The food thread

Mark,

Some sources list the grilled cheese as the most popular. Boy would Ray Kroc have been shocked! But looking around I found amazing claims as to what is popular.

Polling people gives wild results. However looking at consumption, think about how many sandwiches which you have actually eaten. I suspect when you were young you ate quite a few PB&Js. What is clear is burgers and such are first.

(2) grilled cheese sandwich
Quite the difference betwen a slice of what I call "plastic" chesse and some quality gouda or similar cheese.
My wife is converted from plastic slice pacakged cheese. Main reason why people eat it, is because it's cheap.
Cheddar or at leat the stuff they sell around here, is one of my least favourite cheeses.
Maybe some old sharp cheddar, but the mild stuff is like eating rubber curds, tasteless.
Europeans have a love of cheese, more so than on this side of the pond.

A heads up...Cumin prices are 150% up compared to last year, and this year the rain has been below normal, meaning poor quality crop and less harvest volume (in tons).
I live some 200 km south of Unjha, cumin capital of the world.

If you like it, do stock up if so inclined.
No, I do not have any commercial interest in this matter.

'Bombay Sandwich' okay, Interesting they show potato, not native, but either was it here :)
Where is the potato originally from? The potato is native to the Peruvian-Bolivian Andes. It was cultivated in South America by the Incas as early as 1,800 years ago. The Spaniards who colonized South America introduced potatoes into Europe during the second half of the 16th century.
I guess the potato made it as far east as India since the Oriental Asian do not eat it usually, rice is the staple, same as India too

Joined 2010
Paid Member
@Cal Weldon "fallen"? Did I miss something this morning?

Besides...

(1) I type pretty fast.
(2) When I cook, except when stir frying on the wok, there's always a bit of time in between stages. Gotta do this to allow for the wine and IPA.

Attachments

• 20230908_185945.jpg
    20230908_185945.jpg
    418.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 20230908_185033.jpg
    20230908_185033.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 33
Fallen as in earthquake, more than 800 dead so far.

Bombay is famous for its innovative street food, which started with mill workers needing to eat and walk to work, most were single, and lived in multi storeyed barrack type rooms, maybe 10' x 10', with a common toilet.

Look for 'pav bread', I somehow cannot upload images, they are 60 x 60 mm buns cooked together, 12-20 are baked together, and torn off to serve.
Pav bhaji and vada pav are famous for this, mutton and chicken curry are also served in some places, you dip the bread in the curry and feed on the meat with fingers.

The potatoes came with the Portuguese in the 1700s, as did tomatoes, not a new item here.
Also look for 'bunny chow', a South African food, spicy curry poured inside a loaf of unsliced bread, another quick street food.

Wheat is the staple in India, along with coarse millets, and rice.
Rice is the dominant grain in South India, which is about 25% of the population.

The thing is many people commute long distances in Bombay, three hours one way is not abnormal, they want quick service, and handy to eat food.

So Bombay street food has evolved to fulfill this requirement, and the vendors keep coming up with new things, the sandwich is only about 20 years old.

Also look for paani puri and bhel puri which have to be consumed vey fast, seconds for paani puri (also called puchka and gol gappa in diferent parts of the country).

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Oh.. a quake in Morocco. I hadn't heard. Sad to hear that.

You know, people laugh at our method of construction down here in SoCal.. You know... slab, no basement. Wooden stick (frame) walls with stucco on the outside. Mostly one and two stories.

No structural masonry at ALL!

Yet, when we get a 6.9, we mostly sleep through it unless you're on the actual epicenter. It's a shake'n'roll affair and at worst you might have some cracks on the stucco.

Honestly, it amazes me that people live in unreinforced masonry places that were built hundred, even a thousand years ago. But I guess that so long as quakes are infrequent, they are alright. But the second they get a quake, boom! Adios!

Like in Italy's mountain villages.

The Spanish missionaries tried to build like that, in the 1700s. Well, they learned quick enough when the Church in San Juan Capistrano came tumbling down... after that, it was thick adobe walls... THICK. Nothing built with unreinforced masonry lasts longer than 50 years in this State.

All cultures make their own "travelling" food. Sandwiches in Europe, buns everywhere, Mexican burritos, pickled fish, etc. Try the Japanese bento box culture.

In the South West USA we have the Roach Coach Culture. Just be careful with the breakfast burrito though. I once ate one on a friday morning, and the eggs... well, I got food poisoning that kept me on the toilet for the entire weekend.

For dinner tonite I made Szechuan-Style Eggplant, Tofu and ground pork. I took a pound of good quality ground pork and mixed in some Aji-No-Moto (*), soyu and mirin and let it sit for four hours... As usual, stage the cooking: tofu first, then meats, then veggies... at the end mix it all together and add the sauce. It was, if I can be my usual modest, fantastique!

(*) Umami with MSG in a jar... Hawai'i style bruddahs... ;-)

Last edited:
and the vendors keep coming up with new things, the sandwich is only about 20 years old.
250 years or so for us. Keep up:rolleyes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Montagu,_4th_Earl_of_Sandwich

No family or commercial connections on my behalf, in the ilk of yourself Mr. Brd.

You should come to Basildon, Chester Hall Lane and visit Shell's van and ask for a Mick egg sandwich, white bread with fried eggs and a dash of salt, no butter or marg. Pure and simple, what else do ya need...

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Instant pot Daal (other romanisations are available) test 1. Usual secret recipe so all I can tell you is that there are pulses, green beens, onions and tomato in it. Oh and it tastes great. That's for tomorrow. Dinner this evening was paratha stuffed with paneer and cauliflower.

Attachments

• IMG_0095.jpeg
    IMG_0095.jpeg
    377.4 KB · Views: 38
Joined 2010
Paid Member
250 years or so for us. Keep up:rolleyes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Montagu,_4th_Earl_of_Sandwich

No family or commercial connections on my behalf, in the ilk of yourself Mr. Brd.

You should come to Basildon, Chester Hall Lane and visit Shell's van and ask for a Mick egg sandwich, white bread with fried eggs and a dash of salt, no butter or marg. Pure and simple, what else do ya need...

I wonder how ethnocentric that is.

Continental Euros have had "sandwiches" for eons... open faced usually. Bruschetta, after all, traces its roots to the Romans. And using bread as a base for meats and olives and fish ( sardines, anchovies ) around the Mediterranean traces its roots to the Romans ( and earlier ).