local hi-fi shack, needless to say I was hooked. It's not as laid back as the Rega, but not harsh. The 340 is very neutral, an all around great performer. Sounds almost as good as my highly modded MSB Link III w/ upsampling. I got mine for a steal at $600, no doubt the best money I have spent on an audio component.

Second, if you decide to upgrade your front end the 340 will make an awesome transport. It has a nice beefy cd mechanism and balanced digital out. The $100 difference between the 331 and 340 is the cd mechanism, it's a bit nicer on the 340, but everything else is the same.

Rob

Digi said:
Two reasons:

First, it simply sounds great. When I compared it to the Rega Planet I thought it sounded better. After auditioning CDPs in the ~$1K price range I thought the Rega was the one to beat. A trusted friend of my suggested I try to compare his PMD-340 and the Planet. So while visiting him on vacation I did just that, borrowed one from the local hi-fi shack, needless to say I was hooked. It's not as laid back as the Rega, but not harsh. The 340 is very neutral, an all around great performer. Sounds almost as good as my highly modded MSB Link III w/ upsampling. I got mine for a steal at $600, no doubt the best money I have spent on an audio component.

Second, if you decide to upgrade your front end the 340 will make an awesome transport. It has a nice beefy cd mechanism and balanced digital out. The $100 difference between the 331 and 340 is the cd mechanism, it's a bit nicer on the 340, but everything else is the same.

Rob

The PMD 340 uses the Philips VAM 1250/CDM 12Ind lens. This is the lens used in the CD Pro2 (refer to www.daisy-laser.com)

Any idea of the decoder, DAC and op-amps used inside?

Most importantly, is the PMD 340 based on any Marantz player currently in production?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.