The food thread

Cold tofu with jalapeno meat and miso

September in Japan is still hot and humid.
Cheers with a cold beer.

Attachments

• IMG_4855.jpg
    IMG_4855.jpg
    402.6 KB · Views: 39
Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2010
Paid Member
250 years or so for us. Keep up:rolleyes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Montagu,_4th_Earl_of_Sandwich

No family or commercial connections on my behalf, in the ilk of yourself Mr. Brd.

You should come to Basildon, Chester Hall Lane and visit Shell's van and ask for a Mick egg sandwich, white bread with fried eggs and a dash of salt, no butter or marg. Pure and simple, what else do ya need...

I wonder how ethnocentric that is.

Continental Euros have had "sandwiches" for eons... open faced usually. Bruschetta, after all, traces its roots to the Romans. And using bread as a base for meats and olives and fish ( sardines, anchovies ) around the Mediterranean traces its roots to the Romans ( and earlier ).

Bob:
Pulses / Daal...read up, and see what is available in you area.

The same dried grain / seed, for example arhar / toor can be cooked as Gujarati Daal, (with peanuts, jaggery and tamarind, later garnished with fried mustard seeds and green chilies), or as sambar (with a variety of non srarchy vegetables like pumpkin, okra, drum sticks and so on), later garnished with coriander seeds, tamarind, and a variety of spices.

Paratha is a thick roti, stuffed with a variety of cooked and raw stuffings, and shallow fried.
Calcutta has egg parotha, chapati is cooked on one side, and beaten egg poured over it while cooking, then flipped to complete.

There is a Parathe Waali Galli (Paratha Lane) in Chandni Chowk, Delhi, four shops, generations old, selling a variety of the paratha, stuffings can vary with season.
Cauliflower, potatoes, radish, peas, cheese, mix vegetables and so on, more than 20 varieties, the 4 accompaniments are free, you pay from about a dollar each, and those people have branches in other places.

At the corner, there is a milk shop, sweets and buttermilk sold by weight, Carrot Halwa in season.
Rabri, a serving of 100 grams is normal, he weighs it and serves it in a leaf plate.
Buttermilk, 100 or 200 grams in a pot, then adds water, sugar or salt as per your taste, then uses an impeller connected to a flexibles shaft grinder hanging from the roof to stir it....

There was a surge in sales of top loading washing machines to road site food places in Punjab, the sales manger was concerned with this sudden need for cleanliness.
So he sends somebody to investigate.
Turned out they were using them to make lassi (curd and water blended together), 30 liters at a time, the normal serving is 250 ml., and a large glass in Punjab is 500 ml.
These guys were making 30 liter batches, found them very productive....!

Reactions: 1 user
Basically, a lot of soft things can be stuffed into dough, rolled, and cooked.
Mostly the dough is flattened, rolled partly, then stuffed, rolled to cooking size, then (home version), cooked on the tawa, and later oil is added for shallow frying.
Restaurants have a bigger tawa, they put the parotha at the edge, after one side is nearly cooked, it is flipped into the oil pool at the center, and fried on both sides till complete.
The third style in North India, is to deep fry, that needs a lot of hot oil or ghee, not to be attempted at home.

They taste best when hot, 5 minutes out and the taste changes.
So we have many food items that a fast food restaurant manager can learn about, for quick service.
A far cry from burgers and pizza made at factories, frozen, and reheated at the serving place.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Had to look up pulses Bill, still kindly vague but it seems to cover all dried legumes?
To me covers everything that I used to glue down to make pictures when I was a kid and didn't realise was food until decades later :)

I got the list used in this batch. There was Chana dal, urid chilka and mung. Chana is split chickpeas/Garbanzo, mung are the same beans used for bean sprouts but split and husked and urid are the same family as mung but black (and have the husks on). Sometimes we have the same dried beans on the shelf in 3 different forms; whole, split and dehusked.

Wheat is the staple in India, along with coarse millets, and rice.
Rice is the dominant grain in South India, which is about 25% of the population.
If you remember the movie "The Seven Samurai" -- the peasants who have unsuccessfully dealt with bandits offer up precious white rice to the seven for protection, and feed themselves with lowly millet.

Actually, a revision is taking place, millets are far hardier than hybrid wheat and rice, easier to farm.
They need less water, fertilizer and pesticides, and they are more nutricious.
So now farmers are turning their attention back to those 'coarse cereals'.

Regularly consumed at my house:
Whole moong, split moong, husked moong daals. Also a brown moong type daal.
Toor Daal.
Chana Daal, split from a smaller version of Kabuli Chana / garbonzo beans.
Black Urad daal, Husked Urad daal.
Rajma (similar to kidney beans.)
Desi chana, smaller and brown version of garbonzo beans.
Lobia (black eyed peas).

That is a lot of different different items, and like above, sometimes they are mixed together...

If you search for paratha, look for parotta as well, that is the South Indian spelling, and they have some interesting varieties, including layered ones, which are very tasty with spicy curries.

Also, bear in mind that part of the difference comes from the different kinds of flour used (mesh size during milling), and addition of oil / butter / ghee / sour yogurt during kneading.
The basic roti has only salt added, just that and water, and is cooked without letting it rest.
Of course, roti is made from different grain flours, at times they are also mixed together.
And sometimes a tandoor is used for making different varieties.

Look for 'chhole', interesting ways of cooking garbonzo beans, they originally came from Kabul, so are called Kabuli chana here.
Usual method is soak at least 12 hours, then pressure cook 20-30 minutes.
The garnish and eat, roti and other breads are prefereed, rice not so much.

Had about a gallon of extra unfinished wine left in the fridge that wouldn’t fit in the carboys, the mrs. already had her fill when transferring the other day so I decided to make muscadine wine jelly. Got 10 pints, tastes purty dang good! I’d made it before years ago and remembered it was really good…..hopefully it sets OK, it gets a little finicky in pint jars sometimes.

Attachments

• C97C2AA7-6C1D-44AC-BF84-68BB56575FEC.jpeg
    C97C2AA7-6C1D-44AC-BF84-68BB56575FEC.jpeg
    369.9 KB · Views: 36
Bill, take a look at misal pav / sev usal, both are spicy curries made of white dried peas, the pav is dipped into the meat.
Finger food...

Chhole Bhature is chhole with large puri, called bhature (flour has curd added, then rested).
Kulcha is a thin baked bread, also common with chhole.
Nihaari Gosht is a rich breakfast dish, Naan and tandoori roti are normal, the nihaari is usually beef (rarely goat) mince and trotters cooked slowly almost overnight. You dip the bread / whatever in the gravy, and eat the meat with your fingers.

However, to each his / her own, do whatever you are comfortable with.
I eat fresh thick potato chips or appalam with sambar and rice, unusual for chips to be in that cuisine.

Much more to my taste than bland stuff eaten with cutlery.
You eat rice with a spoon? Ever tried it with your fingers, off a banana leaf or normal plate?