Looking for a good CD player

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Choice of CD-player

Hi Bricolo,
I was the proud owner of a a Sony CDP-X33 ES. 12 Years back when I bought it it was a expensive player. Unmodified it sounds horrible I think. It does everything wrong you hear about digital sound: fatiguing, harsh, lack of solid bass, lack of imaging,
Lately I only used it as a transport with of course my clock installed with my KWAK-DAC. (CS8412-Asynchronous Reclocker-TDA1543).
Now the Sony died painfull death and I acquired a flimsy all plastic affair Philips CD380.
Can you imagine my astonishment that the sound of this cheap player is better than my old tweaked combination?
And I even did not fit yet a new clock in the Philips....
So I suspect the Philips chipset and/or laser has something special.:bawling: :idea:
I remembered some qoute in a old magazine that the Philips swingarm transport gives a very clean eyepattern. [Eyepattern is the bunch of sinuses that comes of the CD-disc read electronics. Everbody thinks it is a digital signal composed of zero's and ones but that is further upstream in the player] The reason Madrigal used the Philips transport in there CDP-1 to 3 line.
So now I am looking for a Philips CD-player, preferentially with remote control. I don't know if my post eases your choice but I can imagine your
l' embarras du choix:confused:

cowanrg said:

maybe you have to face the fact that the player you want isnt going to be under $300? you want too much for what you want to pay. if there was a TRUE audiophile player for under $300, wouldnt everyone have one?

I never said I wanted a true audiophile CD player
I "just" want something nice in my pricerange

A cheap one (under 300) that can be tweaked to sound great, would be perfect :)

OK, on the cheap we bought some really inexpensive Apex units off the NET for under $100 USD, put in soft recovery rectifiers and Panasonic HF caps in the power-supply. Coupling caps, were changed to Wima stacked film.

For the dollars and time spent it was a real bargain. High end audio, well no. But it was musical and certainly better than any $300 player we know of. Total cash outlay well under $150.

Kent
Pass Labs
:nod:

Bricolo,

I had a Marantz CD72SE, the CD72 is almost as good as the SE vertion, If you want a player thats good and ready for modifications, this is the one!

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=27784

If you buy it, I'll look for the schematics and post them to you! that'll take a few weeks though!
They are in a box in the garage, one of the 12 boxes.

Audiofanatic

Apex mods

cyclotronguy said:
OK, on the cheap we bought some really inexpensive Apex units off the NET for under $100 USD, put in soft recovery rectifiers and Panasonic HF caps in the power-supply. Coupling caps, were changed to Wima stacked film.

I'd definately be interested in hearing more on this one - I've got one or two apex units sitting around that are not in use I would love to toy with.... any details?

Travis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.