• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Shanti Dual LPS 5V/3A , 5V/1.5A

For the past few days, I have gone on Allo's website and tried to order the Katana DAC. Every time I try to add it to the cart it states "Sorry, this product is not available at this time!" I emailed their support to ask them when the product would be available, and I got no response for the past few days. Can anyone here give me an update?

Hi cdsgames
If I wish to bypass the USB-C power port in the USBridge Sig, and attach a DC cable directly instead, can I simply solder to the +/- pads on the pcb immediately to the right of the USB-C receptacle? See attached pic.

Would it improve anything to add a good capacitor to the empty cap slot?

Denis

Yes you can (wire direct) and I do not think that a capacitor will help..we have plenty of capacitance on board.

For the past few days, I have gone on Allo's website and tried to order the Katana DAC. Every time I try to add it to the cart it states "Sorry, this product is not available at this time!" I emailed their support to ask them when the product would be available, and I got no response for the past few days. Can anyone here give me an update?

Please contact www.fabtolab.com. They may have it.

Production of Katana is very slow and will likely have issues for a while...Please find them at our distri that might have stock

Katana availability.

Production of Katana is very slow and will likely have issues for a while...Please find them at our distri that might have stock

I got this message in response to my request for a Katana on the Allo website following recent unavailability...

"We are still working to find better solution for Katana.
The process has been very challenging.
At this point, my honest advice would be to look for another device.
We are also working on new DAC “revolution” but it will take sometime to be released."

Will Allo be producing Katana any more?? What other device do Allo recommend as replacement.?

John

Hi

Katana is very difficult to manufacture . We are keeping some stocks to service present customers but overall we are moving on to a new generation of DAC.

I think that Revolution with 1 (good) PSU is better than Katana with 2 PSU , but less than Katana with 2x 5V + dual 15V

First pics of Rev with screen.

Attachments

• Revfirstpics.pdf
    399.6 KB · Views: 299
Last edited:
Hello Cdsgames,

I admit that the last information you gave about Katana is really disturbing as you announced the end of its production.
When I bought Katana then Shanti and finally Usbbridge, I was not expecting such news...
Revolution was not even considered and now you presents it as a much better solution, but if its commercial life is also planned not to last very long...
Best regards,

Hello pkdick

as I said , Katana is a very difficult product to make . We will fully suport Katana in the future and even make small qtys for some of our distri .

Now in regards to the SQ of Katana vs Rev . understand that Katana on a USBridge Sig sounds rather very good. I am not sure whats best , Katans with 2 PSUs + USbridge Sig (i2s) or Rev + Usbridge Sig (USB)...they are very close .

Revolution was made to be easy to use , one PSU , no class A opamps ,

Katana is rather more diy , harder to use , more heat , class A opamps discreete , mutliple PSUs

I think you have nothing to worry , your Katana is very good, no need for Rev Dac,

so objectively revolution is better than katana

Yes, if you will be using it for test and measurement purposes.

If the intended use is for music playback enjoyment, then Katana with all the power supplies will probably sound best (2x5v and +-15v and film caps on the +-15v rails).

Why? For one thing, there may be more than one possible design solution for making measurements look better, but not all of the possible solutions may sound equally good. That alone is telling. It should come as no surprise that good measurements don't exactly predict good sound quality.

However, audio devices with good sound quality generally tend to measure pretty well. In other words, the statistical correlation between measurements and sound quality is high, but something less than 100%.

All the above is IMHO, of course.

Last edited:
IIUC, one thing in favor of Revolution is that it supports high sample rate DSD, something that Katana can't do.

With very high quality software upsampling to DSD512, Sabre dacs usually sound much better than with 16/44 PCM. The issue there is that 'very high quality' upsampling to DSD512 requires a very powerful (i.e. top of the line) i7 or i9 class PC, and also use of paid software.
In other words, it can be costly to build a music system relying on software upsampling to DSD256 or DSD512.

Last edited:
Yes, if you will be using it for test and measurement purposes.

If the intended use is for music playback enjoyment, then Katana with all the power supplies will probably sound best (2x5v and +-15v and film caps on the +-15v rails).

Why? For one thing, there may be more than one possible design solution for making measurements look better, but not all of the possible solutions may sound equally good. That alone is telling. It should come as no surprise that good measurements don't exactly predict good sound quality.

However, audio devices with good sound quality generally tend to measure pretty well. In other words, the statistical correlation between measurements and sound quality is high, but something less than 100%.

All the above is IMHO, of course.

Katana 1.2 with proper provision for 3 external pus's , 2x5V and +- 15V . Also a relay for power to the opamps to extend their life in place of the on/off pwr switch

I agree with Mark in that the Katana appears to support more options that will allow it to sound better.
But from a marketing point of view, all those options make the Katana confusing to non technical end users. I expect that if you can get close to the same performance from a more plug and play solution in the Revolution, they will sell a lot more dacs. That seems to be the conclusion that Allo came to also.

Wondering if Allo is sending prototype Revolutions out to a select group of potential customers, like they did with the Katana?