The food thread

Cabbage is so easy, I don't bother with starter.
I guess I just learned a lesson.

No Scott, I don't keep it. I guess I should, going forward. If you keep it in the fridge at 4C, how long will it last?

Bob, I'm not new at this. :) I only use iodized salt at the end if I wish to halt the fermentation. Those who say it doesn't matter aren't ones I will pay attention to.

Cabbage is so easy, I don't bother with starter.
I guess I just learned a lesson.

No Scott, I don't keep it. I guess I should, going forward. If you keep it in the fridge at 4C, how long will it last?

Bob, I'm not new at this. :) I only use iodized salt at the end if I wish to halt the fermentation. Those who say it doesn't matter aren't ones I will pay attention to.

I have a friend with a sourdough that is going on 50 just in the fridge, not sure the yeast and acetobacter are the same. As I said my wife just can't deal with deciding if the "funk" that forms on top is OK or not. A mother certainly should last a few months.

I couldn't agree more. Love freshly made sourdough bread with plain butter, or a sauce, or caramelized onions and sauteed mushrooms. I bake bread a few times a week.
Basic-Sourdough-Bread-recipe-10.jpg

Oh if only I could bake bread like that.

My crumb is too tight. I have read it is the wheat flouer we use here in the usa.

Obviously the crock was too clean. :)

My uncle (who served several tours in the Korean conflict doctoring) remarked how they buried the crocks, (even outside the barracks) until the spring arrived. The Korean variety was, as he recalled to me, quite heavy on the garlic.

We think it's brutally cold at 18F here in NJ in 2019 -- back in the early 1950's in Korea it was 40 degrees cooler.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Mark--have you tried the preheated Dutch oven trick? You might get a bit more even crumb / oven spring. Lovely looking boule and nice crust!
I tried it and it helped. But the New Yorker in our family strongly (strongly!) prefers fresh baked rye bread that closely matches the loaves she used to buy in Bronx bakeries in the 1960s. After dozens of (enjoyable!) test loaves, the final recipe with the old and cherished Bronx bakery flavor profile, includes these additions
They eliminate the need to store and nourish a bread-mother. Recipe attached.

_

Attachments

• Rye_bread_NYC_bakery_style.pdf
    24 KB · Views: 36
A local baker uses cocoa to color his pumpernickel bread. I bought a loaf ONCE...

Lazy folks may find it useful to make more dough than needed and freeze some before the final rise. Then it is thaw and bake. Non-stick bread pans can be a useful tool for making boring loafs.

Then there is the issue of what is the best kind of rye bread to toast and eat dripping with butter.

I tried it and it helped. But the New Yorker in our family strongly (strongly!) prefers fresh baked rye bread that closely matches the loaves she used to buy in Bronx bakeries in the 1960s. After dozens of (enjoyable!) test loaves, the final recipe with the old and cherished Bronx bakery flavor profile, includes these additions
They eliminate the need to store and nourish a bread-mother. Recipe attached.

_

Thanks! Sounds like you've got a good recipe for your clientele.