Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Hi-end DSP based multi-channel integrated Preamp/Crossover/DAC project
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th November 2015, 08:07 AM   #481
Ultralight is offline Ultralight  United States
diyAudio Member

Following thread.
Old 10th November 2015, 08:17 AM   #482
Snickers-is is offline Snickers-is  Norway
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Snickers-is
I find it rather concerning that ESS is discontinuing products that are as young as that, without offering replacements.
Old 10th November 2015, 08:23 AM   #483
Tranquility Bass is offline Tranquility Bass  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snickers-is View Post
I find it rather concerning that ESS is discontinuing products that are as young as that, without offering replacements.
In fairness to ESS they do say they are going for new silicon which should be a drop in replacement for the existing chip but it just won't be available for a while

cheers
Old 10th November 2015, 09:28 AM   #484
diyAudio Member

Yes, but that should have been in place in time before they discontinued the previous line. What if you had your product finished, and that was your main income? Suddenly, you have to start over since a supplier choses not to offer some of the components you are depending on. You should really think about that now.
Old 10th November 2015, 11:36 AM   #485
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Yes, but that should have been in place in time before they discontinued the previous line. What if you had your product finished, and that was your main income? Suddenly, you have to start over since a supplier choses not to offer some of the components you are depending on. You should really think about that now.
Yes I know where you are coming from and I may have to consider using another vendors ADC as part of a contingency plan in case the replacement doesn't eventuate

cheers

Last edited by Tranquility Bass; 10th November 2015 at 11:38 AM.
Old 10th November 2015, 12:04 PM   #486
diyAudio Member

I am not sure I would be too confident about the DAC availability either.
Old 10th November 2015, 11:25 PM   #487
Nonlinear is offline Nonlinear  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I am not sure I would be too confident about the DAC availability either.
I think it's a completely different situation for the DAC compared to the ADC. The ES9018 Sabre DAC is nearly an industry standard and is used in too many high-profile products to even count. It's not going away anytime soon without a stream of new reference DAC's in the pipeline; it's a cash cow for ESS and they're not going to screw that up.

Entirely different for the ES9112 ADC; it doesn't have the usage volume that the 9018 DAC has, so they likely have had the new version in the works and planned the phase-in of the new chip well in advance. Likely they had an issue with the tape-out of the new silicon and require a final tweak, but likely already ramped down production of the existing ADC and can't jump back into the queue without stealing production volume from the high-demand DAC parts.

I have no specific knowledge of the situation, but I've seen this scenario on many occasions over the years during silicon transitions.
Old 11th November 2015, 12:06 AM   #488
Nonlinear is offline Nonlinear  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquility Bass View Post
Bad news regarding the Sabre ES9102 ADC. No stock available anywhere so I can't test it Seems that the first run of boards will be earmarked for people who only want digital inputs.
Shaw Electronics is the major ESS distributor in US from what I understand and it looks like they have the 9112 and 9102 available, they mention to contact bryans@shawelectronics.com for international orders. Could be worth a try.
Old 11th November 2015, 03:08 AM   #489
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonlinear View Post
Shaw Electronics is the major ESS distributor in US from what I understand and it looks like they have the 9112 and 9102 available, they mention to contact bryans@shawelectronics.com for international orders. Could be worth a try.
My contact in the US tried to order directly from them and they have no stock. Also they have taken those two parts off their website.

cheers
Old 13th November 2015, 04:33 AM   #490
Tromperie is offline Tromperie  Australia
diyAudio Member

I am really looking forward to this being available.

Hi-end DSP based multi-channel integrated Preamp/Crossover/DAC projectHide this!Advertise here!