building the TARKUS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i finished painting / varnishing the speakers.. i used acrylic based products so the curing time will be fairly long. luckilly we live in a hot area, so i think more or less this coming weekend, the enclosures will be ready to move. specially the bigger boxes (the tarkus bass, and my isobaric subwoofers.) need more curing time since they are heavier and more force is used to lift them.. i dont want to ruin the surface :D

once the speakers are ready and all connected up, i will give them a rub with polishing wax..

during the week i will start doing the last work on the top/mid enclosures (drill holes for connectors and fill them with poly) and finish the crossovers.

this far everything has taken about twice the amount of time i expected, but its all good.. the last coming weeks will be hard, but i bet it will be more than worth the long wait/build stage..

the crossover is almost done. i need to get a few more connectors before i can wrap it up.

the wooden pieces are dry fitted, i have not glued anything yet - first i will finish it, make sure it works, and then ill glue it up :) but still all the joints are so snug i have to make sure not to push the holders to the bottom, to make sure i can pull them out when needed. i used oak and mahogany mostly and beech and bamboo for the joints. i will also put a bit of heat resistant glue under the components when i glue the holders to make sure they stay as i want them to...

this is not ready yet, i still have a few more things to do...

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• xo2.jpg
    xo2.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 950
  • xo1.jpg
    xo1.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 927
ive been doing the interiors (foam on the walls + cabling) of the tarkus bass speaker during the weekend, and i also finished the top/mid boxes entirely. im waiting for a few connectors i need to finish the crossovers, and im almost good to go..

i think before this weekend is done, i probably have finsihed the rack furniture too.

darn they are huge.. pics soon

thanks! :)

the back hatch is simply hold in place with 8 screws and i used adam hall gasket tape to seal it. i made the hatch so i could add a bit of length to the port internally if needed, and to be able to reach the bottom of the enclosure when covering the inside with foam :D

at start i will use my 31 band equalizers for tuning the sound to the room, but im not excluding the possibility to tweak the cross-over. i am also planning to buy a calibrated measurement microphone to use with a real time frequency analyzer on my pc.

since i really dont have much clue about tweaking the crossover - i will get back about that when its time, with my measurements etc :D

to be honest i am really looking forward to try them :) i really dont have that much more details (the tarkus are finished, but my gear rack is not) to sort out so it should not take long.

i am just about to finish my isobaric subwoofers for my homecinema, and i only need to do finishing touches on the rack furniture, and im ready to start mounting amps and gear..

Last edited:
thanks guys!

i have already started mounting gear in the rack (this afternoon) and i actually finished the mounting too (this evening heh)..

my rack design has a small flaw or maybe its a feature(?) but it was VERY dificult to drill the holes for the screws for mounting the rack components. i should have planned ahead and pre-drilled the holes before glue up... there is still a few details for decorative purposes i plan to add later on..

tomorrow i will start hooking up the cables, and hopefully after the weekend i have the crossovers completely finished, and also by this time i hope to have finished the preparations of the compartment where the crossovers go.

lets start with the presentation of the finished speakers :D

first the crossover with its last minute changes to the layout of the connectors. i think like this it looks cleaner.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

a view of the finished top/mid box with cross-over compartment. for fun i added a warm white led strip to the top of the compartment, and the on/off switch is for this. also my gf gilded the interior of the compartment (its her profession) for fun.

the wood on the top of the boxes has been waxed and polished using traditional methods (scraping knives, hand planers, steel wool and old fashioned beeswax/linnen-seed/turpentine mix.

continuing...

and continuing....

there's more...

the last 30 or so are following.. mostly details of woodwork and such.

i sleeved a bunch of the shorter cables :D... and more...

a few more..

platform with wheels. very dark stain - sorry if it doesnt show much!

the last few..

the review for the sound;
simply put its amazing! i cant find any problems in the sound this far. i will continue with subjective listening for a while more until i can get hold of a calibrated mic for testing purposes for a cheap price.

im very happy with the results! i think it sounds better than my KRK studio monitors!

if ill try to describe the sound (and compare subjectivelly to my KRK) i would say; (early thoughts... only 24h since i finished the build)

its very revealing and crisp. it made me hear for the first time the recording flaws on some led zeppelin tracks in the remasters 2CD.

as always when i play old reggae tracks on my monitors, here also the same happens; the very bad old recordings really sound worse the better the sound system/speakers are. here it was even more evident than on my KRK monitors.

also it should be known when Paul writes he designed these for electric guitars in mind, it is evident - guitars sound tremendously good on these! but so does any music that is well recorded i tried this far! :)

i will give more reviews later on when i listened more :D

this coming week i will start building my home cinema room (its where the speakers are) and soon enough i will try them for movie use!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.