• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Shanti Dual LPS 5V/3A , 5V/1.5A

Joined 2003
Paid Member
@absolutk, also the output Ultracaps on each Shanti output rail are 5.4V units as I remember. @cdsgames will correct me if I'm wrong. So you'd also have to change them out for 7V.

One caution is that you CAN adjust many if not all Shanti to a voltage above that 5.4V. SO be careful if you play with the voltage settings!

Greg in Mississippi

Hmm it seems that the dropouts audio glitches actually could be a kernel bug according to these open issues in rpi github: USB DAC dropouts/glitches * Issue #2215 * raspberrypi/linux * GitHub

USB audio suddendly has dropouts with 4.19.66 * Issue #3204 * raspberrypi/linux * GitHub

how do i downgrade to Kernel 4.14 i want to check if this maybe fixes my issue.

See post #844, and then read for a couple pages or so
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendor-s-bazaar/337859-shanti-dual-lps-5v-3a-5v-1-5a-85.html#post5952302

The latest version of dietpi for the sig is built on that older kernel.

For some reason, I still had clicks even with the older kernel until I accidentally figured out that changing the clock setting helped.

Randy

See post #844, and then read for a couple pages or so
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendor-s-bazaar/337859-shanti-dual-lps-5v-3a-5v-1-5a-85.html#post5952302

The latest version of dietpi for the sig is built on that older kernel.

For some reason, I still had clicks even with the older kernel until I accidentally figured out that changing the clock setting helped.

Randy
ohh just saw that, I thought the subfolder in the allo server was a beta build or something.

Thank you, Greg.

I think you are right about the supercaps. I think the single, stubby ones used on board the Katana/Boss are rated 5.2V, while industry standard is 2.7V used to make 5.4V, so 7V would be out of the question.

@absolutk, also the output Ultracaps on each Shanti output rail are 5.4V units as I remember. @cdsgames will correct me if I'm wrong. So you'd also have to change them out for 7V.

One caution is that you CAN adjust many if not all Shanti to a voltage above that 5.4V. SO be careful if you play with the voltage settings!

Greg in Mississippi

Hi Nanekiu

Your DAC appears as native DSD , but your clicks and pops are not from USB interface since you get them on all inputs . In fact , its your DAC firmware that seems to generate them . My best guess is that depending on timing of data and driver (firmware) of DAC , you will get them or not.

Unfortunately the only way to fully solve those is to talk to your DAC manufacturer

Changing kernels , speeds of CPU might give you a better compatibility , but its like flying in the dark , not knowing what you will get .

Hi Nanekiu

Your DAC appears as native DSD , but your clicks and pops are not from USB interface since you get them on all inputs . In fact , its your DAC firmware that seems to generate them . My best guess is that depending on timing of data and driver (firmware) of DAC , you will get them or not.

Unfortunately the only way to fully solve those is to talk to your DAC manufacturer

Changing kernels , speeds of CPU might give you a better compatibility , but its like flying in the dark , not knowing what you will get .
It doesn't seem like a DAC firmware issue though as no one else has reported problems with this DAC model.
I think you maybe misunderstood me a little when I said the same thing happens when used via xspdif2, I meant when usbridge Sig was connected to xspdif2 that the glitches still happen, direct connection via pc to either dac, or xspdif2 is fine.

There's one guy on audiophile style forum that also reported getting small clicks with his RME ADI-2 so it seems it's not just limited to ESS DACs.

It doesn't seem like a DAC firmware issue though as no one else has reported problems with this DAC model.
I think you maybe misunderstood me a little when I said the same thing happens when used via xspdif2, I meant when usbridge Sig was connected to xspdif2 that the glitches still happen, direct connection via pc to either dac, or xspdif2 is fine.

There's one guy on audiophile style forum that also reported getting small clicks with his RME ADI-2 so it seems it's not just limited to ESS DACs.

Hi Nanekiu

The fact that glitches happen on both USBridge Sig--DAC and USbridge Sig--Spidif transcoding --DAC , point to the fact that issue is not on USB but on the DAC itself. (driver most likely )

Please also note that ROON support says this abut Matrix Pro : " Our hypothesis is that this is a bug in the USB chipset of the X-SABRE Pro. We’ve received similar reports from other users of Matrix Audio products, including the Element line."
source.

Matrix Audio X-SABRE Pro MQA via USB. Problems playing DSD, MQA and 176 files - Support - Roon Labs Community

The fact that DAC works correctly connected to a PC (windows) shows they implemented correctly the diver for that OS.

We will release details next week.

Looking forward to it:)....this projected started a long time ago, you can follow it in the 'Best 5V SMPS?' thread.....

"26th June 2017, 01:58 PM #9
cdsgames Canada
diyAudio Member

Practically , I think that first you need to chose the design of the smps. In my opinion , the best candidate for a 5v (audiophile) solution will be the quasi resonant fly back. You will have less EMIs then any other solution.

Of course then you need to solve the ripple/noise/impedance ."

USBridge Sig - bypassing USB-C power port

Hi cdsgames
If I wish to bypass the USB-C power port in the USBridge Sig, and attach a DC cable directly instead, can I simply solder to the +/- pads on the pcb immediately to the right of the USB-C receptacle? See attached pic.

Would it improve anything to add a good capacitor to the empty cap slot?

Denis

Attachments

• USBridge pcb @ power port 2.jpg
    USBridge pcb @ power port 2.jpg
    362.9 KB · Views: 394