5th Annual Vancouver Island diyFEST 2008

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sorry Cal,

Well it sounded good on paper!

Ahhh I get it now... So what you're really trying to say is Michael needs step brothers. Notice, that is plural!

I moved out at 18 (no choice) and have stayed over at my parent's/mom's house twice (as in 1 night each, once in 1982 and once in 2005) since then. I will be 48 in June!

I know what you mean!

BTW, who else can we approach about adopting adult children? LOL

I wish Vancouver Island was closer.

Regards//Keith

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
chrisb said:
but come to think of it, there is another fine Maui export that would make a welcome addition to the BBQ

Yes - a quite famous export - makes everything taste and sound better. :D

- think you could get some fresh pineapples through Customs?

Oh, Pineapples! That's what you want. Well, I can always try. There are certified pineapples for export here. Don't know if that's just for the US mainland, tho. I can ask. Gotta be plenty of Canadians trying to smuggle pineapples back from Maui.

Hey Cal, your parents are leaving here April 3rd? By that time I'll be in -- Canada. The Francophone part. Going to the FSI in Montreal.

Cal Weldon said:
I have been practicing my fish cooking as of late. A little salt, pepper, oil and a really hot grill. Nothing more.

Mmm...

No foil, lemons in the belly or any of that other stuff. That way of cooking seems to ruin the awesome experience salmon can be.

If it's Salmon, then it should (must?) be BBQ'd on a cedar plank. I tend to like an Italian salad dressing as a basting medium. However, I'm content to let Cal choose whatever his delicate sense of taste dictates.

Best Regards,
TerryO

horribly off topic I know...

...but I BBQ'ed some salmon last night and it was to die for! Even the kids loved it which is saying a lot.

Just a 30min marinade in lemon juice, white wine, a little soy, salt, pepper, fresh rosemary and a drizzle of olive oil.

Throw it on a red hot mesquite barbie until it falls apart (still raw/red-pink in the middle)

mmmm mmmmm mmmmm mmmm mmmmmmmmm.

Now if I could get that same response from my speakers!!!

P.S. Now that CA and OR coast salmon fishing is banned where in the world can one get good fresh salmon???

TerryO said:
If it's Salmon, then it should (must?) be BBQ'd on a cedar plank.

Yes, I have had good success with that in the past but I am unable to get that nice grilled flavour to it. I find that is well suited to a fillet with a glaze or topping where you don't really want the thing hanging out on the grill for fear of damage and lack of presentation.

Iain McNeill said:
...but I BBQ'ed some salmon last night and it was to die for! Even the kids loved it which is saying a lot.

Yes, it's amazing how people react to properly cooked fish. Even the youngin's.

Just a 30min marinade in lemon juice, white wine, a little soy, salt, pepper, fresh rosemary and a drizzle of olive oil. [/B]

Sound like an excellent marinade, much along the lines of what I have done in the past. Now try and get the same reaction with only salt and pepper. (hint: it works)

Throw it on a red hot mesquite barbie until it falls apart (still raw/red-pink in the middle) [/B]

Red hot is very important. Takes only a few minutes.

Mmm...

Cal Weldon said:

Yes, I have had good success with that in the past but I am unable to get that nice grilled flavour to it. I find that is well suited to a fillet with a glaze or topping where you don't really want the thing hanging out on the grill for fear of damage and lack of presentation.

Cal,
Remember that the cedar plank needs to be soaked in water at least overnight prior to being used. When the Salmon is placed on the plank, the smoke from the charring Cedar is allowed to add to and combine with the flavor of the Salmon and whatever "marinate sauce" you decide to use. I should add if it's not obvious that the lid of the BBQ needs to be closed in order for the cedar smoke to do it's work.
As I indicated before, an Italian Salad Dressing (spicy variety) used as a marinate and basting medium will create some of the best tasting Salmon that can be eaten by mortals.

Remember: No Norwegian would ever lie about fish, as it would violate not only his "Inner Viking," but it could cause genetic damage as well.

Best Regards,
Terry "Uff da" Olson

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.