The food thread

Here is an average German bakery:

Attachments

• back.jpeg
    back.jpeg
    210.4 KB · Views: 126
The Brochen were fantastic.

Brötchen is what zee germs call it in most part of Germany except around Bavaria and Austria where it's called Semmel.

Have been experimenting with my own DIY sourdough bread, one is supposed to prepare the so called "sourdough starter" during several days, but I just throw my stuff together and let it live on its own for 24 hours, it turns sour and the best part is that lot of nutrition get released due to the enzymatic process taking place under the exposure of moist and warmth, much better for the gut, and in my case due to having some sort of celiac/gluten intolerance am using Teff and Buckwheat + a few other stuff to get the consistency somewhat like typical bread baked on wheat rye barley.

Last edited:
The cabbage was 18C for 10 days. There's enough salt to prevent the surface mold and I just added some juice from beans I did a while ago. We'll see.

64F is a little on the cool side it just takes longer to get working......I’ve never had it take that long to kick though?

Do yo check the PH? If it doesn’t get close to 4.0 within a couple more weeks I wouldn’t use it.

I usually get there around the 3 wk mark or sooner, but that’s @ 68-70F.

Huh, Bill i don’t see hunting declining;but I’ve always lived in back country area’s where hunting and fishing are ways of life. I hunt with kids as young as 9 or 10 on up through teens+ and their intensity and focus is amazing to me considering how most kids are these days.
I go out of my way to support the young ones, giving them extra gear I’ve got laying around and helping them work on their boats (kids here get their first little outboard motor boats at 10-12) hopefully it doesn’t die out!

Well that sucks Cal, might find some local farm cabbage?
I wonder how much of our big grocery store veggies are irradiated?

Last edited:
How about Christmas / holiday tradition foods that you like / like to make?

We went easy THIS year, but we normally make a variety of cookies and roast nuts for our family members.

When I have time, I like to make some Swedish Rye bread or rolls with orange and fennel and some “fairy food” (hard sugar foam chunks dunked in high-Grade Dark chocolate).

When we get together at my mom’s place, we usually boil-up a big batch of Shrimp with some spices, and eat it “peel and eat”, hot. With some good crusty bread, mom’s pickles, and some cold beer. It’s simple, quick and easy to make, and everyone enjoys it.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Bob: The article seemed a little low on fact and TBH I had trouble understanding why the BBC would even be running it. Must have been a slow news day.

Xmas lunch is easy this year as just 5 of us and all veggies. I'm on strike from peeling and preparing until the morning. One pan needs major scrubbing after my onion caramalisation went a tad wrong, but the gravy should still be good :)

Does anyone else have a family cookbook? My mother wrote one in 1972. My father copied the pages and they produced books for each of us kids. It is only 48 half pages long.

I have spent the past 20 years updating it periodically to new recipes from my siblings. I originally made the electronic copy in Penscript (a TI editor) but is now in Word format.

It is now 63 full size pages in PDF form.

I think next Christmas I will have it reproduced in spiral bound format and give copies to all my siblings and descendants as Christmas presents.

Attachments

• 20191225_221839.jpg
    20191225_221839.jpg
    949.9 KB · Views: 93
Last edited: