Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The diyAudio Store A forum for discussing anything about the products available in The diyAudio Store.

Amp Camp Amp Kit V1.6
Amp Camp Amp Kit V1.6
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th June 2019, 08:58 PM   #531
Azookey is offline Azookey  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
As for sound, there is more 2nd harmonic overall when feeding the signal with the RCA, as the distortion spectra of the two sides of the amp end up being additive. It actually sounds quite nice overall. But it's absolutely different.

So are you saying that any distortion the amp creates is cancelled out if using a balanced input?
Old 25th June 2019, 10:36 PM   #532
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Amp Camp Amp Kit V1.6
It’s actually the other way around- when bridging with RCAs the 2nd gets increased.
Old 25th June 2019, 10:54 PM   #533
Azookey is offline Azookey  United States
diyAudio Member

But when bridging with XLR , I thought I read somewhere on here that distortion gets cancelled.
Old 29th June 2019, 02:06 PM   #534
astromo is offline astromo  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azookey View Post
But when bridging with XLR , I thought I read somewhere on here that distortion gets cancelled.

I wouldn't think distortion will be cancelled.

Certainly the start up "fart" sound disappears (I can vouch for that). Stray noise will be cancelled as a function of balanced operation:
Balanced audio - Wikipedia
plus, you get a bit more grunt as a bonus:
Balanced audio - Wikipedia
Old 25th July 2019, 07:08 AM   #535
gkannan is offline gkannan  India
diyAudio Member

I am using the 1st version of AmpCamp now, and would like to upgrade to the balanced mono block version.
But I am not able to understand the power rating versus impedance.

The reason for upgrade is to enjoy the benefits of 15W RMS power at much lesser distortion.

But I find that the power rating even in the balanced mono mode is given as only 5 watt RMS on 4 ohm load whereas 15 watt RMS on 8 ohm load.
Am I missing something here.

My bookshelf speakers are rated at 4 ohm, so does this mean I have no advantage in upgrading my AmpCamp.
Old 26th July 2019, 03:57 PM   #536
Mazeppa is offline Mazeppa  United States
diyAudio Member

Amp Camp Amp Kit V1.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkannan View Post
I am using the 1st version of AmpCamp now, and would like to upgrade to the balanced mono block version.
But I am not able to understand the power rating versus impedance.

The reason for upgrade is to enjoy the benefits of 15W RMS power at much lesser distortion.

But I find that the power rating even in the balanced mono mode is given as only 5 watt RMS on 4 ohm load whereas 15 watt RMS on 8 ohm load.
Am I missing something here.

My bookshelf speakers are rated at 4 ohm, so does this mean I have no advantage in upgrading my AmpCamp.
I understand the term "upgrade" in this context indicates modifying the amp to alter/increase performance.

It sounds as if you may be referring to changing the operating mode of the amp(s). Should that be the case, the "ACA V1.6 Operating Modes" chart may be helpful to you.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/10...ation_RevA.pdf
Old 14th August 2019, 12:16 PM   #537
hawleyw is offline hawleyw
diyAudio Member

Default Grounding of heatsinks?

Im putting together and ACA with a custom chassis and pillaged heatsinks.
The diyaudio build guide says to check that your pcbs have no stray leads extending down /touching the heatsink because the heatsink is grounded.
How/where is the heatsink grounded in the kit? Does it need to be grounded?

Im asking because my design has the pcbs mounted to wood, not directly to the heatsinks; the connections from the transistor legs are jumped to the pcbs with some wire. Do I need to add an additional ground connection from the heatsinks to the board?

Sincerely,
Hawley
Old 17th August 2019, 08:03 AM   #538
Alan4411 is offline Alan4411  Wales
diyAudio Member

The heatsinks in the kit ACA are 'grounded' in 2 ways.
Primarily via the outer ring of the power connector (step 30 of the 1.6 Build guide) directly to the rear chassis then through the metal work to the heatsink.
Second the metal stand off (step 15) to the -ve track on the ACA board, though some standoffs are nylon.

It is not strictly necessary to ground the heatsinks, but it is best practice. Try it and see...

Alan

Amp Camp Amp Kit V1.6Hide this!Advertise here!