5th Annual Vancouver Island diyFEST 2008

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Cal Weldon said:
I'll do my best. Now that they are a 3 way, I've seem to rely more on the big boxes to give the bass a boost. Ah what the heck, yoos guys are used to 4.5" drivers, they'll be fine. What amp are we gonna try? I remember something about a 1 watter I had in my bedroom for a couple months. Something about a flea?

Yea i think a couple or 3 fleas might work well, hopefully we'll have our own DCX2496 by then and whip up a quick XO.

dave

Interestingly enough, we (my family) were planning a summer vacation to see friends on Vancouver Island. I could mebbe smuggle a system up in the back of the Subaru.

Is the event kid friendly at all? i.e. they won't be interested in our toys for more than 10mins and will want to run around with the animals and other kids outside. Or should I find something else for them to do?

I'd love to come and see what's happening up Seattle/VI way, you guys talk about some neat gear.

Iain, it would be great to have you up for the event. I'm just a big kid and they haven't stopped me yet. ;)

planet10 said:
hopefully we'll have our own DCX2496 by then and whip up a quick XO.

Ya, let's just throw away that silly notch filter and L-pad it took me a couple of months to get right because I'd had used an off the shelf XO to start. Sometimes you just make too much sense. ;) We'll start with what I've done and then the fun's up to you guys.

Let's hope the weather cooperates, not only for the ride over with the open truck but I hear I'm cooking some fish. Rainy fish doesn't taste as good as sunny fish.

:xfingers:

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Iain McNeill said:
Is the event kid friendly at all? i.e. they won't be interested in our toys for more than 10mins and will want to run around with the animals and other kids outside. Or should I find something else for them to do?

Kids showed up for part of the Fest last year, they are welcome. The animals are a dozen cats and Muffin the dog that thinks she is a cat. Lots of places to go for a walk, we are just south of a many hectare park, just north of a trail to another, and on 4 acres of our own.

There are horses down the road, and deer are quite common.

There is a waterpark, & mini golf down the road, and just in general, Victoria is a big tourist destination.

dave

Duo said:
I used to operate the transmission line I have on one of the big amps to the extent that the outside wall would vibrate so much that the power meter attached to it would screw up.

The disc would bind up against the edges of the faceplate and get stuck. That was always fun.

are you sure you're not Nikolai's long lost grandson?

Duo said:
I will have to show my tesla-ness once I get all my tesla-like goodies up here from Alberni.

How about the 14,400V line potential transformers (I like four in series for 57,600V at whatever current they do, around half an amp I think.

I think there are some other scary goodies hiding in there too.

electrical / electronic genius, aye laddie - but your geographics need some work - we are down-island from PA

however y'all decide to demo your scary stuff, don't let both Scottie and Cal in the room at the same time (at least not without SCBA and halon extinguishers :hot: )

BTW ask Dave to check from which direction the Fire hazard sign is legible

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.