5th Annual Vancouver Island diyFEST 2008

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Iain McNeill said:
This isn't sounding very kid friendly any more.

I'd better pack an asbestos suit and my portable Faraday cage.
:eek: :D

I guess you missed the pictures of Scottie and Cal at last year's event with a roofer's tiger-torch trying to ignite or fracture a slab of granite, (IIRC, with a beverage in hand?)

boys will be boys, and what would a get together of adolescent males of all generations be without some sillyness, (check out Ed Schilling's fireworks shenanigans at his annual fest) but "careful with that torch(sic), Eugene" - the closest fire hall is more than a few minutes away

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Duo said:
What's the current limit on your X-ray machine?

I can stick series pairs of mercury vapor rectifiers on mine to make a V-doubler at near 30kW power output. (115.2kV)
Ah, mine's a fraction of this (though the X-ray tube I have can handle 300 mA at 150 kV for short periods, I wouldn't dare something that crazy). But you'd need some pretty big capacitors for your doubler.
For rectifiers, I use these oil cooled tubes, but I have no idea what current they can handle.

Cal Weldon said:
I've heard of "mine's bigger than yours" but you guys are just being silly.
He showed his first!

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Iain McNeill said:
This isn't sounding very kid friendly any more.

I'd better pack an asbestos suit and my portable Faraday cage.
:eek: :D

I think Ruth will take a dim view of these antics... the tiger torch guys got a bit of a hide ripping for that stunt... (in a forest in the middle of the fire danger season -- and Scottie works for the Forestry dept) Only good clean safe fun this year

dave

planet10 said:

I think Ruth will take a dim view of these antics... the tiger torch guys got a bit of a hide ripping for that stunt... (in a forest in the middle of the fire danger season -- and Scottie works for the Forestry dept) Only good clean safe fun this year

dave

You forgot to mention your truck leaking gasoline all over nearby too :clown:

Good grief, last year we killed off a few guardian angels methinks :angel:

Now you guys are scaring me.

I present audiophile types to my wife as gentle and intelligent worthy of higher thought and philosophy.
If the truth was known ;) she would never allow another build in my house.
I am trying again to make it this year as long as other health and home owner stuff issue are done on schedule.

Hmm I should trim my apple trees today. I still have snow on the ground not like those Island people.

I am looking forward to hanging with you audio types

Guy

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
planet10 said:
hopefully we'll have our own DCX2496 by then and whip up a quick XO.

Well, I suppose that if I crash the party - I could bring mine. Handy-Dandy device, n'est pas?

BTW, is there beer in up there in Canadaland, or should I bring that, too?

Just think - I leave Maui to get away from the damn Canadians and where do I go.....?

panomaniac said:

Well, I suppose that if I crash the party - I could bring mine. Handy-Dandy device, n'est pas?

We've managed to borrow one (DCX2496) for the time being; yes it's certainly handy for quickly dialing in XO parameters. (although Dave reports it's not as transparent as he'd like)

BTW, is there beer in up there in Canadaland, or should I bring that, too?

real beer, yes - we have that up here - although by mid August, we might actually need a fridge to keep it cool, the igloos usually melt by late July (on the coast at least)

but come to think of it, there is another fine Maui export that would make a welcome addition to the BBQ - think you could get some fresh pineapples through Customs?

Of course, Dave would want to advise you that some Island residents don't consider themselves part of the dominion of Canadaland.

Just think - I leave Maui to get away from the damn Canadians and where do I go.....?

Think of Vancouver Island as another Pacific rain forest, without (quite so ) many non-english speaking tourists.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.