building the TARKUS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i have been to a lumber provider and i have checked out materials. i will finally use 19mm MDF, and veneer it.

i have prepared a cut sheet for them.. since their saws are computer controlled its going to be very cheap to get most of the pieces cut to size.. still a lot of minor sawing and cutting to do for me so i wont get bored..

i simplified the bracing and various other things. im getting a lot more work in real life and i will not have as much sparetime as estimated. anyway - the design itself still will look more or less the same.

changed the port location to have a 90º angle to the cabinet, since having the vent in the stand mean i would ahve needed to cut a big slot with exact angle, and this can be done by hand but it will be time consuming so i selected to avoid it.

the stands that are leaning the speakers will be done last, they will be detachable.

attachment.php

anyway - i might make more changes..

Attachments

• newtarkus.jpg
    newtarkus.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 998
Using rods (broomsticks!) or strips of plywood on opposite walls is even more simple than the labour you'll end up with when picking the suggested braces. And I wouldn't bother to create a tuneable slot. Most if not all reflex constructions I have established ended up within 5% of the targeted resonance frequency, just by calculating by hand or using the software available on the net. And 5% is far more accurate than the tuning in your listening room will require.

good points. i wonder if you are commenting on the earlier sketches or the last one?

i already decided skipping the tuning part - this is why in the sketch above there is no parts to extend the vent.

the braces in the first sketches were too time consuming to build by hand (only the measuring and drawing would take weeks...), so to save time i have updated the bracing to something more normal and faster to make :)

attachment.php

the boxes were faster to build than i thought. i wont cut out the holes for the speakers until i have received them..

i have also built a 16 unit rack for the gear for the soundsystem.

the coming week i will order the woofers etc + crossover components and eggcrate foam, polyfill and everything else...

thanks all who have helped this far with tips :D i owe you guys a beer!

Attachments

• speakers1.jpg
    speakers1.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 965
unfortunatelly it seems the german company (strassacker) i ordered most of the stuff from, cant deliver untill beginning of july. its rediculous... on their web page it said all items i selected were in stock. even so they first wanted my payment. now unless i can get them to either send me only the gear they have right now and the rest later, or to return part of the money so i can look for whats missing elsewhere.

audio kit (italy) has already sent the items by courier, and im expecting to get it beginning of next week... but unfortunately i only ordered coils and resistors from them so i will be unable to even start on the crossover at the moment.

its kind of annoying since right now im not working and i have nothing else to do, and i planned to do the build now. if i dont find a solution to this im in for a really boring month :( im kind of bummed. the boxes are ready for the next step waiting on my workbenches and i guess they will continue to wait for a while more.

have fun all

the world of online ordering = place order then wait, then maybe wait some more.
yesterday I wanted to place an order on a deal I saw on a web page, so I ring up the "internet middleman service" and was told he cant place the order over the phone, I must use the web page and of course you have to enter the CC # to complete "the process".
I hope 'Europe Audio' is not on yer shopping list of internet middleman, there is a thread with much teeth gnashing somewhere here.

the problem I have is some of these on-line web sites are based on pure fiction. AND then the ordering process is automated > it even sends out e-mails saying your order has shipped. It's all done on a computer so no one has to take responsibly for lies and deceit.

Last edited:
no man i did read about europe audio and i definitely didnt even consider ordering there :) i have ordered before from Strassacker in germany and i think they are legit.

the italian company i selected since they also had some fame for being legit and trustworthy.

i hope everything gets sorted out as soon as possible. i really do not feel like waiting, so i hope its possible to cancel part of the order if necessary.

i will see the coming days.

ok finally i have to say the issue has been solved. they will send me the items they have in stock now (pretty much everything) and send me later the missing items. the missing items are spade connectors. almost ridiculous they would make me wait one month for something this irrelevant. also i have to say they didnt even contact me to sort it out until i wrote an email saying i wanted to cancel the order...

but if everything goes as planned i will be able to continue with the build soon.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.