• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KHz

Not *exactly*... I'm sorry, but this is false. If you just think a little about the time scales between jitter and a struck drum or a plucked string - or even an imagined small tiny bell creating one little "pling" of one half of a 22kHz sinus, you will realise this. I sorry if this shatters your world but it is, a fact. How you can confuse a clock edge with an aural, i.e. a by listening possible to detect "timing" error - this makes me think you don't understand how PCM really works.

Re-creating the positive envelope of say a 5 kHz tone occupies 4,4 sampels - all these samples has to be moved in time so that a timing error can be perceived. Digest that. Ponder it. Be an engineer!

I help you some more.... the absolut shortest sound event that the earbrain can detect is maybe a micro second. I'll give this some security margin, call you, and raise you a 1000 times -> 1ns. So, 1 nano second. Now, for the timing faults (there are none... but I will imagine one for the discussion...) you seem to think of is in the region of pico second - which is 1000 shorter than whats detectable (with a safety margin of yet an other 1000) which you will call a very poor clock.

What really happens is that 5 kHz the envelope gets cooked because on samle comes in late or early... hence, distorsion - if you gaze at that envelope in the "10 nano second per div setting", you will see that it is "in time".

//

Not exactly.
The jitter is undoubtedly a timing error since the clock edges move, i.e. the distance between one cycle and the other is different instead of being constant.
The same in the phase noise perspective, since we are in the frequency domain the error is detected at zero crossing (phase).
In both perpectives the reference is time so they are timing errors.

To measure the timing error as distorsion you need an instrument with a time base much more accurate than the time you would measure.
You cannot translate in distorsion 1 ps timing error if the time base accuracy of the gear is 1 ns.
In that case the FFT will not show any distorsion because the audio sample is shifted by 1 ps but the gear can detect only an order of magnitude higher. (1 ns).

I don't know if such that gear exists, definitely not the dScope III used to measure the jitter attenuation since its time base is very poor (see the specs).

Finally it is better that you do not venture into neuroscience issues, we understand that in the audio field you are smarter than John Curl, but neuro science is something else.

Talking without trying. audible from first listening. Just try it, it´s not so expensive, maybe less than time of chats here :):)
Yesterday, I opened this clock - Accusilicon AS 318 :), interesting!

Attachments

• ACCUSILICON AS318-B-451584.jpeg
    ACCUSILICON AS318-B-451584.jpeg
    200 KB · Views: 314
Last edited:
Its quite true the very small phase noise errors can have audible effects in dacs, particularly so for Sigma Delta architectures. The effects have nothing whatsoever to do with humans directly hearing anything on a femtosecond time scale.

Also, according to some studies the smallest time differential humans can detect is somewhere in the low nanosecond range, and it has nothing to do with greater than 20kHz frequency detection.

Some reading material for anyone interested:
https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fnins.2014.00034/full
https://people.engr.tamu.edu/spalermo/docs/clock_jitter_effects_delta_sigma_modulators_saad_2012.pdf
Sigma-Delta ADC Clocking—More Than Jitter | Analog Devices
https://www.jneurosci.org/content/31/10/3821

Last edited:
Not *exactly*... I'm sorry, but this is false. If you just think a little about the time scales between jitter and a struck drum or a plucked string - or even an imagined small tiny bell creating one little "pling" of one half of a 22kHz sinus, you will realise this. I sorry if this shatters your world but it is, a fact. How you can confuse a clock edge with an aural, i.e. a by listening possible to detect "timing" error - this makes me think you don't understand how PCM really works.

Re-creating the positive envelope of say a 5 kHz tone occupies 4,4 sampels - all these samples has to be moved in time so that a timing error can be perceived. Digest that. Ponder it. Be an engineer!

I help you some more.... the absolut shortest sound event that the earbrain can detect is maybe a micro second. I'll give this some security margin, call you, and raise you a 1000 times -> 1ns. So, 1 nano second. Now, for the timing faults (there are none... but I will imagine one for the discussion...) you seem to think of is in the region of pico second - which is 1000 shorter than whats detectable (with a safety margin of yet an other 1000) which you will call a very poor clock.

What really happens is that 5 kHz the envelope gets cooked because on samle comes in late or early... hence, distorsion - if you gaze at that envelope in the "10 nano second per div setting", you will see that it is "in time".

//

This was an excellent post worthy of #10000 ;) ;)

Also, according to some studies the smallest time differential humans can detect is somewhere in the low nanosecond range, and it has nothing to do with frequency response.

What study was that, exactly..?

Talking without trying. audible from first listening. Just try it, it´s not so expensive, maybe less than time of chats here :):)
Yesterday, I opened this clock - Accusilicon AS 318 :), interesting!

Talking without trying is the typical behavior of those who can only write "+1" without the minimal skill to understand what they are talking about.
They continues claiming without trying.

I well know it's clearly audible because I have tried several times with different devices, but obviously it is easier to post nonsense than to use the soldering iron and try.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Not exactly.
The jitter is undoubtedly a timing error since the clock edges move, ...snip.

Of course the clock has a time error - that's the definition of jitter. But I, and You, was talking about how it effect the analog side - don't shift the cards around....

... and on the analog side, there is no timing error.

Please, don't replay again that "the clock has a timing error...", it will not make you look particular.... engaged, for a better word :)

//

Of course the clock has a time error - that's the definition of jitter. But I, and You, was talking about how it effect the analog side - don't shift the cards around....

... and on the analog side, there is no timing error.

Please, don't replay again that "the clock has a timing error...", it will not make you look particular.... engaged, for a better word :)

//

I have already replied in post #10002 about the analog side.

I don't own a suitable gear to measure the jitter effect as distortion and also I'm not interested to get one.

But maybe I haven't written it enough: just try and evaluate the difference.
Is it so difficult to understand?
Or just is difficult to take the soldering iron and trying?

You don't need the instrument, your ears are enough.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I have done my experiments.

I just challenge you on that there is no timing errors that a human (anaimal or not) can detect. Only distorsion and noise.

Does it matter to you why you hear a difference?

The answer in #10002 shows you are confused of what is going on and that you are completely stuck on timing.

//

Last edited:
On the analog side there can be a timing error. It can be heard as a widening of the L/R stereo illusion image location of a virtual point source of sound.

Indeed when the audio samples are processed by the DAC with an incorrect timing this affects the perceiving of the space although each samples is free of THD.

To my taste the DAM1021 is an excellent example of space distortion compared to live music.

I have done my experiments.

I just challenge you on that there is no timing errors that a human (anaimal or not) can detect. Only distorsion and noise.

Does it matter to you why you hear a difference?

The answer in #10002 shows you are confused of what is going on and that you are completely stuck on timing.

//

No, you are very confused.

Can you understand that timing errors cause audio samples to shift away from the ideal time they should be processed?
If not I give up.

If so, can you understand that you cannot detect that as distortion if the instrument you are using has a time base accuracy far worse than the timing error you would measure?

And since you have done your experiments please let us know your results (and also what kind of experiments).
Have you heard any difference?

Do you have a source for this statement?

Not aware of published perceptual research on that. Possible to demonstrate though. Should be measurable since in the analog domain the perception of L/R location is related to phase stability between channels. You already mentioned how angle changes with timing. If the timing is between channels is noisy then the angle must be blurred across space.