• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Cronus - It's about time.

I'm sure this has already been answered but I've read > 100 pages tonight preparing to build so I'm just going to ask:) I purchased and built B3SE several years ago. After attending RMAF and hearing B3SE/Cronus/Hermes/BBB combo, I was convinced that I needed to upgrade my source side. My current running setup is B3SE/IVY with Placid HD and Placid HD BP power supply. I've now purchased BBB, Hermes and Cronus and I'm trying to determine power supply requirements. Can Placid HD handle B3SE/Cronus if I add a separate 5V/1.5A supply for Hermes/BBB? I'm running a little tight on chassis space so looking for as small of a supply as I can make work... Suggestions?

jf4828, I'm a happy owner of a BBB/Cronus/Hermes system, but feeding into a different ES9018 product than the Buffalo3. Since no one else has offered an answer, I will jump in -

Can Placid HD handle B3SE/Cronus ...
I recall that Russ said the Cronus may draw up to 150mA, which is a modest addition to your existing load - but being a shunt regulator, the Placid HD will need to be adjusted to accommodate this additional load, and maintain a comfortable level of shunt current.

... if I add a separate 5V/1.5A supply for Hermes/BBB?
Yes, the BBB (+ dirty side of the Hermes) must always have a separate power supply. Some, like me, have invested in a high quality 5V linear supply, and others say that the standard wall-wart SMPS is good enough.
You might consider a good compromise to be a well filtered quality SMPS, such as the iFi iPower.

Last edited:
jf4828, I'm a happy owner of a BBB/Cronus/Hermes system, but feeding into a different ES9018 product than the Buffalo3. Since no one else has offered an answer, I will jump in -

I recall that Russ said the Cronus may draw up to 150mA, which is a modest addition to your existing load - but being a shunt regulator, the Placid HD will need to be adjusted to accommodate this additional load, and maintain a comfortable level of shunt current.

Yes, the BBB (+ dirty side of the Hermes) must always have a separate power supply. Some, like me, have invested in a high quality 5V linear supply, and others say that the standard wall-wart SMPS is good enough.
You might consider a good compromise to be a well filtered quality SMPS, such as the iFi iPower.

Thanks for the info! Perfect timing too as I just finished everything except assembly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joined 2007
Paid Member
I'm running a little tight on chassis space so looking for as small of a supply as I can make work... Suggestions?

I always try to optimize chassis space too. While usually not a problem, I have heard effects of heat in my B3 setup, though I use Legato rather than Ivy. So, this is just to encourage you to lay out components with air circulation and exchange in mind. Enjoy! :)

While usually not a problem, I have heard effects of heat in my B3 setup, though I use Legato rather than Ivy.

So my chassis was a good size before Cronus, Hermes and BBB:). I'll have to move it to a larger chassis later as I've used up all my hobby hours (2 little ones in the house still). A good filtered outboard smps will have to do till I find more time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have at the end of last year received Cronus/Hermes/Amanero set. But he didn't work correctly - was similar that on Amanero the clock with cronus didn't arrive.

I have ordered the second set for check and I have received it recently. It has become clear that all XO working, other plates too workers, but the plate of Cronus simply doesn't work. In the second set of Cronus works, but there is a problem with him. In one channel there is a continuous high-frequency garbage (on an oscilloscope) which doesn't depend the signal on an exit is given or not. Directly with Amanero Ok signal.

I put a photo both versions of Cronus. In the first set the version was 1.2, in the second version 1.3 has come. I would like to send you back not working Cronus plate - as to make it? Also check, it is similar in version 1.3 the circuitry mistake causing high-frequency garbage in one channel.

Attachments

• 111f04f0-98a8-4aa5-a94e-594c3db011a9.jpg
    111f04f0-98a8-4aa5-a94e-594c3db011a9.jpg
    413.5 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:
I have at the end of last year received Cronus/Hermes/Amanero set. But he didn't work correctly - was similar that on Amanero the clock with cronus didn't arrive.

I have ordered the second set for check and I have received it recently. It has become clear that all XO working, other plates too workers, but the plate of Cronus simply doesn't work. In the second set of Cronus works, but there is a problem with him. In one channel there is a continuous high-frequency garbage (on an oscilloscope) which doesn't depend the signal on an exit is given or not. Directly with Amanero Ok signal.

I put a photo both versions of Cronus. In the first set the version was 1.2, in the second version 1.3 has come. I would like to send you back not working Cronus plate - as to make it? Also check, it is similar in version 1.3 the circuitry mistake causing high-frequency garbage in one channel.

Sure, I can take a look at it. Send me a PM.

@BrianDonegan
Brian,

Any chances for Hermes-Rpi Isolator Module?
Newest rpi kernel allows for feeding pi with external clocks to generate BLCK. See Hifiberry Digi+ Pro.
Especially Pi Zero could be used since it draws the least amount current and generates the least noise.

Yes. Russ designed one a while ago. Only drawback is no DSD. Hopefully we can get those ordered soon.