• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Bewitch KT88

I completed a bit of testing today, with interesting results.

My "normal" configuration for this amp is 2 x 6SL7GT tubes in the first hole and 2 x 6SN7GT tubes in the second hole. The output tubes are 4 x 6550.

TEST 1: I simply "swapped" the 6SN7GT and 6SL7GT tube positions and had a good listen.
The sound was less good and sounded rather homogenised. Not terrible, just less good and less enjoyable.
What this test did show me though, was that either the 6SN7GT or the 6SL7GT could operate (somewhat) without injury in either hole 1 or hole 2. No too brightly burning tubes, no offensive distortion and no problems. Probably not optimised, but no injury.

TEST 2: I removed the 6SL7GT tubes and installed 6SN7GT tubes in all 4 preamp positions, including two new NOS tubes.
Again, there were no too-brightly burning tubes, no offensive distortion and no problems.
The sound change was quite dramatic. A greater sense of space and detail than any tube configuration I have yet conjured with the BEWITCH. The "sparkle" I have been chasing in the tops seems to have arrived.
But on the downside, dynamics are down, versus my "normal" configuration and there is a bit of unwelcome hardness in the tops. It is not as easy to enjoy the music as my normal configuration, but I feel that this 4 x 6SN7GT configuration holds great promise in terms of extracting a bit more detail from the BEWITCH.

I have left TEST 2 configuration running for the moment, understanding that the new (NOS) tubes may need a bit of time to settle down and make friends.

I suspect that the support circuitry previously optimised for the 6SL7GT tubes now needs to be revised for the 6SN7GT tubes.

I do not have the knowledge or experience to determine the correct values for the resistors in question - R1, R2, R3, R4 and R5.

Also running 4 x 6SN7GT at the front end of his BEWITCH, I see that saltonm73 has simply halved the values of R2, R3, R4 and R5.

On this basis, I will try the same approach - unless others have alternative suggestions.

I look forward to your thoughts.

I have attached below, an updated schematic of how my BEWITCH with 4 x 6SN7GT now exists. Please note that the switched have been removed and the amp ONLY runs in triode.

View attachment 1179200
how about trying 4 x 6sl7's? you got feedback so nothing to worry about,

Reactions: 1 user
Interesting thought, Tony. I will give it a try.

Currently, with 4 x 6SN7, the sound has way too much hardness in the tops, but it is possible that this is just due to one pair of the 6SN7 being brand new (NOS).

With this in mind, I will also revert to the "normal" configuration (2 x 6SL7 / 2 x 6SN7) using the new tubes in the 6SN7 position. If the hardness in the tops prevails, this will tell me if it the hardness problem is down to the new tubes - or the configuration.

I will try the 4 x 6SL7 experiment thereafter.

My gut tells me that the current 4 x 6SN7 configuration is not getting a fair chance presently, hampered by the (now) wrong resistor values in R2, R3, R4 and R5.

Heading back to the main topic of this thread: the awesome BEWITCH 6550 tube amp from China...

I have spent the last few years trying to improve this amp - with good success.

I saw the interesting posts by saltonm73 and posted some questions about his mods a few posts ago. But it seems saltonm73 has quit this forum - no reply to my questions and no finding him in membership.

So, I would like to ask other learned members here...
(I have included the schematic provided by saltonm73 and circled the areas of interest...)

Why add a .68uF capacitor between C3/4 and C5? What does it do and how does it impact the sound of the amp?

Why add a 1Meg resistor across the volume potentiometer? Is this simply an attempt to gain more usable adjustment of the pot?

Why run the 6SN7 in the first tube position - instead of the (original) 6SL7? I fear that this will mess with the overall amplifier Gain and NFB structure.

View attachment 1179011

I look forward to all expert thoughts. Appreciated.
i can not see why the cathode degeneration resistors at first hole is 1.2k, even 100 ohms is big enough imo..why degrade tube transconductance of a tube not known to have high gm to begin with...?

highs are affected when not enough drive current is available form the driver tube to swing the grid of the 6550,
so increasing the current to say 10ma from 5ma will double the current available to swing the grid with its grid cap and stray caps at high frequencies...

but then thing go messy quickly as the 6sn7 will have lost plate voltage in this way, perhaps the 10k dropping resistor is changed to 1k, and voltage drop at this point is 10 volts instead of 50 volts previously...

just thinking out loud.....

I completed a bit more testing today, with interesting results.

Again, my "normal" configuration for this amp is 2 x 6SL7GT tubes in the first hole and 2 x 6SN7GT tubes in the second hole. The output tubes are 4 x 6550.

TEST 3: I simply ran 6SL7GT tubes in all 4 preamp positions and had a good listen.
The sound was quite good with good levels of detail, but again sounded rather homogenised. Dynamics were also squashed - which surprised me. When volume increased, bass became a bit unwieldly and unrealistic. So, not terrible sound, just less good and less enjoyable than the normal configuration.

So, after three different tests, to my ears the "normal" BEWITCH configuration sounds best - by far. It is probably not surprising given that the BEWITCH circuitry remains optimised for this configuration.

Can I get better sound by reconfiguring the first tube circuitry for 6SN7? Truthfully, I do not know. Given that I am not totally convinced of the best particular values for those ten resistors that control tube hole 1, I feel it would be nothing more than a gamble for me to try it.

Given also that in the early days - documented earlier in this thread - I completed three different listening tests with three different NFB values (each reducing NFB) and found that the "factory" value still sounded best - I will hold-off on further NFB value testing.

My next step is to retube the amp completely and record live test values at each important circuit juncture - much like saltonm73 has already done with his configuration schematic. Once those values are recorded on my schematic, I will report back and ask for comments and feedback.

After all, as one wag inferred earlier in this thread, "discussing circuit design where there are no measurement given values, is utterly pointless..."

I have now learned enough to agree with him.

As an interesting aside to the above, I have had quite a time finding affordable 6550 tubes - even here in China.

I had hoped to continue with (NOS) Soviet 6550 tubes as I have found them both sonorous and long-lived. The current Russia/Ukraine conflict has scuttled that idea.

Instead, I have ordered new-make Chinese tubes - and this time, they will be the KT88 variety, which are not identical to 6550, but close enough for it not to matter. Reportedly, BEWITCH transformers have no problem dealing with the slightly higher plate demands of the KT88.

What the KT88 will sound like - compared with my present Soviet NOS 6550 - remains an unknown.

Let's see...

2023-05-31 Shuguang Electron Tube KT88-98.jpg

SHUGUANG Electro Tube KT88-98

A matched quad of KT88 - including hand-delivery to my doorstep within 72-hours - all for $US 90.00. AND including a 1-week right of return, something that I hope will not be necessary.
(China is VERY affordable, for most things...)

Evidently, Shuguang is one of the oldest tube manufacturers in the world and is said to make the lion-share of all new-make vacuum tubes, including other brands.

I shall report!

Yes, it looks like the first stage does a partial phase split which is then finished off by the second stage. Maybe the designer was a fan of circuits which look balanced, but actually are not? Feeding the NFB back into a partial phase splitter raises issues of common-mode distortion too, although the relatively low signal level might avoid too many problems.

Still, at least it doesn't have the apparently obligatory Chinese SRPP stage!
Looks like the designer is a solid state guy. You can get away with small tail resistors since you can drive the gm of a transistor much higher than that of any VT, so the balance can still be good even with such short tails. Seems he forgot that detail here. A hollow state LTP needs a large tail resistor, and preferably an active tail load if you're to have good balance.

This isn't the first time I've seen this.

Reactions: 1 users
I understand that the BEWITCH 6550 circuit is based upon a 1950s design that was granted a French Patent. The designer was one PIERRE LOYEZ.

Attached is his (alleged) original schematic.

TUBE AMPLIFIER and POWER SUPPLY.png

Based upon previous investigations by others, it seems there is far more going on in this circuit than meets the eye... certainly far more than I can understand.

For anyone wanting to follow the rabbit-hole, here is a previous discussion on this forum.
Understanding the complexities of the BEWITCH 6550 circuit...

Tony,

If I decide to try the current 4 x 6SN7 configuration with with zero NFB, can I simply lift one leg of the NFB resistor to break the circuit?

Or do I need to remove the resistor completely and then bypass it with a jumper, in order to maintain the circuit?

(Still learning…)

yes, although lifting the wire from the speaker terminal jacks seem to be easier...

• Thank You
replying to post #189, indeed, there are a lot of things going on in the feedback department with that circuit, OShade, then cross grid feedback and then global negative feedback, way too much complexity for my taste..
the Mullard 5-20, even the Radford 25 are not so overly complicated and yet delivered the goods as far as i am concerned...
i love the psu part of the below schematic though for its elegance and simplicity...

TUBE AMPLIFIER and POWER SUPPLY.png

My next step is to retube the amp completely and record live test values at each important circuit juncture - much like saltonm73 has already done with his configuration schematic. Once those values are recorded on my schematic, I will report back and ask for comments and feedback.
If you or other readers don't like the circuit variant of the Bewitch 6550 and the Lampizator modification, there are the mods by Andrey Tatukov.
http://checkcfg.narod.ru/audio/tubes/index.htm

• Thank You
I can report that I have had a matched quartet of SHUGUANG ELECTRO TUBE KT88-98 output tubes in play for just over a week.

After initially sounding quite thin and bright, they quickly settled down to deliver really impressive sound in my BEWITCH 6550.

As expected, plate voltage has increased from ~405V with the 6550, to 411V with the KT88. The power transformer (cover) runs hot-to-the-touch, but subsequent inspections of the interior of the amp indicate that everything is happy.

Following some swapping around and experimentation, I have happily returned to the "standard" 6SL7/6SN7 Phase Splitter/Gain Stages, as prescribed by the factory and continue to optimise the circuit - to my ears. I'm extremely happy with the improvements.

Whilst the stock circuit sounded okay, this amp is capable of sublime music quality, with thoughtful tweaks.

My next step is to reduce the present 375-Ohm KT88 (shared) cathode resistor, down to 250-Ohms. This will bring each pair of KT88 bias point from ~45%% of max. dis. to somewhere around 70%.

I will report.

Last edited:
As expected, plate voltage has increased from ~405V with the 6550, to 411V with the KT88. The power transformer (cover) runs hot-to-the-touch, but subsequent inspections of the interior of the amp indicate that everything is happy.

with plate voltage in the 400's vdc, a 6 volt change is nothing, well, if you are not to picky on plate swing, increasing pate voltage can only mean that your tube is drawing lesser plate current...

My next step is to reduce the present 375-Ohm KT88 (shared) cathode resistor, down to 250-Ohms. This will bring each pair of KT88 bias point from ~45%% of max. dis. to somewhere around 70%.

I will report.
will increase cathode currents and lower plate voltages some more...
i use separate cathode resistors for biasing to prevent "current hogging" that can happen with not so good matched tube..

My objective for reducing the value of the (shared) cathode resistor, is to simply listen to how increased bias changes the sound of the amplifier - if at all.

I am not really sure what to expect, but understand that increased bias - WITHOUT over-biasing the tube - tends to create a more linear response, helping reduce distortion.

If the increased bias - from reducing the cathode resistor by 100-Ohms - does NOT change or improve the BEWITCH sound, I will revert to the higher cathode resistor value, in an effort to promote long tube life.

I will report.

As an aside, I am struggling to understand how and why higher tube bias shortens tube life.

Perhaps this is an urban myth?

The tube heaters run at a given voltage (heat), no matter what the bias, so an increased tube bias CANNOT make the tube run any "hotter" can it?

[Please understand that in making these comments, I am EXCLUDING instances where a tube is actually over-biased!]

If I increase the tube bias, so that the tube is running at it a more linear operation point, I would have expected this optimal bias to extend tube life - NOT reduce it.

QUESTION: Will running an output tube at 45% of max. dis. really extend the tube's life? If so, why?

What do others think?

Thanks @TonyTecson.

The site I have been using for biasing simulations is Rob Robinette - Tube Bias Calculator. It's the same sort of bias information but offers a lot more detail and "how to".

But one thing that seems to be tripping me up.

The original factory values of the shared cathode resistor bias the KT88 tubes at 51mV delivering ~42% of max. plate dissipation.
[Shuguang Electron Tube KT88-98 confirmed by factory as 42W max. dissipation...]

I calculated my new shared cathode bias resistor value in the RR simulator above and reduced it from 375R - with a voltage drop of 40V - and with 370V on the plate (measured plate to cathode) to 250R.

Once I had installed the new shared cathode resistor value of 250R - the voltage drop reduced to 35V - with an also reduced new reading of 349V on the plate (measured plate to cathode).

So, these other changing parameters have messed with the results.

With the 250R cathode resistor, the tube bias has increased to ~57mV, but I am nowhere near my 70% of max. plate dissipation target I had hoped for.

I guess I just have to keep trying lower cathode resistor values until the tube bias value reaches the right point, unless there is a fancy calculation that can save me some time and effort.

There is no mention of such a fancy calculation on any of the tube bias sites that I have been reading - so I have more trial and error ahead of me.