Looking for a good CD player

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: DVD player

DRC said:
I had a bad experience while using a cheapish sony DVD for audio. I though the onboard DAC did not sound right, so I hooked it up to another DAC and that was almost as bad :bawling: Also, I had plenty of music CD's that would not play at all :bawling: To finish off this horror story the DVD controls were hidious needing a 2 second press for anything to happen and taking 30 seconds to start playing a CD :bawling: :bawling:

My guess was that the drive was maginal at reading CD's and was producing rather a lot of errors (or maybe jitter ?). The sound playing DVD's was much more acceptable (onboard and outboard DAC) and the picture quality was great !

Dave (and his 2p/2c)

I see no reason why a single misfortune with a bad specimen should leave this suggestion without consideration. I have used 4 different cheap DVDs and never had any problems. I have used expensive ones also without problems. In the old days AFAIK some players had problems reading CD-R but could read CD-RW or the other way round or even both. Seems to be less common with newer players.

I think 300 euro should get you a reasonable-not cheapish-DVD player.And I think their sound is not all that bad-I have a first generation DENON 3000(mainly for movies).However keep in mind that DVD players are more difficult to modify.They have a lot of extra circuits and everything is usually very cramped.

DVD players - again

I see no reason why a single misfortune with a bad specimen should leave this suggestion without consideration. I have used 4 different cheap DVDs and never had any problems. I have used expensive ones also without problems. In the old days AFAIK some players had problems reading CD-R but could read CD-RW or the other way round or even both. Seems to be less common with newer players.

I am happy that you found some good ones !

BTW - I also got the supplier to send me a second unit which had the same problem with CDs (commercial CDs, not CD-R). I also tried a friends DVD (same make but next model up in the range) - still the same. As I said the audio quality playing DVDs was good - proving there was nothing really wrong with the DAC (I don't think either model had dual lasers which is where I guess the problems lie). This model was still on sale 6 months ago.

Another potential problem with DVD is that it would likely be connected to a TV as well which *may* cause RF breakthrough if you have cable. I had a severe case of this due to poor earthing of the cable screen :bawling:

Dave / had CD and DVD player !

Maybe this is a good reason for someone to buy a cd723/753 player!

Hi Audio tweakers,

gpapag and I (AF), want to start a new thread about tweaking the PHILIPS CD-723/753 CD-Player's.

I'll try to dig-up the schematic within a few days and hope that I'll be able to buy a scanner in this weekend so we all will know what we can do, and how we can do the modifications to this great and cheap CD-Player.

Best Regards,

Audiofanatic!;) ,

Audiofanatic said:
Maybe this is a good reason for someone to buy a cd723/753 player!

Hi Audio tweakers,

gpapag and I (AF), want to start a new thread about tweaking the PHILIPS CD-723/753 CD-Player's.

I'll try to dig-up the schematic within a few days and hope that I'll be able to buy a scanner in this weekend so we all will know what we can do, and how we can do the modifications to this great and cheap CD-Player.

Best Regards,

Audiofanatic!;) ,

there's already a french site www.723.fr.st about this
there are certainly also english ones!

I recently replaced my old cd player with a dvd player.. I first tried the sony 755 which plays sacds and costs about $240 usd. It was a much brighter and more detailed player than my old player, and it was very smooth.. but I did not really enjoy listening to it. Though it might sound better in another system. I replaced it with the philips 963sa which cost me $390 usd. It was a major step up.. I like it very much, and would highly recommend it. I'm not sure how much the philips 763 is, but I think it might be worth auditioning.

I understand it this way. If it is professional so i dont know. I think it is the drive that moves (transports" the CD. If frontload it transports CD in and out, and it rotates it and moves the head (s) around to read data. But i´m sorry i have no source confirm this.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Originally posted by Bricolo
"there's already a french site www.723.fr.st about this
there are certainly also english ones!"
============================================
Bricolo
Thank you for the info.
Unfortunately i can not read French! If you come across an English or German language site about CD 723, send the address. Meanwhile we will try to dig the thing in the new thread that Audiofanatic started.
Regards
George

gpapag said:
Originally posted by Bricolo
"there's already a french site www.723.fr.st about this
there are certainly also english ones!"
============================================
Bricolo
Thank you for the info.
Unfortunately i can not read French! If you come across an English or German language site about CD 723, send the address. Meanwhile we will try to dig the thing in the new thread that Audiofanatic started.
Regards
George
I'll tell you if I find one

but the french site doesn't tell so interesting things
they only have done basic tweaks:

changing the output op amp (to an AD825 (too bad they haven't tested a 8620)
isolating the transformer, with soft plastic
disconnecting the headphone output
placing an AC filter
changing some caps

Attachments

• i-1_b.jpg
    i-1_b.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 676
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.