The food thread

Some twenty+ years ago my uncle had been quite the home brewer, and after experiencing some of the great varieties during that time, I can truly appreciate the craft.
Nowadays I hardly consume alcohol, but can gladly do so when it’s that good...

Today it’s going to be a batch of ginger molasses cookies for the family to enjoy.

Well minus the banana leaves that’s exactly how those listed activities work out......everyone stands around the table eating with their hands until ready to pop!
Theres even special tables kept with holes in them where the shells and remains get pushed into with a garbage can underneath.

Edit.....nothing ‘creepy’ about it, messy comes to mind! It’s rather fun getting covered with the juice du jour!

Last edited:
No thing such as too much food... :p

Ok. This evening dinner: fresh sourdough bread (made by a friend) dipped into the sauce of this lunch (cooking juices from pork roast and veggies, reduced in a pan with honey and soy sauce) mixed with a very mild homemade hot sauce (one tomato, one carrot, one onion, four cloves of garlic, one 3cm piece of ginger, four or five bird eye chili, all chopped and cooked slowly in olive oil, before being blended with some cider vinegar). Meatiness, sweetness, a hint of hotness... simple things can be so satisfying.

I couldn't agree more. Love freshly made sourdough bread with plain butter, or a sauce, or caramelized onions and sauteed mushrooms. I bake bread a few times a week.
Basic-Sourdough-Bread-recipe-10.jpg

Great Grandma used to make Sauerkraut from scratch
(No self-respecting German-American from the 1890's would BUY the stuff.)

Used to use a Cabbage-Slicer (think old-school, scaled-UP Mandolin Slicer) made from Wood with a steel blade to slice consistent, FLAT, approx 1/4" (about 6mm) thick slices

Put into an open-top earthenware crock about 8" (20cm) diameter X 18" (500 cm) deep.
Then, just a sprinkle of salt, put another layer on top and pound it with a square-ended block of hardwood.
Then, put it outside and let it "do its thing" maybe keep it inside in a cool place to let it get started.

Maybe a small plate on-to to weigh the solids down and skim-off the "funk" that grows on top.

I've never attempted it myself, but she said that's all there was to it