• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KHz

Disabled Account
Joined 2005
I also follow up the posts from Paul: 1683 and 1684

but still no respond after +++

I am start to looking for old PC some where! :)

The screen shot of ZTerm is showing junk in response. This is wrong!!!!
The text must be related to input, sampling rate and volume and should not be garbled.

Junk characters show the DAC is responding, but the encoding is wrong.
In the connection setup double check:

Flow control options are all off.
Double check:
Data Bits: 8
Parity: None
Stop Bits: 1

cheers
Paul

Last edited:
But this is, I presume, also coming from the DAC (marked with red)

If so the RX/TX cannot be wrong connected.

Attachments

• cut.jpg
    cut.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 590
@soekris Any idea when we can have firmware enabled access the isolated TTL serial lines? I'm wanting to be able to use an Ardiuno's TTL pins to update a 16x2 LCD display in my chassis with the current input/sample rate status. Right now it looks like I'm forced to use the RS232 non-isolated to obtain this information, and needlessly having to convert it to TTL levels.

As Zterm works perfectly for me, I feel sorry for you and in tying to help I' going to ask a very basic and silly question: did you open Zterm first and switch on the Dac after?

Thanks for sharing! I did open Zterm first and switch on DAC. Is it wrong? I did switch on DAC first and Zterm later, still no respond after +++

The screen shot of ZTerm is showing junk in response. This is wrong!!!!
The text must be related to input, sampling rate and volume and should not be garbled.

Junk characters show the DAC is responding, but the encoding is wrong.
In the connection setup double check:

Flow control options are all off.
Double check:
Data Bits: 8
Parity: None
Stop Bits: 1

cheers
Paul

Thanks Paul, I already double double check already :):), and more:
- transfer convert: Binary Data
- transfer option/Send protocol is XModem-1k, receive is XModem
- Modem Preferences: all blank, Dial timeout:15

Verify your baud rate, should be 115200.

Yes, it is 115200! Double check :)

Can you kindly post a picture of your USB-RS232 converter? A common PL2303HX supports both TTL and RS232 voltages, depending on how the board is wired. Most of these cheap USB to serial adaptors that come with a bare set of pin headers including a 4th power wire are intended to be used with Arduino's, Rasberry Pi's, etc and only support TTL levels.

Of course this wouldn't be a problem if the TTL RX/TX ISO headers were enabled.

Last edited:
But this is, I presume, also coming from the DAC (marked with red)

If so the RX/TX cannot be wrong connected.

No, It just profile name from Zterm software

The junk text usualy means that your USB to serial adapter is not a real RS-232 adapter. It is probably outputting 0-5V instead of the "real" RS-232 levels. You should try some other adapter or an old PC with a real serial port.

I just tried with my old laptop run winXP, not luck.

Looking for a PC with real RS232 seem very hard now! :)

Last edited:
Can you kindly post a picture of your USB-RS232 converter? A common PL2303HX supports both TTL and RS232 voltages, depending on how the board is wired. Most of these cheap USB to serial adaptors that come with a bare set of pin headers including a 4th power wire are intended to be used with Arduino's, Rasberry Pi's, etc and only support TTL levels.

Of course this wouldn't be a problem if the TTL RX/TX ISO headers were enabled.

Sure! And yes it have 4th wire for Vcc but I not use it. I bought this one from USB to RS232 TTL UART PL2303HX Auto Converter USB to com Cable Adapter Module | eBay

I also able to check the exact name of chipset is PL-2303XA/HXA

update: spike, you are very right, this adapter support TTL (information from product page). Do you have any suggest on another brand name? Thanks!

update 2: this should work, I assume :): http://www.ebay.com/itm/FT232RL-USB...45?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item1c3a754981 this allow us to change between TTL level to CMOS level or even any level if we could set a level target. Just the matter if this work on mac or not?

Attachments

• $(KGrHqFHJB8FGs6L6sEQBR)ubcC28!~~60_12-2.JPG
    $(KGrHqFHJB8FGs6L6sEQBR)ubcC28!~~60_12-2.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 732
Last edited:
Sure! And yes it have 4th wire for Vcc but I not use it. I bought this one from USB to RS232 TTL UART PL2303HX Auto Converter USB to com Cable Adapter Module | eBay

I also able to check the exact name of chipset is PL-2303XA/HXA

update: spike, you are very right, this adapter support TTL (information from product page). Do you have any suggest on another brand name? Thanks!

Any of the adaptors that have a standard 10 pin male RS232 port should work, such as: USB TO RS232 Serial Port 9 PIN DB9 Cable Serial COM Port Adapter Convertor Blue | eBay

Could also get away with using a TTL to RS232 converter as well. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/10Pcs-Serial...278?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c3fc3e5ee

hi all, i want to build my first dac, and i want to capire if that dac ladder has a good sound, but i dont want read entire treadh and i want to apologize for this. is there someone that can tell me about the sound of this dac. thanks very much.

Best regard
Emilio

Good. Better than my gustard x10 ess9018 dac, whatever that means. More detailed and cleaner, even though it has more harmonic distortion. The ability to load different filters is great, since.the basic sound of the dac seems to be pretty much there. Imho

I am having trouble setting up Volumio i2s out on Rpi2. There is no support on the volumio site and the DAM isn't an option in the dropdown i2s settings. The "generic" setting doesn't connect. My wires are connected to the DAM properly and I am at a dead end searching forums, can anyone here lend a hand?

Have u tried a Rpi a/b ? Rpi 2 is 2 new. Just my two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk