• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KHz

I second this. Mine Shipped to Canada is simply ridiculous for a little tiny box that weighs <1lb. Don't forget that $53USD is like $80CAD now. I didn't mind paying the $40 in tax or whatnot at the door, but forced UPS shipping is terrible. Please allow USPS insured to Canada...

Soekris ApS dam1021-02

151021021 $235.00 $235.00
Subtotal $235.00
Shipping & Handling $53.60

Grand Total (Excl.Tax)$288.60
Tax $0.00
Grand Total (Incl.Tax)
$288.60

This is just sad... we're back to b***hing about shipping and handling after 2,000 posts rather than focus on details of future firmware updates (discussion about DSD implementation that was just mentioned for example)

I paid the high-end for shipping and handling along with the taxes as well... but factoring the total cost (i.e. transformer + usb interface to get up and running), do tell me what other R2R (just R2R will do... no need for discrete) DACs come close! to the total sum [and I'm certain those don't have the flexibility to load custom filters]. I'd gladly buy one... so thanks for the recommendation!

Last edited:
The problem is that afaik, there is no standard how to transfer native DSD over I2S, while DoP is a documented standard.

Hi Soren,

I agree that there isn't a standard, yet... but it seems the majority of the players have sort of gone in a similar way based on the implementation of how to transfer DSD data to the ESS9018.

Glt's site has a good summary of the majority of the solutions here: https://hifiduino.wordpress.com/2012/11/22/pcm-i2s-and-dsd-on-the-same-wires/

In general, almost all of the interfaces use the LRCLK/FSCLK for left data and DATA for right data... For the two interfaces that don't? Only one of them still around (WaveIO) doesn't follow that. The EXA2UI also doesn't follow, but they don't sell them anymore - and even if they did... DSD only works with their own proprietary software player (I own one).

Would it be possible to "loosely" follow the majority of the implementations for DSD Native support? I think the appeal is with DSD rates above DSD128 (DoP limit) with PC-based users.

This is just sad... we're back to b***hing about shipping and handling after 2,000 posts rather than focus on details of future firmware updates (discussion about DSD implementation that was just mentioned for example)

But the Amanero only cost $9 to ship... transformer was free shipping, and the input boards from normundss even less.

Anyhow everyone knows that UPS is an absolute nightmare for costs to Canada from the US, just wishing there were an alternative option.

But the Amanero only cost $9 to ship... transformer was free shipping, and the input boards from normundss even less.

Anyhow everyone knows that UPS is an absolute nightmare for costs to Canada from the US, just wishing there were an alternative option.

Basically, what I'm suggesting is that you factor in the shipping cost into the cost of purchasing this DAC (or if you want... subtract whatever you think shipping should cost and tag it onto the cost of the DAC module). Even with that and all the other things you need (transformers... chassis... arduino...usb interface...spdif connectors...etc)... I don't see anything else with the words R2R that is close. If there is, I'm asking for the recommendation cause I would gladly buy one.

I don't want to seem to be defending Soren on this, but it is quite common for different retailers to not want to deal with other postage methods. Even with insurance, there is a wait time (and additional resources) for the business which may result in cash-flow problems, especially for small businesses - I'm almost certain most buyers (especially the ones who tend to complain) will want to wait for the insurance to pay out (right?)

In your case, you don't even have taxes to account for. If you're in the EU you have VAT... for me I have my local government taxes.

We have chosen UPS for now, based on what best and easiest for us, they ship everywhere. There are some areas not served very often and therefore are more expensive, like for Cypress UPS only offer express air service, not the cheaper expedited service. Be happy if you live on a nice sunny island and accept that it often add cost.

Using a selection of different postal services and shippers would increased our time spend, and therefore the cost of all boards, resulting in same or higher total cost. We have looked at using postal service, but shipping outside of EU really add paperwork....

We could also have increased the prices of all board and then offered free shipping, but I personally prefer to charge actual costs.

You can also try to contact the online shop directly, they might be able to figure out an individual solution. Or go together with others, often the shipping cost is the same for one and ten boards.

End of shipping discussion.

Hi Soren,

I agree that there isn't a standard, yet... but it seems the majority of the players have sort of gone in a similar way based on the implementation of how to transfer DSD data to the ESS9018.

Glt's site has a good summary of the majority of the solutions here: https://hifiduino.wordpress.com/2012/11/22/pcm-i2s-and-dsd-on-the-same-wires/

In general, almost all of the interfaces use the LRCLK/FSCLK for left data and DATA for right data... For the two interfaces that don't? Only one of them still around (WaveIO) doesn't follow that. The EXA2UI also doesn't follow, but they don't sell them anymore - and even if they did... DSD only works with their own proprietary software player (I own one).

Would it be possible to "loosely" follow the majority of the implementations for DSD Native support? I think the appeal is with DSD rates above DSD128 (DoP limit) with PC-based users.

Yes, since my post long time ago I have actually looked more at native DSD, and the ESS9018 type interface should be easy to implement. But as usual it's more design and testing work....

Anyway, it would never be native DSD as I would have to convert to PCM, just like most delta sigma multibit DAC's need to convert to their internal multibit formats....

I don't want to seem to be defending Soren on this,

This is precisely what you are doing. Has he not heard of Post Offices in Danmark?

If you want a decent DAC, and I have more than six high end ones, you don't have to pay over the odds just because of the R2R label. For many, it is just another product to try out.

To buy a high end dac from the US or from Europe, the cost is less than $60 to most places. And even then this is higher than most in Europe.

I bought a 130kg Scaffold Tower from the UK, air shipped by TNT for £130 to Cyprus .

This is precisely what you are doing. Has he not heard of Post Offices in Danmark?

If you want a decent DAC, and I have more than six high end ones, you don't have to pay over the odds just because of the R2R label. For many, it is just another product to try out.

To buy a high end dac from the US or from Europe, the cost is less than $60 to most places. And even then this is higher than most in Europe.

I bought a 130kg Scaffold Tower from the UK, air shipped by TNT for £130 to Cyprus .

Okay. You're not interested in the product anymore (? confused cause you're continuing to discuss it here) and I'd like to discuss more things related to the technical implementation of the DAM1021. So my final response to you and we can agree to disagree on whatever you want to disagree with :p.

Right now, you haven't responded to my questions and you're just pulling selective quotes out of my whole response. I'm responding to you because I still respect you as an individual.

If it was not already clear in my original replies.

I'm saying this:

• Definition of a transaction: is for both parties to agree with the conditions/arrangement. So if that's what Soekris is willing to commit to, that is the conditions for the deal to take place. You similarly have a right not to buy (which is what you're doing - congrats for being decisive). And if you agreed to prices and now complaining ... what? You were sleepwalking when pressing the buy button?
  • Picture yourself doing a task... if you had to do more, do you not expect to be paid more, or someone else hired for that role? If that happens where do you think the money should come from? Angel's/Devil's cut?
  • I'm buying this to try the R2R architecture and I'm pretty certain most here are, too. The TEAC you suggested is also a far cry from this... let alone the Mytek (ESS9016) or other DIY ESS9018 builds
  • Also... for someone who can afford six high-end DACs... this discussion is just bonkers. (Send me one please :D ... I'll pay UPS shipping)

You can also try to contact the online shop directly, they might be able to figure out an individual solution. Or go together with others, often the shipping cost is the same for one and ten boards.

End of shipping discussion.

Søren gave some good advice here.

I promise you. Once the board has arrived and you got sound and you start fiddling with filters - the bad "shipping cost" thoughts are gone.

Anyone care to describe the difference between the DAM and an ESS 9018 based (I know, it purely depends of the implementation). I'm having an ESS9018 singing.

(Sorry Søren. Need to justify buying another piece of hardware :D)

At least I don't have to think about shipping :)
i compared it to a gustard x10, a ess9018 based dac. The dam is sounding more natural, less plastic, if you can imagine what I mean. Better bass and more beautiful
treble, simply better. Even with the buffered outs, but more so with straight r2r output.

Yes, since my post long time ago I have actually looked more at native DSD, and the ESS9018 type interface should be easy to implement. But as usual it's more design and testing work....

Anyway, it would never be native DSD as I would have to convert to PCM, just like most delta sigma multibit DAC's need to convert to their internal multibit formats....

Thanks Soren! I can't help with the design (don't have the know-how), but will gladly help with the testing if/when needed! :)

Gustard?

i compared it to a gustard x10, a ess9018 based dac. The dam is sounding more natural, less plastic, if you can imagine what I mean. Better bass and more beautiful
treble, simply better. Even with the buffered outs, but more so with straight r2r output.

This is hardly a comparison. The Gustard is a so so dac.

My reservations. Apart from the add-on delivery price compared to the Twisted Pear offerings and something like the W4S DSDSe (I have both), I don't want a board which does not support DSD native, has channels reversed, and has not been tested to 384k. I don't want to have to flash with unfamiliar tools either to update firmware.