The food thread

Now for the piece de resistance (sp?) of pepper sauce. I offer you the fruits of my labour. 2.2 kg of unnamed red chilies, picked fresh from the garden.

Took over 7 months and... ahh... who am I kidding, it took less than 7 minutes to pick these prime babies while shopping.

I wonder why I even grow my own anymore; when I walk into one of the local markets today, and right in front of me is this big bin of nice reds at $1 CAD or 75 cents USD a pound. Totalling $4.82 this is less than a mug of beer at most local pubs. I have been waiting for the reds to show up because the greens, while great for cooking, lack the visual appeal when relegated to sauce duty. Before today, the best I saw reds at was 3-4 bucks a pound.

My hands, while very spicy right now, are clapping and are careful not to touch anything sensitive. :)

Attachments

• IMG_1403.jpg
    IMG_1403.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 76
I was unaware but am hoping the same.

Taking down two 50ft high trees in our garden at the end of the 2017 summer resulted in a neck trauma.
An MRI revealed that I have a congenital narrow cervical spinal canal, no liquor present on one side of the spinal cord.
The MRI also showed herniated discs at three locations, C3-4, C4-C5, C5-C6, two of which pushing against the spinal cord.
C1-C2 were likely also luxated, causing added troubles

Back to the pepper sauce for a moment.
2.2 kg peppers, stems removed, caps left on, soaked 2 hours in ice water
1 litre dechlorinated tap water, 500ml for blendering, 500 for covering mash at the end
170 g coarse salt, never use iodized table salt
1 large yellow onion, skinned and halved
2 bulbs skinned garlic
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp yogurt liquid

Lightly blender the peppers, salt, 1/2 the water
Place the onion and garlic in the bottom
Pour the mash over
Add enough water to cover
Add sugar and yogurt liquid
Stir, cover, leave for a month until the fermenting is fully stopped
Then
Put in fridge for another 1-6 months or so to age.
Blend thoroughly, run through the mill and bottle
IIRC, this yield about 3 litres, maybe a little more.

Attachments

• IMG_1405.jpg
    IMG_1405.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 58