5th Annual Vancouver Island diyFEST 2008

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
planet10 said:

Not that... smoked anything makes me gag...

dave

folks, that's a bit disingenuous - I've seen Dave quite smoked - and no gagging

but seriously, he's not the only one who doesn't care for fish cooked this way - indeed it might be hard to believe, but some folks aren't big fans of salmon (or oysters / lobster etc) no matter how well prepared or presented.

TerryO said:
the cedar plank needs to be soaked in water at least overnight prior to being used. When the Salmon is placed on the plank, the smoke from the charring Cedar is allowed to add to and combine with the flavor of the Salmon and whatever "marinate sauce" you decide to use.

Yes, did it that way for years. At one time, I thought that was the cat's meow.

chrisb said:
some folks aren't big fans of salmon

And many have been converted once they put away their childhood fish disasters (stuffed with lemon, wrapped in foil and put on the BBQ to die) and actually tried it. My favourite story involves a guy who "don't eat no ****ing fish" but mysteriously showed up for a second piece. (leaving a big grin on the cook's face)

planet10 said:
I heard a rumour that a significant portion of an Alberta cow might try to make it...

Leadbelly's coming? Allright!

Aengus said:
Surely if you explained it was for DIYAudio she'd gladly change the wedding plans...

:D Now that made me laugh!

Aengus said:

Surely if you explained it was for DIYAudio she'd gladly change the wedding plans...

after seeing pictures from the last few events as the mountain, permanently, methinks - with grateful thanks for the lifestyle narrowly escaped :smash:

Cal Weldon said:

And many have been converted once they put away their childhood fish disasters (stuffed with lemon, wrapped in foil and put on the BBQ to die) and actually tried it. My favourite story involves a guy who "don't eat no ****ing fish" but mysteriously showed up for a second piece. (leaving a big grin on the cook's face)

With all due respect to any chefs attending and displaying their prowess at the spice rack and grille, I have 2 sisters who certainly qualify as gourmet cooks. In over 35 yrs of their best work at family BBQ's, as well as the occasional dinner at some of the better hash houses in town, I have yet to enjoy salmon of any variety enough to go back for more. Fortunately there's usually a good selection of salads and starches to satisfy any unfulfilled appetite. Of course, it takes much less to top me up than some .....

However, unlike those who've yet to hear your favorite audio tweak that can't possibly work (or be explained in scientific terms), I'm always open to the opportunity to be surprised.

now, where's that elkburger?

Maybe I'll actually come this year. ...that "Bass List" (DIY speakers) get-together I went to in Seattle was a lot of fun.

It might be fun to play some of Tom Danley's demo recordings through the DIY Contrabass.

And, maybe I'll bring some of that excess vintage gear I really need to find loving homes for. And for the sheer lack of craftsmanship of it, the first real power amp I ever built....

My wife is trying to find a job. She has applied at a few places and will apply at more when we get there. It looks like we are selling out house here at a good profit, so we will supplement her income with that for a while.

We had a baby recently so I plan to stay home for a year with her. After that I am unsure. I would like to maybe get into baking or butchering, maybe become a chef. I am just sick of the corporate bull **** I deal with now and would like a job were I am not sitting on my *** all day.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
davidallancole said:
]My wife is trying to find a job. She has applied at a few places and will apply at more when we get there. It looks like we are selling out house here at a good profit, so we will supplement her income with that for a while.

We had a baby recently so I plan to stay home for a year with her. After that I am unsure. I would like to maybe get into baking or butchering, maybe become a chef. I am just sick of the corporate bull **** I deal with now and would like a job were I am not sitting on my *** all day.

Victoria is a good place to work resturants... there are a large number of them... what kid of work is your wife looking for (if i may ask)?

dave

She is looking for call center type of work. She has worked at a few different places over the years doing that work, but has a lot of experience at Staples. She has applied for a Retail Manager position with Staples in Victoria. She has some management experience from a past job to go along with product knowledge there. The problem with the call centers is we are having a hard time finding out what call center type of jobs there are in Victoria.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
davidallancole said:
]She is looking for call center type of work. She has worked at a few different places over the years doing that work, but has a lot of experience at Staples. She has applied for a Retail Manager position with Staples in Victoria. She has some management experience from a past job to go along with product knowledge there. The problem with the call centers is we are having a hard time finding out what call center type of jobs there are in Victoria.

One of the 2 staples is "just down the street" from here. The only call centre that i know about is just closing its doors (West). I'm not sure of any others but they would easily fall under my radar.

The unemployment rate in Victoria is very low, and i know a lot of jobs go asking... service industry & construction being 2 that stand out...

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.